‹ Prequel: Gin and Juice
Status: Finished {foREVer}

Rum and Coke

Runaway

Ellie headed straight for Bailey’s house. Halfway to the house, the clouds swooped in and rain began to pour from the sky. Her teeth chattered and her pace quickened. A loud crack of thunder and a streak of lightning tore through the calm night, sending Ellie to bolt to the house. Her hands shook from adrenaline and the cold as she reached up and gave the wood door two pitiful knocks.

Mrs. Smith looked every bit like a tired and worn out Army Wife. Her stony look and chiseled grey eyes softened upon recognizing the bone-soaked teenager on her doorstep. Mrs. Smith did not spare a second as she whisked Ellie inside and immediately wrapped her in a heavy coat that was still hanging on the coat rack by the door.

“What’s the matter, Child? You must be freezing!”

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Smith. You and Bailey were probably eating dinner. I-I’ll just go to Mark’s or Ryan’s…” Ellie trailed off as she turned around.

Mrs. Smith quickly reached out and grabbed the back of the teen’s shirt. “Nonsense! We were actually just picking around our food. Come, you can borrow some of Bailey’s clothes.”

“Mom! Who- Ellie? What are you doing here?” Bailey inquired as she walked into the foyer.
Mrs. Smith sent her daughter a sad smile. “Bailey, how about you let Ellie borrow some of your clothes?”

Bailey slowly nodded to her mother before taking her best friend’s hand in hers and leading her up the stairs.

“What happened?” Bailey inquired once the two girls were safe in Bailey’s room.

“We got into a fight. I don’t want to talk about it,” Ellie replied monotonously as she slipped one of Bailey’s FCK Cancer tees over her head.

“Ellie-”

“I said I don’t want to talk about it,” Ellie snapped. Ellie’s hard face softened when she saw the sadness in her only girl friend’s eyes. “Look, Bails, I’m sorry, I just…I wasn’t thinking.”
Bailey gave a small smile and advanced to the other girl. “It’s okay,” she replied, embracing the taller girl in a hug. “I guess we’re all a little bit jumpy tonight.” She added with a warmer smile.

“Yea, I guess so.”

Bailey nodded and rubbed her friend’s back. “Well, how about those clothes?” she asked, picking up the wet clothes off of the ground. “Here, let me throw these into the dryer. Why don’t you go into the kitchen, I’m sure mom has already fixed you something to eat.”

“Really, it’s not needed.”

“You’re right, but we want to do it. So, get. You know how impatient my mom can be.”

Ellie barely touched the large pile of food that Mrs. Smith put in front of her.

“Child, you must eat something,” Mrs. Smith pushed not even ten minutes after she put the plate down.

“I’m sorry, but I lost my appetite a few hours ago,” Ellie apologized.

Mrs. Smith nodded her head. “I know what you mean.”

“Your mother must be awfully worried. Should I call her? Or are you still staying with your uncles?

“There’s no need to call anyone. I’m fine and they know where I am.

Mrs. Smith nodded her head, not believing one word that Ellie had said. “Alright, off to bed now. It’s been a long day for all of us.” she said softly before whisking the plate away.

Ellie followed her best friend up to her room and sat down on the bed.

“Well?” Bailey asked as she sat down beside Ellie.

“Well what?” Ellie asked, feigning ignorance.

“Care to tell me what happened?”

Ellie shrugged her shoulders. “There’s nothing to tell. Mom and I got in a fight. I left. That’s it.”

“What was it about?”

Ellie scooted to the head of the bed and brought her knees up to her chest. “My father.”

“Your father?” Bailey queried. “Did you find out who it was?”

“No. I didn’t. I was basically told that the Patterson line will end with me.”

“Ouch. That’s a bit harsh.”

“Yea, tell me about it. But, anyways, I’m tired. Let’s go to sleep.”

~*~

“Ellie. Ellie.” A hoarse whisper broke through Ellie’s dream. “Ellie, come on, you must get up.”

“What? Uncle Jared, what’s the matter? Is it Mom?” Ellie panicked. Uncle Jared being here could not mean anything good.

“Come along. We must hurry. Where are your shoes? By the front door?” Jared asked as he dragged her out of bed.

“Ellie? What’s going on?” Bailey grumbled.

“Jared, are you sure this is necessary? Can’t you see that she’s dead tired?” Mrs. Smith asked as she trailed Ellie and her uncle down the stairs.

“I’m sure, Kaethe. Come along, Ellie.”

Ellie dug her heels into the doormat. “What happened, Jared? What’s wrong?”

Jared winced at the girl’s harsh tone. “I’ll tell you on the way.” He said quickly, tugging the girl completely out of the house.

“No, you’ll tell me now,” Ellie demanded as she refused to get into the car.

“It’s your mother. She doesn’t have much time left. Is that good enough for you?” he snapped.

Ellie gulped and quietly got into the car.

“Good. Glad that you finally see my point.”

The drive to the hospital was silent. Ellie had never experienced a silence so awkward before. Ellie broke it when the car pulled up into the emergency room parking lot.

“What exactly happened?” Ellie asked quietly. She wanted to stop all the horrible images that had been flashing through her mind during the drive.

“I don’t know. Kale and I found her in the living room, not breathing.”

Ellie closed her eyes and inhaled a sharp breath. She knew why her mother wasn’t breathing. She had caused it. “Please let her be okay,” Ellie whispered. If she had believed in God, she would have prayed, but she didn’t, so all she could do was hope and wish.

~*~

“I’m looking for Danielle Patterson,” Ellie told the receptionist in an eerily calm voice.
She looked up to the girl then to her computer. “What is your relation?”

Ellie fiddled with the locket that Kale gave her for her seventh birthday. “I’m her daughter.”
She nodded. “Danielle Patterson died just a few minutes ago. She’s in room 215 if you want to see her one last time.”

“Thank you,” Ellie breathed. Her brain had yet to process what the woman said.
Jared immediately pulled her into a large hug. “I’m so, so sorry. If only I had driven faster.”

If only, Ellie thought bitterly to herself.

“I’m so sorry, Ellie.”

That’s it. I’m officially an orphan now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Because my TWINIE is in pain and über depressed. I know it's not a very happy chapter, but it's what I got. Love ya, Hon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments? Is it better or worse than from before?