Pick and Choose

Chapter 2

||Caitlin’s POV||

“Okay, so you have to whole story down? You know what to say if she asks anything?” Mike asked for about the thousandth time. I sighed.

“Yes, Mike, I know what to say,” I said. He nodded and I went to get ready for the game while he made dinner for all of us. Just as he finished up, Hilary came home. Thus, the test began.

“Hey Hil! I missed you! Did you have a good day?” He asked. I headed downstairs and shielded my eyes as I saw them kiss.

“Ew! Mike! Wait until your sister isn’t around to do that!” I said, grinning at them. Hilary turned toward me with a smile. “Hi, my name’s Caitlin. It’s nice to finally meet you,” I said, giving her a light, friendly hug.

“It’s nice to meet you, too! I never knew Mike had a sister!” She said.

“No one does, I’m not surprised. He never talks about me; I wouldn’t be surprised if his teammates didn’t know about me,” I shot him a fake glare. He stuck his tongue out at me, to which Hilary laughed.

“Okay, girls, dinner is served!” Mike said, and we walked into the kitchen.

“So, Caitlin, are there any stories you can tell about Mike when you guys were kids?” Hilary asked. I grinned.

“There was this one time where we were in the backyard at our parent’s house, and we had this plastic basketball hoop. Well Mike here, being the genius that he was, decided to go for a slam dunk on the thing, and ended up bringing it down on top of his head!” I said. She laughed and Mike winked as she turned toward me.

“How old was he when he did this?” She asked.

“Twelve,” I responded, causing her to laugh harder. He nodded his approval and smiled widely. He groaned shortly afterward.

“Cait, why do you have to tell her the embarrassing story?” He whined.

“Because it’s more fun that way!” I responded. He shook his head. We finished eating and Hilary and I went to get ready for the game. I came out wearing an Oilers Comrie jersey, game worn, that I had won in an online auction. Hilary walked out, hair and makeup done to perfection, wearing an Islanders jersey that I assumed was game worn and given to her personally by Mike. She smiled at me when she saw my jersey.

“Wow, it’s really… nice,” She said. It was old, I knew it was, but I loved it anyway.

“Thanks. Yours is really nice, too,” I said. I felt kind of inferior, like she didn’t like me or something. Maybe she saw through our act. I don’t know what it was, but Hilary Duff definitely doesn’t like me. I shrugged it off and we went downstairs to see Mike.

“Wow, Cait, I’m surprised you still have that! I expected you to have lost it by now!” Mike said. I fake glared at him.

“I’m not that bad, am I?” I asked. He laughed a little.

“No, you’re not. I’m just teasing you, Cait,” He said, messing up my hair. I slapped his hands away.

“Mike!” I whined. He laughed as we headed out to the car. As soon as we got to the arena, Hilary practically ran to the bar. I glanced at Mike who watched after her worriedly. I put a hand on his shoulder and squeezed it gently as we walked away.

|| Hilary’s POV| |

I ran to the bar as soon as we got to the arena. I sighed softly and the bartender walked over to me. I half smiled at him.

“You look like you’re having a hard time, little lady,” He said. I nodded.

“I think my boyfriend’s trying to break up with me,” I confessed. The guy stared at me intently.

“What tells you that?” He asked, leaning closer to me. I took a deep breath.

“Well, there’s this other girl that showed up yesterday who he claims is the sister he never told anyone about. I want to believe him, I really do, but I don’t know if I can. I mean, I’ve been with him for a while, but I feel like I can’t trust him,” I said. The bartender set a glass down in front of me. I picked it up and took a drink, not caring what it was. I downed it in a few minutes and he handed me another one. Ten minutes and three drinks later, I made my way to my seat, stumbling almost every step. I fell into someone. Looking up, I recognized Caitlin’s form as she helped me to my feet.

“Hilary, you don’t look so good. Are you okay?” I heard her ask. I dragged myself away from her.

“I’m fine,” I lied, holding back the urge to puke. She grabbed my arm and pulled me to the bathroom. She held my hair out of my face while I threw up everything in my stomach. Once I was done, she helped me to the sink to rinse my mouth out and clean up. “Thank you,” I whispered as I fell unconscious.

|| Caitlin’s POV ||

I caught Hilary as she passed out. I lay her carefully on the floor and pulled out my phone. I scrolled to Mike’s number and sent him a text that read:

Hil got sick. Don’t know what it is. I’m taking her home and I’ll stay with her. Don’t worry about us, we’ll be fine. See you after the game!
Caitlin :3


I sent the message and shut my phone. I picked up Hilary (She was so light!) and carried her out of the bathroom. My phone vibrated in my pocket as I got outside. I lay her on a bench nearby and pulled out my phone.

Wait outside for me! I’ll drive you guys home and drive back myself!
Mike <3


I picked Hilary back up and waited for Mike to come outside. He was out a short time later and he took Hilary from my arms.

“Thanks Cait,” He said as we got in his car. I smiled at him.

“No problem,” I said. He drove us home and took Hil inside. He lay her on the couch and I sat next to her. “See you after the game,” I said. He nodded, kissed me on the cheek and left. I turned on the television to the game and watched as the Senators lost to the Penguins 3-1. I got a text from Mike.

Is Hilary still asleep?
Mike <3


Yeah, she is. Why?
Caitlin :3


You want to come to dinner and meet some of the team (Not as my sister)?
Mike <3


Um, sure, I guess.
Caitlin :3


Great! I’ll come get you! Be ready in ten minutes!
Mike <3


I’ll be ready!
Caitlin :3


I got ready to go to dinner with Mike and was ready just as Mike got home. I smiled at him and he grinned at me.

“Ready to go?” He asked. I nodded and followed him out to his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for Caitlin! I hope you like it!!