What's The Name Of The Game

Way Too Much Baggage

“Hey Anna?” Kara asked, out of the blue as they continued skating.

“Hm?” Tianna responded. She had been looking over at Jon and Pat, who were deep in conversation.

“I was wondering…well it’s just that…I mean-”

“Yeah, it’s fine. Go ahead,” Tianna consented, without letting her friend finish her request.

“How do you even know what I’m talking about?” Kara challenged. Tianna turned to her with a smirk.

“Oh, so you weren’t talking about dating Patrick?” Tianna teased.

“How…” Kara trailed off, unsure how to even formulate a question.

“Kar, you and Patrick are my best friends. I know you,” she answered, without even needing to hear the question. “Besides, Pat already asked me if he could ask you out. Which I’m guessing he did.” Kara nodded, a small smile playing on her lips.

“I told him I couldn’t answer without talking to you first,” she informed her friend. Tianna nodded and looked over to the boys again. “I think you should apologize.”

“What?” Tianna asked, turning her attention back to her friend.

“You heard me. I think you should apologize,” Kara reiterated, motioning toward the young men.

“For what?”

“Being a bitch,” Kara smirked.

“Pat’s used to it. He’ll get over it,” Tianna waved off.

“I wasn’t even referring to Patrick. But now that you’ve mentioned it, you should still apologize to him too. He’s doing you a big favor, and so far all you’ve done is harass him,” Kara scolded.

“Yeah,” Tianna sighed. “I guess I should apologize to him.” Kara cleared her throat, as if signaling Tianna should have more to say. “What?”

“What about Jonathan?” Kara pointed out.

“What about him?”

“You need to apologize to him too. He was worried about you. It was sweet,” Kara said.

“You do realize he was the one who hit me, right?” Tianna asked incredulously.

“First of all,” Kara began, “It’s not like he assaulted you. He checked you during a game of hockey, which is totally normal. You know you would’ve been more pissed if he had held back.” Tianna rolled her eyes, but knew her friend was right. “Second of all, he instantly regretted it, and apologized.” Tianna went to comment but Kara held her hand up to silence her. “Look, Anna. It doesn’t matter who’s right and who’s wrong right now. You need to kiss ass because not only is Pat doing you a favor, but Jon is as well. It’s his apartment too.” Kara’s words sunk in to Tianna’s skull, and she sighed.

“Fine,” she conceded. They skated off the ice and toward the men who were quietly arguing. They didn’t notice the girls approach.

“Well what the fuck Pat, were you ever going to tell me? Or did you assume I wouldn’t notice that she hadn’t left?” Jonathan accused.

“I was gonna tell you…I didn’t think it was gonna be such a big deal,” Patrick defended.

“It wouldn’t be such a big deal if she wasn’t such a bitch,” Jon replied. Tianna bit her lip, and waited for Pat’s response, to defend her. When he didn’t say anything, she backed away slowly and quietly, leaving Kara standing there. Patrick heard shuffling and turned toward the sound, Jon following suit. They saw Tianna walking away and Kara standing there wide eyed.

“Shit,” the men both muttered simultaneously.

“Why didn’t you guys say something when you walked up?” Patrick asked Kara.

“Well, excuse me. I’m sorry if I was supposed to know you guys were going to be talking about things that hurt my best friend,” she spat.

“Well it’s not like any of it was untrue,” Jon muttered under his breath.

“Yeah, and she realized that. She came over here to apologize,” Kara informed them. “I’m glad she didn’t. You both don’t deserve it.” With that she turned on her heel and walked away.

“Kara, wait!” Pat called, going after her. He caught her wrist and turned her around, and they began having a hushed discussion. Jon looked at the doors which Tianna walked through, and decided to go find her and talk. He walked outside, the brisk air hitting him like a wall. He spotted Tianna across the street, sitting at a picnic table overlooking a lake. He approached her softly, not wanting to set her off. After he stood behind her for a few moments and she didn’t sense him, he spoke.

“Hey,” he greeted. Tianna jumped slightly and turned her head toward him, but then looked away quickly. He saw her wipe her cheeks furiously, as if trying to hide that she was crying.

“Hey,” she replied softly, turning her whole body around in her seat to face him. She shivered slightly.

“Can I sit?” He requested, motioning to the spot on the bench next to her. She nodded, brushing away a few more tears that had betrayed her. A breeze floated through the trees and she shivered again. Jon wordlessly took off his Jersey and handed it to her. She looked at him, clad in only under armor and shook her head.

“Won’t you be cold?”

“I’ll be fine,” he assured her, pushing it out to her some more. She reluctantly took it and slipped it on. His scent overwhelmed her, and she tried not to look too dazed.

“Thanks,” she offered. He just nodded. After a few moments she spoke again. “Listen, I just wanted to apologize for being such a bitch, I don’t-”

“No, I want to apologize. I haven’t been the easiest to get along with either,” he interrupted. “How about we just start over?” He suggested. She smiled. “I’m Jonathan,” he said, sticking out his hand.

“Tianna,” she laughed, putting her hand in his and shaking it. Suddenly her smile fell. “Um, look, about the whole living with you guys thing. I think I’m just gonna tell Pat to forget it.”

“Why?” Jonathan inquired, furrowing his eyebrows.

“I didn’t know that you didn’t know, and I feel bad springing it on you guys. I don’t want to be a bother,” she shrugged.

“It’s not your fault Patrick’s an idiot,” he remarked. “I’m sure things will be fine.”

“Are you sure?” She asked. He nodded.

“I don’t know how long you’re gonna get by with just one duffel bag though,” he laughed.

“Oh…yeah. That. Um…it’s complicated. But I can get the rest of my stuff later, it’s no big deal,” she replied. He nodded again, not wanting to push her.

“And Kara? What’s her deal?” Jonathan questioned.

“I have no idea. Right now most of her stuff is at her dorm in Champaign, because that’s where she goes to college, but she’s transferring up here next year. She was going to stay with me, but then my living situation got…compromised. Obviously,” she laughed.

“We’re gonna have to get some more beds,” Jon said absentmindedly.

“What? Why? Really, Kara and I can share one, it’s no big deal,” Tianna told him. Jonathan let his thoughts drift to an inappropriate place before snapping back to reality. He cleared his throat.

“Uh, yeah, that’s fine and dandy but I’m not sharing one with Kaner,” Jon smiled.

“There’s only two rooms?” Tianna asked, astonished.

“Yeah.”

“Oh, I didn’t know…I can always take the couch, it’s cool,” She offered, assuming that Kara and Pat would end up in the same room anyways.

“You’re not sleeping on the couch,” Jon declined, standing up. She stood with him as they walked back towards the ice rink.

“But-”

“But nothing. Let’s go find Pat and Kara and sort everything out,” he said, grabbing her hand and leading her into the building. It had been a natural instinct, but as soon as he did it he freaked out inside. He hadn’t meant to grab her hand, it just kind of happened. She wasn’t pulling away though, so that was a good sign. He didn’t dare look back at her, but if he did, he would’ve seen the slightest blush on Tianna’s cheeks and the smile she was trying to hide. The duo looked around for Pat and Kara for a while, but couldn’t find them.

“Where could they have possibly gone?” Tianna voiced.

“I have no idea,” Jon shrugged. They opened one final door and Kara came tumbling out, Pat attached to her lips. They landed on the ground, Pat on top. Jonathan and Tianna stared at them wide-eyed and slack jawed, both unable to comprehend the situation.

“Uh…hey,” Pat sounded.

“Well…Looks like sleeping arrangements have changed again,” Jon said, looking at Tianna. Pat got off of Kara and helped her to her feet, and they both stood in front of Tianna and Jon beet red.

“Uhmmm T-bag can I speak with you for a moment?” Patrick asked, not waiting for her answer as he dragged her out of Jon’s grasp and over to a corner. Jon and Kara were the least acquainted, as of now, anyways, so they just stood there awkwardly.

“Listen, Annie, don’t be mad okay I just-”

“I’m not mad,” Tianna assured him. In fact, she was giddy that the two closest people to her were getting along so well. Pat’s face contorted in surprise.

“Oh. Well…oh. Okay,” Pat nodded.

“Do you think you’re maybe moving kind of fast? I mean you just met her like a few hours ago,” Tianna pointed out rationally.

“I know, but I really do like her. Honest,” Pat swore. “And I mean, technically we’ve talked before.”

“When?”

“I called you once and she answered while you were in the bathroom or something. We got to talking and we hit it off. After that we talked all the time,” Patrick confessed.

“Okay, Pat. But you better not-”

“You don’t even have to finish that sentence. I’m not gonna hurt her, I promise,” he assured. She nodded and they walked back over to Jon and Kara. Patrick immediately threw his arm around Kara’s shoulders and led her out of the building. “We call backseat!”

“Ew,” Tianna sounded. Jon chuckled as they all got into the truck. By the time they had gotten back to the apartment, Tianna had fallen asleep.

“Kaner, get your cousin,” Jonathan ordered.

“Why me?” Patrick asked.

“Because she’s your cousin,” Jon pointed out. Kara snickered as they all stood outside the car, waiting to go inside. Pat grabbed Kara and hoisted her over his shoulder and grabbed everyone’s bags.

“Sorry man, hands are full,” he smirked. “I’ll leave the door open for ya,” he said, walking into the building. Jon rolled his eyes and went to Tianna’s side of the truck. Jon was glad he had a truck since the elevation made it easier to grab Tianna without waking her up. He held her bridal style as he kicked the door closed with his foot and pressed the button on his keys to lock it up. He carried her up to the apartment and sure enough Pat had propped the door open with Jon’s duffle. As Jon was walking through the door he kicked his bag inside, letting the door close behind him. Pat and Kara were in the living room watching TV on the couch.

“Kaner what am I doing with your cousin?” Jon asked, causing Pat and Kara to both look at him.

“Whatever you want man, just use a condom,” Pat smirked. Kara gasped and hit his arm. Jon glared at him and Pat laughed. “I dunno, I guess go put her in bed.”

“Okay, but we never discussed what the room situation was gonna be. I didn’t know this was gonna be a permanent thing,” Jon stated. Tianna shifted in his arms and snuggled closer into his chest. He glanced down at her before forcing himself to look back up at Pat.

“Put her in your room for now; we’ll all talk when she wakes up,” Patrick announced. Jon nodded and walked away.

“What are you playing at Mr. Kane?” Kara asked suspiciously.

“I dunno what you mean,” Patrick answered, playing dumb.

“Oh, you know exactly what I mean. Are you trying to hook them up?” Kara questioned.

“Duh,” Pat said, pecking her on the lips. Kara still looked worried however. “Don’t worry. Jon’s a god guy. They just hit it off on the wrong foot. They’re perfect for each other.”

“Alright,” Kara sighed, leaning on his shoulder. He smiled and they went back to watching TV.

Jonathan carried Tianna into his room and shifted her so he could hold her with one arm and pull the blankets on his bed back with the other. He placed her in his bed and couldn’t help but wish it were under different circumstances. He shook his head at his thoughts. This girl had way too much baggage.

However, he did notice the tingly feeling he would get every time he looked at her in his jersey. This led Jon to imagine her in only his jersey. He shook his head again, leaving before he did something stupid.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, the general consensus is the longer version, so that's what I'm gonna do =)