Here Lies The Waste

Chapter Two.

I stepped out into the hall and turned to my right.
There was a group of people gathered around in a circle. Surrounding something that they found interesting to watch. Maybe some nerd getting shoved into a locker.
It was a regular thing here.
However the cries sounded familiar to me.
And somehow I had a bad feeling about this.

I huffed, pushing my way through the crowd to see what was going on.
Jake fucking Harvey was sizing up to someone as per usual.
He thought he was so tough with his neatly combed blonde hair and his Smiths t-shirt. Even though he didn’t even know who they were the stupid fuck.

Just as I turned I heard the cry again, And I instantly knew who it was.
He was sizing up Rachel.
I turned back, my face rushing with blood.
I was angry.

When I looked back at him he had moved so I could see his hand wrapped around her delicate neck.
Tears were rolling down her cheek - her hands wrapped around his wrist.
Jake held her there with one hand while he was looking over at something else laughing as he did so.

“So what’s this then huh? Your diary? Doesn’t surprise me. You always was a freak.”
I looked over and realized that it was the book she had rested on her lap a few minutes ago.
As laughter filled the hall from his friends,
I stepped forward not really thinking about what I was doing.

“Fucking leave her alone, it’s none of your business if it’s a diary or what.”

He turned to me, and all eyes were on me.
Even Rachel’s - they seemed grey, as if the light in them was fading.
I could see the pain and hurt from just looking at her.
Something told me this wasn’t the first time.

“Who do you think you are to talk to me freak?”
He spat at me.
I rolled my eyes, wiping my face.
“I’m Will fucking Francis and I’m talking to this jerk in front of me that thinks that he’s the shit. Let her go now you idiot and give her that book back.”

People gasped, not sure why - he was just as dumb as the rest of them.
He grinned.
“Sure, I’ll put her down”

He over exaggerated the `put` and instead threw her down as well as her book.
He then left alongside his friends to just leave a circle of curious eyes looking on a helpless girl.

“What’s fucking wrong with you people!? You just stand there while someone’s getting hurt? It’s Fucking sick!”
Everyone looked at me again, their eyes digging into the back of my head or locking with my very own eyes. My hands were balled up into fists at this point.
Some people were just so fucking heartless.
It angered me to no end.

“If you’ve got nothing to say then I suggest you fuck off to your own pathetic lives.”
most people turned away, but others tried to look as if the lockers surrounding us were their own.
I rolled my eyes and knelt down next to her. Dumping my bag on the floor.

“Are you okay?”
My voice a softer tone than It was just then.
She nodded, wiping underneath her eyes.
“Yeah..I’m okay thank you. You didn’t need to do that just then. But I’m grateful all the same.”
I smiled at her and held out my right hand

“C’mon let’s get you cleaned up.”
She smiled and took hold of my hand, her fingers were cold as they wrapped around the back of my hand.
I pulled her up as I got back on my feet too - I pulled my hand back and reached for my bag as she patted the backs of her jeans wiping off the dust from the floor.
I glanced down at the floor and noticed her book lay there. I knelt down and picked it up - it was a vintage sort of book - with her initials written on the spine. A little ribbon hung from a certain page that she was up to. I stood upright and gave it back to her.

“Thanks.”
She took it, throwing it into her bag and we began walking down the corridor again, I gave the other people gathered there some threatening stares, they are stupid for just gawping and doing nothing.
“So what was all that about in the first place? Or would you rather not talk about it?”
She sighed

“It’s nothing, just he’s always doing things like that ever since we broke up.”
I raised my eyebrows in surprise.
“You used to date Jake Harvey?”
She nodded in reply.
“Why you break up?”

She sighed, hanging her head slightly.
“He tried to get me to have sex with him.”
I almost snarled.

“What did you even see in that jerk?”
trying to hide the fact I was gonna have a bitch fit in the hall.

“I don’t know - I just seem to fall for the bad guys…”
I shook my head with a sigh.

“Alright, c’mon let’s take you to the nurse. Your necks starting to bruise.”