Status: Work in Progress (i.e., updated occasionally)

Boy Proof

Pondering

As Devin warmed up his baritone by playing the F chromatic scale, he wondered about Dree. She was taking up a lot of his thoughts recently, but perhaps that was just because she was a part of one conflict his mind was working overtime to resolve.

Devin definitely didn't want to lose Dree as a friend, but she had told him -- actually told him word for word -- that he was no longer the Third Musketeer. Alex didn't just say things to say things. She always meant whatever she said. Didn't she? He wasn't so sure anymore. Of course, he wasn't so sure about a lot of things.

Did the musketeer thing mean that he was now considered dead to her and Shaun? Of course not. At least not to Shaun. Shaun was still talking to him, albeit a bit more coolly.

But why were Alexandria and Shaun mad? Because he got a girlfriend?

Devin knew that his friends weren't so petty that they would get angry about him having a relationship. So why were they mad? Maybe because he tried to spend as much time with Holly as possible? No, that wasn't it, he decided. They would understand that too.

As Devin neared the top note on the scale, it hit him. His friends weren't mad about his relationship with Holly. They were mad because he had kept it a secret for two months. Why did I do that? he thought to himself. Then, as quickly as he asked the question, he knew the answer. Dree.

Dree. He still couldn't figure her out even after a decade of knowing her and a year of being her best friend.

He liked her, didn't he? But as more than just a friend? Maybe yes, or maybe no. That was too hard a question to answer. It depended on so many things -- like the time of day or which way the wind blew.

Did she like like him back and was angry at him because she was jealous? Or was she fuming for a different reason, like being in the dark for two months?

Devin continued to ponder over his dilemma throughout class. He paid so much attention to the conflict in his brain that he neglected to pay attention to the real world. As a result, he missed nearly every note in the music, and the band director kept throwing glares Devin's way that he never even saw.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay for me. I got two out in one day.

As always, thank you for reading and feel free to leave a comment.

Elisabeth
6/10/09