Falling For a Ghost? How Is That Even Possible?

Surprise Face

Jingle jingle!

Martha looked behind me and smirked. “Well, if you get stood up by that Cale guy, don’t worry, because there’s a pretty nice looking young man staring your way.”

“Amy?”

Cale!

I twirled around in my seat with an apology and plead ready to leave my lips. But it wasn’t Cale. In front of me was a boy with brown hair, green eyes (AN: I know his eyes were green at the first, but I changed them), and pale skin.

“Austin?” I asked surprised. He looked just as surprised as me.

“Amy, I thought you were going out with your dad today?” His eyes skimmed the seats and areas next to me, but they were sparkly clean.

Think fast! “Uh, he canceled. Had to work late.” I felt like slapping myself. How lame of an excuse was that? That’s the most used excuse in the book! What didn’t you think of something original and exciting, like a crazy man had proof that aliens were real or something? Or maybe that a rumor was going around about a bomb being planted under the USA? God. I’m such a loser.

But Austin just shrugged and took a seat next to me. “Oh, sorry, that stuff happens I guess.”

I sighed. “Yeah. Say, what are you doing here?”

He smiled at me. “I had a sudden craving for chocolate cake, and I heard this place was the best.”

Martha let out a bark, starting Austin. “Sweetie, men don’t have cravings. Unless you’re pregnant, that it.” She eyed him carefully. “Are you sure you’re not a transvestite? Cause if you are, I just want to say that you look remarkable!”

Austin coughed uncomfortably. “Um, no, I’m pretty positive I’m one hundred percent male.”

“Anyways!” I said to interrupt the awkward and uncomfortable silence. “This is Austin. Austin, this is Martha.”

They shook hands.

“Two chocolate slices coming up!” Martha exclaimed and ran to the back of the kitchen.

Once she left, Austin and I talked about a lot of random stuff. I think he sensed that something was up whenever I explained to him that my dad always worked late and we barely got to spend time together. I mean, it was still early; I could have called Austin and told him my plans had been canceled. I could have asked him if he wanted to hang out or something, take him up on his previous offer. But I didn’t. Instead, I sat waiting, and waiting, and waiting…and hoping…

After an hour and a half I knew Cale wasn’t going to show up.

I deserved to be stood up. Hell, even Rick said he’d stand me up. I just wanted to know if Cale was okay or not was all. I wanted to know if he’d ever forgive me, ever talk to me again, and ever look into my eyes again. I wanted to know if he still thought we were perfect for each other…If we were still soul mates. Cale wouldn’t leave me right? He said so. He promised. But he’s not here…And I have no idea if he’ll ever come back. Ever.

Cale promised he would never leave me!

I needed to know if my heart was fated for misery for the rest of my life.

“Amy?” Austin asked. “Are you okay? You look like you’re fixing to be sick.”

I swallowed and nodded. Cale wasn’t one to break a promise. He’ll be back.

“You’re thinking of him,” Austin said quietly.

But I didn’t believe in soul mates! Why would I care about Cale this much when I knew that there would never be anything between us? I had to suck it up and move on. If Cale didn’t come back, then that was his fault. Austin was here, now, he forgave me, and he cares about me.

A real smile spread across my face as I looked into Austin’s green eyes. “Yes, I was, but it doesn’t matter. You’re here with me now, and that makes me happy.”

A slow smile spread across his face. “So I have a chance?”

I raised my eyebrows. “Chance?”

He blushed a little and looked away. “A chance with you.”

“Austin…” I said quietly. “I should be the one asking if I have a chance with you.”

He looked me in the eyes and it nearly made me melt. “Did you fart? Cause you just blew me away.” He tried to keep a straight face, but it didn’t work.

Both of started cracking up laughing.

“Does that ever work?” I asked after my fits of laughter were over.

He grinned at me. “I don’t know. Does it?”

I laughed and rolled my eyes. “Smooth, Austin. Really, smooth.”

We continued our conversation with occasional laughter and always guaranteed smiles. We stayed in The Diner until way past closing time and left when it was ten o’clock due to Rick kicking us out.

“So I’ll see you tomorrow?” Austin asked.

I nodded.

“Good. If you’re not there, I’m going to automatically assume you’ve been kidnapped.”

I frowned. “Kidnapped? By who?”

He grinned as if the answer was obvious. “Michael Jackson of course. Who else?”

I laughed. “I thought he had a thing for boys? If yougo missing then that’s what I’ll assume, okay?”

Austin’s gaze turned soft and sweet. “Or maybe we could disappear together.”

I instantly froze. That one little, meaningless sentence stabbed me with icy daggers. It reminded me of Cale. He could disappear whenever he wanted… For all I knew, he could be watching me right now.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow, Austin.” I waved him “bye” then got in my car and drove off.

When I got home, I was relieved Dad was passed out drunk on the couch. I was in too good a mood for it to be ruined by someone like him. Though I knew no matter how happy I was at the moment, there was still that little yearning in my chest for Cale.
♠ ♠ ♠
Super short, I know! And I'm sorry!
But hey, what can you do about it? Exactly.

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes! I really appreciate it!!!