In Her Dreams

Chapter Five.

Maggie-

I collapsed, I couldn’t see strait and everything was spinning. I could barely see as whoever ‘Jacob’ was punched Jack in the face, I couldn’t see the damage it had done. All I know is that in the next moments, with my arms cradling my head and my hands resting where my head had made contact with the wall, I couldn’t hear anything.

My tears were coming faster now and there was nothing I could do to stop them. I tried taking deep breaths to calm myself; I tried everything to forget the pain but nothing worked.

I felt a cold hand on my face; it felt good next to my burning skin. I could feel myself shaking and I tried to stop. I didn’t know him and he didn’t need to know me.

“Maggie?” His voice was soft and it reminded me of someone trying to lull an animal into false safety. The poor animal never seemed to know it was only to become domesticated. Someone’s new play thing. I shook my head.

He’s not supposed to know my name. No one ever knows my name. I was supposed to be forgotten.

It made me think about wanting change, I regretted ever thinking it now.

“Are you okay? I need to look at your head.” He said more urgent now. I could feel sticky warmth coming in contact with my hend and then I felt his slightly colder fingers prying at my own smaller ones.

“No…” I thought out loud. If I ended up in a hospital bed my father would kill me before Jack even had the time to apologize –-like he ever would anyway.

Both my head and the cheek that Jack had slapped were throbbing; I could feel a bruise coming.

“Why not, Maggie, why not? Please I just want to help.” The words rang through my ears and I shook my head almost fiercely. I didn’t want him touching me. He didn’t really care.

“No… because you’re all the same.” I said through clenched teeth. I wouldn’t let either pain that I was feeling leak through my voice. When I looked up into his face I could tell that he was slightly stunned. No one probably ever talked to him like that.

Shaking my head slowly I closed my eyes and tried to push him away. He moved back slowly, but then caught me before I toppled dizzily to the ground. My head hurt.

There were tears swimming in my eyes, I never thought I’d be hurt like this. Not here, not now. Not with him… or anybody for that matter.

Jacob supported my body as I leaned heavily on him. Trying not to throw up… the spinning had gotten worse. I thought it had been over, but it’d all come back so much harder. I tried shaking my head to get rid of it, I tried everything I could think of, but nothing worked. I let Jacob half drag me out of the dark corner and back into the sunlit parking lot. I kept my eyes clenched tightly shut, fighting away the sunlight.

“Too bright…” I moaned quietly. I could hear a quiet laugh and I could feel his body moving beside me. I took a few more deep breaths. “I’m sorry…” I mumbled. I could barely understand myself anymore. I really didn’t want to give up on him, I didn’t want to be more of a pain than I had to be.

“Shh… it’s my fault. Not yours.” I heard him whisper. His mouth was close to my ear and his breath had my hair tickling my skin. I shook my head slightly, but didn’t try to say anything else. I felt helpless, but safe.

It was comforting to think that someone cared enough to actually keep helping me after I stopped moving my own feet. It made me wonder why I was still moving at all.

Jacob-

As her body got harder and harder to drag, I tried picking her up like they do in those movies. It’s a ton harder than you think. I managed to get her feet off of the ground and carry her to the front door of my destination.

Shoving my shoulder against the door hard enough to make a thumping sound rather than a knock, I about dropped her. I decided it would be best to set her feet on the ground for a moment, when Pest got to the door he would be able to help.

My prayers were answered, I watched as Pest opened the door to give me a funny look.

Then he saw Maggie.

“Summers?” He said in awe before turning to me and ushering me inside. He had blankets covering most of his windows, blocking out most of the light.

“How do you know her, Pest?” I asked quickly before he noticed I wasn’t coming. He only shook his head and flung her other arm over his own shoulder, supporting her other side. We slowly got her to the couch before setting her down. “Zack, how do you know Maggie?” I asked slowly, using his first name. We usually only called him Pest, though his full name was Zachary Pester.

“Through Dylan.” He mumbled before turning back to Maggie. It wasn’t what I called an answer and as if to make matters worse even more questions popped into my head.

“What do you mean?”

Pest sighed before turning back towards me and sat on the ground leaning against the couch. “Dylan and I were real close, ya know? Well, one day I went to his house and Maggie opened the door.” I sat next to him against the couch too. He kept looking at the wall in front of him though.

He wasn’t telling me something.

“Are you going to tell me?” I asked looking at him.

He turned to look at me and shook his head a bit before asking a question of his own. “What happened to her?”

“Jocky Jack decided to take some shit out on her.” I shook my head and sighed before going on. “It’s my fault and I know it. I could’ve stopped a lot from happening if I would’ve just kept to myself” I shook my head again before looking at the ground to the left of me.

“Jake? You didn’t answer my question.”

“I missed most of it, but then I went to help her and he accidentally hit her… and her head… uhm…” I stopped not knowing how to explain what had happened. “Her head uhm… it hit the wall?” I said scratching the back of my neck as Pest looked at me. He shook his head again and turned his body so he was looking at Maggie.

“Yep. I can see that bein’ a bit much.” He touched the back of her head where it was bleeding before pulling away and sitting back down. “You know… I never did like that kid much.” He said turning towards me.

“Me neither.” I mumbled before leaning my head against the couch. I forgot all of the questions I had been ready to ask, I forgot why I had told him I was coming over. I remember having to say something, but not what I was going to say. I shook my head and laughed lightly before getting up.

“What do I do now?” I said out loud without meaning to.

“We get her to Dylan, that’s what.” Pest said getting up too. He was wearing a smile as he grabbed one of Maggie’s arms and flung it around his shoulder. I did the same and wasn’t expecting the next few words that came out of Pest’s mouth. “You know Dylan’ll kill ya… right?” Then he laughed.

This is why we call him ‘The Pest’.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have mixed feelings on this chapter...
For some reason I love Zack (Pest)... he can be sooooo annoying yet, at the same time, sooo loveable!
And once again... I can't spell..