Sequel: Sing Me To Sleep

Happiness and Heartbreak

Chapter 2

I was finishing up wedding plans. Yes, Jack and I did manage to set a date. It may all go to hell soon though, if what Zack called and told me he thought he saw was true. Could Jack really cheat on me on the road? I was sitting on my bed in my dorm room at the University of Maryland. I wanted to stay close to home so that I could see the boys when they came back. Currently, I was crying and going through my laptop, looking for any evidence that what Zack had told me was true. Since All Time Low had traded up to a tour bus and made a name for themselves, I could follow their adventures over the internet. Someone had to have gotten a picture of Jack and some random girl kissing. As I browsed, my roommate and best friend Megan walked in.

“Still upset?”

“Yeah…I just…I want to know. I’m not going to marry him if he thinks that he can make out with other girls when he gets lonely on the road. I mean, yeah, we rarely see each other, but you don’t see me shacking up with some random guy do you?”

“No, but instead of stalking him on the internet, why don’t you try calling him or fly out and surprise him. Figure it out for yourself. You want the truth, don’t you?”

“That’s actually a really good idea, Meg. I’m going to surprise him.”

She just shook her head at me and left the dorm again. She was probably going to go see her boyfriend Luke who lived in the dorm two stories below us. I had work to get to though. I quickly purchased a plane ticket for the following day out to Fort Worth, TX where the boys would be playing. Then, I called Alex.

“Hey Catie! Long time no talk. How’s school treating you?”

“Good Alex, look. You can’t tell anyone ok. I’m flying out to your show tomorrow. I decided to surprise Jack and come see him. I need to ask him some questions about the wedding. Can you believe that in four months we’re getting married?”

“No. My little sister shouldn’t be settling down so soon. Anyhow, I guess I can keep a secret for you. Just come around back and Flyzik will be out there to let you in.”

“Perfect. Thanks Alex. I’ll see you tomorrow bro, bye.”

With that, I hung up the phone and dug out my Ed Hardy duffel bag. I threw in some clothes and my makeup bag, and then lay down on my bed. Tomorrow could make it or break it for me and Jack, hopefully not the latter. I had given this boy my heart and I couldn’t bear breaking it off now, this close to what was supposed to be my happily ever after.

The next thing I knew my alarm clock was blaring and Megan was throwing pillows at me telling me to shut it the hell up. I jumped out of bed and ran to the shower, excited and nervous at the same time. When I got out I dried my hair, did my makeup and put on an All Time Low t shirt and a pair of jeans. I walked out and said goodbye to Megan who groaned and went back to bed. Well, here we go, I thought to myself. Tonight I would finally figure out the truth to what I had been so concerned about for the past few days.

When I arrived at the airport I went through baggage and checked my luggage and found my gate. I boarded the plane and waited. I had always hated flying, especially when Alex and I were younger and would fly with our parents to visit my dad’s family in England. I clutched the sides of my seat and waited for take off. The plane ride was excruciating, hitting lots of turbulence. Little did I know then that the turbulence on the plane was nothing next to what I was about to face.

After I got my luggage and hailed a taxi, I texted Alex and let him know that I was within minutes of the venue, to send out Flyzik. He replied that Matt was outside already, and that he couldn’t wait to see me.

Sure enough, Matt was outside when I pulled up. Thankfully, Matt paid the taxi driver and led me inside.

“What have you been up to?” He asked, making small talk along the way.

“Nothing, really. Planning a wedding.”

“That’s right; you and Jacky boy are getting married soon aren’t you.”

“Yeah. I need to run over some wedding stuff and really, I just needed to see the guys. It gets hard without them some days.”

He nodded his head and opened the door, motioning for me to go on in. As soon as I entered, Alex had engulfed me in a hug.

“I missed you so much!”

“I missed you too, Alex.”

I looked over Alex’s shoulder and saw Jack looking back at me, a small smile on his face.

“Hey Jack, do you want to go on a walk around the venue in a few minutes. I need to go over some stuff for the wedding with you.”

“Um, sure, that sounds fine.”

I talked to Rian, Zack and Alex for a little while longer and then linked arms with Jack as we left the backstage area.

“How are you, babe?” He asked, slowly becoming more himself.

“I’m good, I’ve missed you though.”

“I’ve missed you too.”

“So I need some help on the wedding planning, do you mind giving some input?” I asked as I sat down at the end of the stage, my legs dangling.

Jack sat down beside me and hesitated a bit.

“Look, Catie, about the wedding. Maybe we should hold off on it a bit. I just, I’m not sure if this is what I want anymore.”

With that being said, I felt my heart break. I lost it. Tears streamed down my face.

“Jack, could you tell me why?”

“Babe, Catie, I’m just not sure, ok. I mean, we’ve always been together. I kind of…I want a chance to play the field, meet other people. You can’t honestly say that you know that I’m the one for you.”

“Actually, Jack, I can. Or I could anyways. I have never had any doubts about us, about where we were going together.”

I slowly stood up, tears flowing faster and faster and walked away, never looking back. Jack called my name but I ignored it, going to go find Alex or anybody that I could talk to.

“Hey Catie, whoa! Are you ok? What’s the matter?” Rian asked, rushing towards me, soon flanked by Zack and Alex.

“What happened?”

“The wedding’s off.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? is it good so far? any advice?