This Isn't a Fairytale, It's My Life!

That Night

My mom yelled from downstairs, which made me worry. I rushed down the stairs so fast I nearly tripped over my own feet. “What mom?” I stuttered in worry. Nick followed me shortly.

“This is for you.” She held out a large envelope, much like the one Nick received last week. I took it in my hands as the two most important people stood next to me, Nick pulled his arms around me as I attacked the envelope. I opened it in excitement as I read the opening letter. My eyes widened in amazement before I could speak.

“I got in.” I muttered.

“I told you that you’d get in.” Nick kissed my cheek.

“Congratulations sweetie.” My mom hugged me tightly. “You two should start getting ready for the night of your life.”

We smiled as we walked back up the stairs, and I turned to Nick. “I lied to you.” I bowed my head trying not to smile.

“About what?” he frowned slightly.

“I do have a dress.” I nodded. “I bought it a few weeks ago, before we were together, when Chelsea got her dress.”

“You do?” he wondered.

“Yes, and I was going to ask you to prom too.” I smiled.

“You were?” he stepped closer to me with a grin.

“Yes, you always seem to know how to have fun.” I blushed.

“I do when I’m with you.” He smiled embracing me. “It’s a good thing I have a tux then.”

I smiled pulling his arms off of me, and he gave me a funny look. “Go get ready.”
He nodded before going in his room and shutting the door.

I walked into my room, searching my closet, and found my black garment bag, that was hiding the dress, that no one had seen. I was so excited, because no one would ever think they would see me in this dress, and I was scared because I didn’t want to look to trashy, though I know I didn’t. No one would ever expect little old me wearing the outfit I had on and that was my intention. My heels didn’t match, but they still looked pretty amazing.

I slipped on my shoes, pushing my curls up into a messy bun. I felt amazing, and to top it all off I was going with the love of my life. A few weeks ago I would have never dreamed this would happen. I met Nick nearly two months ago, and I hated him in the in beginning, but now I’m so in love with him.

I was finally ready, as my mom knocked on the door. “Sweetie?” she said through the door.

“Come in Mom.” I smiled as she opened the door. She saw my dress still sitting on my bed, and I was in my underwear.

“That dress is beautiful.” She complimented.

“Really?” I felt a tear in my eye.

“Yes, and I am so happy for you two.” She hugged me. “You and Nick are so adorable together.”

“Thanks mom.” I grasped her hand as she stood in front of me.

“Use these.” She handed me a small box of condoms. My face instantly went red. The sex talk begins.

“MOM!” I shouted.

“Well, it’s human nature sweetie, and I just want you to be safe, Nick is the one man I trust you with.” She said fixing my hair.

I smiled still giggling as she stuck them in my black clutch. I knew I wanted to with him, but I wasn’t sure it was going to be tonight. I wasn’t sure if I was ready.

“Thanks mom.” I finally said after the embarrassment subsided.

“We are going to be gone tonight when you get home and won’t be back until Monday so please make sure you lock the doors.” She smiled as she opened my door. She saw Nick stepping out of his room. “Nick, she still has a bit to do, I’ll send her down in a bit, but your mom wants to talk to you.” I heard and rolled my eyes. The sex talk, I bet. She stepped back in my room, helping me get my dress on. I slipped through the pink satin and pulled the dress on as she zipped the back. “I wanted to give you something.” She replied after she zipped the back. I looked at her with confusion as she pulled a thin white gold necklace from a white box. She clasped it behind me as I looked in the mirror.

“Mom. Where did you get this?” I turned to her grabbing the heart on the necklace.

“I bought it for your graduation, but I thought you deserved it early.” She beamed in excitement.

“I love it mom, thank you!” I hugged her tightly as I gazed at my reflection in the mirror. I looked better than I ever thought I could look. I hoped Nick would like it.

“You ready for the best night of your life?” she smiled grabbing my hand. I nodded with a wide grin. “I’ll go down and tell Nick you are ready.” She walked down the stairs as I stood in the hallway. My stomach started doing flips as my heels clicked on the staircase. I had a tight grip on the rail so I wouldn’t fall. I walked into Nick’s view. His face was priceless as he remained speechless when I reached for his hand.

“You, You look beautiful.” He stammered.

“Thank you.” I giggled. “You look amazing yourself.” I smiled trailing his body. Tonight is the night, I thought to myself. Thank god for the condoms I continued thinking.

I wasn’t ever particularly, what’s the word, forward… until I met Nick, and with him I felt as if I had to be which was nice. Nick smiled taking my hand in his.

“Are you ready honey?” he asked.

“I certainly am.” I said picking up the skirt of my dress as he pulled my arm into his carefully.

We walked out to his car where he opened the door, the night was just starting, and it was perfect, no rain just a breeze. One more week of school and Nick and I would be graduating and heading off to New York. Chelsea knew of the idea, but didn’t know that I got in. I would tell her tonight though. I was excited for all these changes.

He smiled over at me before starting his car, and I leaned over to him kissing him with intense passion. “I love you.” I breathed. He had a hard time catching his breath but finally smiled.

“I love you too.” He started the car and smiled as he turned the wheel. He drove so strangely. Like a race car driver, which wasn’t the preferred method of most drivers but he seemed comfortable that way. I placed my hand on his leg tracing it up and down.

He looked at me again in the same warning look that he’d given me a week ago. “Don’t get me started.” He said in a cocky manner.

“What if that’s the point?” I shot back, catching him off guard. He said nothing and tried to focus as he drove to the hotel they were holding the prom at. We arrived after twenty minutes of awkward silence, he had to pull over once for an intense make out session as we arrived.

We walked into the luxurious hotel, with our arms around each other. I surveyed the hall, and there was a massive amount of people dancing and having fun, but I was looking for Chelsea and Zach. We weaved through the crowd with various greetings from our classmates and we bumped into them. Literally, and my butt skidded across the floor. Nick rushed to my side, and pulled me up against him softly. “I’ll protect you from Chelsea’s butt.” He laughed kissing my forehead.

“Please do.” I smiled. “But who’s gonna protect you from mine?” I giggled swerving my hips in front of him, making him crazy. He shook his head and embraced me as a slow song started.

“You two look amazing!” Chelsea screamed as she found me.

“Thanks Chels.” I smiled. “You look great too.”

Zach smiled and gave me a hug. “Nick is a lucky guy.”

“Zach, so are you.” I said to him as he let me go.

“I know.” He put his arm around Chelsea as she placed her hand in his over her shoulder.

“Well we’re going to dance more.” She winked.

“She’s crazy.” I shook my head as I wrapped my arms around Nick’s neck. He stared at me like I was the only person in the room, and I noticed as people started to fade away making him the only one in the room for me. It was the most amazing feeling that only three months ago I had nothing figured out, and now I know what I’m doing and who I’m going to be with for a very long time.

We graduated the next day and said our goodbyes to Derek, and the rest of our class as Nick and I headed home to pack his car. My mom is keeping mine for Charlie to drive and Nick said he would buy me a car and fix it up once we got to our new apartment.

“I’m sure going to miss you two.” My mom choked through her tears.

“You two be safe, and call us when you get there.” She kissed her son. We got our hugs in and they went inside as they embraced each other crying.

“I love you Belle.” He said as he placed the last box in the trunk.

“I love you Nick.” I kissed him as I placed my Scooby Doo in the trunk.

He pulled the hood down closing it and opened my door as I climbed in, he shut it behind me and climbed in himself before the car came to life and we started our journey to New York.