Status: Hiatus

Oh Baby, I'm a Fool For You

One Week

Image
I shuffled out of the staff meeting a few days after Nikolai had teased Ben. Unfortunately, I hadn't seen Ben once in the last three days. I had been assigned to attend to Will because Ben would be off with the second unit. If I had to guess, I'd say that Ben was avoiding me.
Jogging to the front of the hotel, I saw everyone piling into vans getting ready to take off towards their respective sets. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ben standing by himself, playing on his cell phone. Taking a deep breath, I walked up to him. "Hi," I said happily.
He flinched and looked up at me, his eyes sparkling. "Kaya," he said, "hey."
"So," I started, "how are you?"
"Fine," he answered, "and you?"
I shrugged. "A little bummed," I admitted, looking past his left ear so I wouldn't have to look him in the eye. "I've been assigned to Will since you're going to be with second unit."
Ben wrinkled his nose. "I don't like it either." The way he said it had an underlying tone that meant 'I don't like it either but for different reasons'.
"Well when the big fight scene happens in a couple of weeks, I'll be back to poking and prodding you," I teased.
He laughed and pocketed his phone, grinning down at me. "I'll look forward to that." Another underlying meaning, but this one wasn't angry; it was the complete opposite.
Scratching the back of my neck, I unintentionally loosened my hair tie, causing my long brown hair to tumble down my back. "Whoops," I laughed, my cheeks flushing. I began to reach back to put my hair back up, but Ben put his hands on my wrists. "What are you doing?" I asked.
Taking the hair tie from my hand, he put his hands on my shoulders and spun me around so I wasn't facing him anymore. "I'm helping," he said simply. His long fingers gathered my hair, brushing my neck lightly, causing me to shiver.
I felt like I was about to melt. My hands were literally shaking as the man I loved played with my hair. It was just like the few weeks ago when I fixed his hair. He was returning the favor.
"Ky."
Shaking myself from my brief trance, I realized that Ben had finished tying my hair into a ponytail.
He put his hands on my shoulders and turned me towards him. "Not bad," he said, complimenting himself. He reached forward and tucked a stray piece of hair behind my ear. "There," he murmured, his hand hovering just above my neck. "You're perfect."
The whole world vanished from around us. In that moment, it was just Ben and I, his fingers barely brushing my skin, and his faint-worthy words.
I forced myself to look into his eyes, and my heart just started beating faster. I took a small step forward, hoping he wouldn't notice. "You're breaking the rules, you know," I murmured.
"Screw the bloody rules," he whispered, his palm landing on the side of my neck.
"Nikolai is going to kill you."
"I don't care." Ben's face came closer to mine.
"Neither do I," I admitted.
"Kaya, I-"
A flash of light came from my right. I flinched violently and stumbled backwards, blinking furiously.
"Oh, geez, sorry miss, are you okay?" A tall, gawky man wearing square glasses was holding a camera securely in his hands.
"I'm fine," I said quickly, refusing to look at Ben.
"Are you sure?" he pressed, taking a few steps toward me with a hand outstretched.
Ben came up to us and clasped a firm hand on the man's shoulder. "She's fine," he said with a fake smile.
"I better go," I said to Ben, pointing towards the vans. "I'll see you later Ben- I mean, Mr. Barnes," I said hurriedly, and turned to run away as fast as my feet could carry me.
...
"Are you going to miss me?"
I laughed at Will, who was sitting in the makeup trailer with me. "You know, we've been working together for a week, and just because Ben is coming back doesn't mean I'll be disappearing." The week I'd spent being his personal makeup artist flew by, and in no time, I was going to be able to return to working with Ben.
"Yeah," he said, leaning back in his seat, "but now I'll only get half your time."
"I think you'll survive," I laughed as I dabbed some makeup remover onto a cotton swab. I made my way to him and put my fingers underneath his chin, tilting his head back. I gently wiped the foundation from his cheeks and forehead.
He sat in silence as I worked. By the time I turned and threw away the stained cotton swab, he found his voice. "Do me a favor?" he asked.
"Hm?" I turned around and leaned against the counter.
"Get a drink with me tonight," he said simply, standing up and shoving his hands in his pockets. "Just to celebrate our last day together."
I laughed. "I told you, I'm not-"
"Not leaving for good," he interrupted. "Just get a drink with me, Ky."
I wrinkled my nose and gave in. "Okay, okay. Just let me call Nik-"
"Just us," he interrupted again.
Narrowing my eyes at him, I said, "You're making me suspicious."
"Don't worry," he said, casually walking over to me, "I'm not going to kiss you again."
"You better not," I laughed. "Or else I'll tell Nik and-"
"I know," he interrupted once again. "Nikolai is not afraid to bloody his knuckles for his precious Kaya."
"Damn straight," I concurred.
"Come on, Ms. Modesty, let's get that drink," Will said, and slung his arm around my shoulders on our way out of the trailer.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know what you're thinking: What? An update? So soon? Yes readers, your eyes do not deceive you. This chapter, although short, is to commemorate that I have been writing/publishing this story for two years. Two years! It's such a long time! I'll admit, I feel a bit guilty for not writing more, but everything works itself out. I hope I don't go into three years of writing this... Nah, no chance there!
MY COMMENTERS, who are awesome:
XxForever_JuliettexX
Tix2G-er (To answer your question about whether or not these characters are based on people in my life, yes. Just like Kaya and Nikolai are different sides of the coin, I am the same. Kaya is the way I act a lot in my life, from the avoidance to the social awkwardness. Nikolai is the way I act with my friends, when I can really be outgoing and myself. Huh.. It's a brief look into the twisted ways of me.)
CallusedSilk (She's responsible for the awesome banner! She's pretty cool, have I mentioned that before?)
BrendonUrie
winddancerx17
annabre
xMy Heart Is A Fistx
musicallife17
CaspianIsMyHomeboy
You guys are awesome, as well are everyone who reads this!
Thanks for sticking with me for two years!
-Kari