This Isn't a Fairytale, It's My Life!

Meeting the Beast

My name is Belle. Yes, from Disney’s Beauty and The Beast. You got it. My mother loved the movie, and loved the play even more. Though I don’t think she realized how much it would affect me.

I like my name, yes but I’m certainly no princess and when I fell in love I certainly never thought of Nick. He isn’t a beast; he’s just a jerk. Are you really sure you wanna hear this story? Well here is goes anyways.

“Belle?” My mom called to me from the living room, as I was in the kitchen making a sandwich.

I finished my turkey sandwich by putting a slice of bread on it and walked back into the living room. She shut her cell phone with a large grin. “Yeah mom?” I sat on the couch in front of her.

“I just talked to Charlie, and she wants to visit.” She smiled. “Maybe even move here. Would that bother you if she moves here?” she hoped I wouldn’t care.

“No mom, I want you to be happy.” I took a bite of my sandwich and smiled.

She just smiled ear to ear and I walked upstairs. I pulled out my acoustic guitar playing a song and singing. I loved to sing, and I thought I was good. My mom said I was too but my ex never did, so I quit except for when I felt really compelled.

I slammed my car door as I walked past Derek and his goons. I scowled as I overheard them laughing about something regarding me. I wanted to avoid them at all costs but I saw them everyday, and there was no getting around them as they laughed at my expense. I brushed my hand through the purple in my blonde hair and continued walking. I clutched my hand around my bag as I rushed toward my locker.

My school wasn’t huge, but it wasn’t small either. Though this was a fairly small town. I had known the majority of the people I knew since we were in diapers, except the new students. Most of them just jumped on the bandwagon of making fun of me.

I could already tell this was going to be a long day, my cousin Chelsea stood waiting for me as I stood at my locker. She twirled her blonde hair in her fingers. I turned around carrying my belongings in my hands. My arch nemesis Derek Thomas walked up to me with a cocky grin across his ugly face. Here we go. His brown hair, as perfect as always shimmered in the morning sunlight.

“Good morning Belle.” I tried to bite my tongue as my grip tightened on my binder, I didn’t have anything to say. “You look ugly this morning, as always.”

“You too Derek.” I smiled stupidly and walked away as he shoved my shoulders making me hit the floor. My knee slammed so hard into the ground I heard a crack and my binder hit my face violently, I’m pretty sure there would be a bruise there later.

I sat there on the ground as Derek and his posse laughed. One kid, that I didn’t recognize bent down pulling my stuff into his hands. He was cute, but he was with Derek and that was enough for me to hate him.

“Drop it.” I demanded. He looked at me with a confused face.

“I was just trying to help.” He defended himself.

“I said drop it.” I demanded again once again standing up. I ran my fingers through my hair and picked up my stuff quickly.

“Whatever.” He scowled walking away with Derek and the rest of his crowd.

“Belle!” she shouted. I huffed turning around, my hair moving with me. My cousin Chelsea rushed upto me in a hurry to help though I could take care of myself.

“What Chels?” I sighed rubbing my head.

Chelsea had one of those high-pitched annoying voices, but I still loved her even though the majority of the time she gave me a headache from talking too much.

“Zach asked me to go to Kings Island with him,” she shrieked.

“That’s great.” I nodded wondering where the direction of this conversation was going. “I thought you were going with me?”

Zach was one of Derek’s friends, and I didn’t care much for him but he was the nicest one out of that group and Chelsea had the hots for him since freshman year. He was cute, but way beyond help for being friends with that jerk. I talk to him from time to time when Derek isn’t around to tease him about it.

“Well I want to go with both of you, so I kind asked him to set you up with one of his friends.” She said nervously.

She looked at me as if she had something sour in her mouth, but still had a smile on her face, she was up to something and I was going to be in the middle of it. It wasn’t the first time she had done this, she was desperate for me to date someone even though I made it clear to her that I didn’t want to. I slammed my locker closed and walked to my first class.

“Why are you doing this to me?” I slammed my books down on my desk as I entered our Acting class. I startled the kid next to me who was buried in a novel. I giggled to myself. I loved my acting class, next to singing; I wanted to be an actress. The tables were neatly placed in two rows around the room.

“Belle, I just wanted you to have some fun.” She pouted.

“Whatever.” I scowled.

She took her seat behind me. She sat her books on her desk and turned to me
I rolled my eyes just as the new kid, I was assuming at this point, walked in. He was actually pretty cute, though I wasn’t going to tell anyone that. He was tall and muscular, he had reddish brown hair and he had dark brown eyes. He was wearing a black Mindless Self Indulgence shirt with jeans. He stopped at the teacher’s desk and handed him a slip. I opened my notebook and started writing the instant I hit the seat.

“Class this is Nick Madden.” He tried to get the attention of the rest of the class, to no prevail. Mr. Weaver was a really nice guy but not many students took a notice in him. Though I did. He was tall and lanky with dark hair and glasses.

He pointed to the empty seat next to me on the end and Nick started walking toward me. I watched nervously. He glanced at me but said nothing; I sat up staring in his direction. I was curious about him yes, but I knew he was friends with Derek, so no I was not interested.

“Okay kids, I’m putting you into pairs.” He explained as he walked the length of the classroom, “And each will perform a scene in two weeks. This performance will be half your grade so it’s important.”

I sat up in horror. “What?” I was excited, but half of our grade was a little much. All the students looked around at each other in a buzz of excitement.

“This will be a co-ed effort, each pair will be a boy and a girl.” He smiled in happiness. “You will draw a number from the hat, and the person with the same number will be your partner.” He whisked the hat off of his desk and started around the room.

“I hope I get paired with Belle.” Derek shouted.

“Lord, please don’t.” I looked up at the ceiling. “I am liable to kill him before two weeks is over.” I looked over at Nick who chuckled.

He was way to happy about this. Chelsea reached in for her number and read it, and I knew she was hoping to be with Zach.

He finally reached me and I pulled out a number 7.I hoped that I wasn’t partners with Derek. I quickly looked over at Nick who pulled one out and looked at it.

“You didn’t get paired with Derek.” He laughed. As he showed me his number, it was also 7.

“Thank god.” I was relieved. Nick smiled at me.

“Okay, now that you all have your numbers, find your partner and then come up here and stand with them.”

Nick looked at me with a smile standing as I stood. “Ladies first.” He gestured as he let me pass him.

We stood together in front of the room, as Chelsea and Zach joined us. She had the biggest smile across her face. It was cute.

“Damn it.” Derek smiled smugly. “I wanted to get paired with Belle.”

“Sorry dude, she’s mine.” Nick folded his arms with a cocky grin. He reached out to touch me but I folded my arms. I was strangely happy by the comment he made but something still made me think he was a jerk.