Join the Band

You know I'm only doing this coz I love you

Why do we like to hurt so much?
Oh why do we like to hurt so much?
That's what you get when you let your heart win!
Whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa.
Now I can't trust myself with anything but this,
That's what you get when you let your heart win, whoa


I closed my eyes, pretended I was in my room and somehow managed not to screw it up. I slowly opened my eyes and turned to look at the guys. Joe was clapping harder than I thought possible for a person to clap, Matt and Zane were standing there with their mouths gaping open and Jai was grinning at me with a look that said ‘I told you so.’ I winced.
“Close your mouths, guys, there’s no way I was that good.”
“Are. You. KIDDING!?!” Matt exclaimed, making me wince again. “Why didn’t you tell us you were that amazing!?!”
“Uh, coz I’m not.”
“He’s right Haylee, you are amazing.” Now it was my turn to stand with my mouth gaping open, Zane never compliments me.
“I told you you were good.” Jai said his cheeky grin still stuck on his face. I blushed.
“C’mon guys, maybe I’m ok here but I had my eyes closed and my mind was in my room, there’s no way in hell I’ll be able to do it in front of people.” I said desperately. The guys exchanged looks. Looks that scared the shit out of me. “What are you guys up too?” I asked suspicious.
“Nothing.” Jai sing-songed with put on innocence. I raised my eyebrows at them.
“You’ll find out.” Matt said grinning. I groaned.
“I hate male telepathy.” I muttered under my breath. The guys didn’t seem to notice.
“Hey you guys hungry? There are pizzas up here if you guys want lunch.” Mum was standing at the top of the stairs and narrowly escaped being run over by the stampede four teenage boys make when there’s pizza in the picture. She was laughing as I made my way up the stairs and, as a sign of what a wonderful mother she is, made no mention to the troubled expression I knew my face was wearing.

~~~


“I really don’t see the point of this.” I complained as I almost tripped down the stairs, again.
“You’ll see.” Jai replied, holding my arm so I wouldn’t tumble to my doom, a smirk playing on his lips. At least that’s what it sounded like.
“Well I’m not gonna see anything until you take this blindfold off!” We reached the bottom of the stairs and I heard Zane laugh. I groaned. “We’re in the basement aren’t we? You’re gonna make me sing again.”
“Yes we are, but that’s what the blindfold is for, you can be in your own world and just sing. It’ll help you get over you’re stage fright I promise.” I sighed.
“Fine, Jai lets just get this over with.” He led me to the mike and I reached out and grabbed it. The music started and I tried to forget the guys were there and concentrate on singing.

God my fingers burn,
Now when I think of touching your hair
You have changed so much that I don't know,
If I can call you and tell you I care
And I would love to bring you down,
Plant your feet back on the ground
You think you're so beautiful
So beautiful


There was a massive round of applause when I finished and I froze.
“Oh no.” I whispered.
“Oh yes.” Jai whispered back as he took my blindfold off. In front off me sat about 10 of my friends, including my best girlfriends – Zoe and Belle – all smiling up and me and clapping wildly. I started at them for a moment before glaring at Jai and running out of the room. When I reached my bedroom I dived on my bed and hid my head under a pillow. I could feel the blush on my cheeks as I heard someone enter my room.
“Go away.” I mumbled.
“C’mon Haylee, I was just trying to help your stage fright.” Jai replied. I pulled the pillow off my head and looked up at him.
“Well you went about it the wrong way.” I retorted, “You saw how hard it was for me to sing in front of you and the guys how did you think I would feel when I found out I was singing in front of all those people?”
“I thought you’d be relieved when you realised that you could do it and how amazing you are.” He replied.
“Ok first, I’m not freaking amazing; I don’t know why people keep telling me that! And second I was not “relieved” I was fucking embarrassed. You might like being the centre of attention but if you took a second to think about other people’s feelings you’d realise that not everyone’s like you, some people, like me, prefer to stay in the background thank you very much.” Jai just looked at me through my rant with a blank expression and when I finished he took a deep breath a replied calmly,
“If that’s how you feel then.” For a fleeting moment I saw the hurt in his eyes, then he turned and walked away. I watched him go as my anger became replaced with my own hurt.
“Shit.” I mumbled and buried my face in my pillow again.

“Hey Haylee.” A familiar voice called from my door way. I pulled my head out of my pillow and sat up.
“Hey Nate,” Anyone else would have been ignored completely but Jai’s fourteen-year-old, little brother could get anything out of me so I never even tried blocking him out, “You heard everything that went down with your brother and me just then ay?” Nate nodded as he sat down next to me on the bed.
“You were kinda harsh.” I sighed.
“I know. I was just angry and embarrassed; I didn’t mean to hurt him.” Nate looked up at me with his big, adorable, brown eyes that looked straight through mine and into my soul.
“Haylz you just have to believe in yourself, everyone else does.”
“Yeah but why? I’m nothing special.”
“Yeah you are. You’re special to Jai. And Matt and Joe and me and even Zane,” I laughed a bit at that, “And we all think you’re voice is fantastic. Could you please just try, for us?” I looked into his puppy dog eyes and realised the truth behind his words.
“What is it with you Taylor’s and knowing exactly how to make me cave?” Nate grinned, “I’m gonna haft to go down there and apologise aren’t I?”
“Yeah, you are.” I sighed again, “Don’t worry I’ll go with you.” He grabbed my hand and pulled me off the bed.
“You know I’m only doing this coz I love you right?”
“Sure you are.” He replied grinning his brother’s grin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics: That's What You Get - Paramore
So Beautiful - Pete Murry