‹ Prequel: Fireworks.

Promise

1/1.

Snowflakes christened the Vancouver sky, creating a sheer curtain for the stars to peek through. Streetlights flickered sporadically, alternating between casting the world into blindness and setting it on fire. The dance halls and bars were all closed, having sent their lonely hearts home two hours before.

Down one alleyway, safely hidden away from the rare passing car or any curious eyes, two young lovers huddled together in a doorway, morphing into one large shadow in an effort to keep the cold out and emotion in.

"I don't want you to go," one murmured, warm breath bathing the other's neck. Needy hands pressed and grabbed, holding fabric tightly. "You could lie, say you need to take care of your mum. She needs you. I need you."

"You know that won't work," the other reluctantly sighed. "I'm not like you, I've no excuse. My family needs this."

"Fuck your family!" The words rang far down the deserted street and both automatically tensed, as if they half expected the cops to immediately swoop in. "They'd understand," he whispered, heart still racing and eyes darting madly about. "They'd understand."

"Understand what? That their son is a fucking faggot who won't give them any grandchildren? That I won't go to war because my love is staying back with asthma? Of course they'll understand, after they've torn me limb from limb for shaming the family name." He stepped out of the safety of the doorway and into the open air, hands grasping his hair tightly.

"I'm sorry," the other whispered, pulling his lover back into the full shadows. "I'm just... scared, for us both."

"I know." The accompanying sigh was almost louder than the previous words had been, stabbing the night silence. "I'm scared too, so much... but this is the only way..."

Neither of them knew what the last statement meant but they didn't need to. Desperate lips clasped each other tightly, bringing blood to the surface of attention starved skin. Cold air brushed under and through clothing, fighting with pounding hearts.

Only a few blocks away, the town clock tower chimed one, two, three times, loud enough to shatter the moment and separate lips from lips.

"I have to get home," one sighed, adjusting his glasses and brushing dirt off his threadbare jacket. "Mom wants me to go down to the market in the morning." A simple nod, unseen but noticed nonetheless, followed by another blood boiling, head spinning kiss conveyed all the emotion neither could express in words.

"We've still got two weeks until I ship out." The words sounded almost pleading, begging.

"Promise me, Frank." Light shimmered off the glasses again, making them look like twin pools of glistening tears.

"Promise you what?"

"That you won't die on me."

"Love never dies, Mikey. Even if we're an ocean apart, even if we'll never be able to be legally together... nothing can stop true love. It can only delay it for awhile."

"Promise?"

"Promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm considering kind of making this into a "mini-series" of sorts, with just little drabbles like this that would all be connected together. This would probably be in the middle of the series, which could definitely be read as stand-alones as well.

Thoughts/Opinions?

xo.