Status: complete.

Breaking the Rules, NHL Style

part eighteen I'm So Sorry

I looked down at Tristan, her eyes were closed, and what was I waiting for? I was so scared, so many emotions running through my head. She’s all I ever wanted, all I ever dreamed of.

I don’t want to mess things up for her, if we get caught we both could get kicked out of the NHL. What if something happens and we get in a fight, making the team fall apart? What if she really doesn’t feel the way I feel about her? My heart stops every time I see her beautiful smile, what if that doesn’t happen to her?

Butterflies were attacking my stomach. A feeling I had never experienced before Tristan came into my life.

She stepped away, staring at me, confused, sad.

“Trist-”

“No,” she interrupted ripping from my grip.

“Tristan-” she turned around, running away, towards the exit.

“Tristan! Wait!” I yelled running after her. I ran to the entrance, and into the parking lot, but she wasn’t there.

“Tristan!” I called. No answer.

“Oh my god!” I yelled.

Why did I hesitate? What was I waiting for? I’ve screwed everything up! She’ll never talk to me again!

I kicked a clump of snow on the lightly covered ground.

“CRAP!” I was so mad, and I was the only one to blame.

Pulling out my phone, I dialed Tristan’s number.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“I never want to talk to you again!” she answered, starling me a little.

“Tr-”

“I can’t believe I even fell for that I don’t want to miss you tonight. And, I need is you! All of it was bullshit!”

“Tristan-”

“Evgeni! I can’t believe you!” she stopped and there was silence between us. I didn’t know what exactly to say.

Finally, she spoke again. “I’m falling for you... I thought you felt the same... I thought you’d catch me.”

“I’m trying to catch you! I just slipped on the way!” I screamed into the phone.

Why doesn’t she get it? Why doesn’t she understand that I’m in love with her?

“You don’t care. You can get any girl you want. Everywhere you go, screaming fan girls are everywhere. I’m just some girl. You could get the skinniest, and prettiest girl in the world. So why are you chasing me?” she said bluntly into the phone. And I could tell that she was crying, taking little sniffles and all. Her crying was tearing me apart.

“No Tristan. You’re not just some girl. You’re the prettiest girl I know. You’re amazing, and smart and talented...”

“Sure, I’m sure that you tell all the girls that. Evgeni, you’re just a player... On the ice... And off.”

I was taken aback by those words. The way she had spoken those words, with such disgust. I felt like all I had left to do was lock myself in a dark room and wither away, slowly and painfully.

“If that’s how you feel...” I said emotionless into the phone.

“I don’t want to talk to you again. J-just leave me alone.”

Beep, Beep.

And that’s how it ended. The conversation was over. And I could do nothing to change it back.

I walked over to my car, getting in.

“GOD! I’m so stupid!” I yelled, hitting the steering wheel as hard as I could.

Why? Why Evgeni, do you have to be so stupid? Why couldn’t you have just shut everything out, and get on with the kiss you’ve been killing yourself over?

[Pre-Game Warm Up]

“All right, I want you guys to take a light little jog around the arena. Twenty minutes. After that, do the stairs for about five. Then we’ll meet back in the locker room around three. You guys will have plenty of time," Michel said, as I got up from the bench. Tristan hadn’t talked to me, or even made eye-contact since last night. How many times can I say I’m so sorry?

“Hey Evgeni. Wanna run with me? I think that we need to talk.” Sidney asked, tugging on my shirt.

“Mhm,” I replied barley audible.

“Let’s go.” Sidney and I took off, and I saw that Tristan was running with Kris and Jordan.

“So, what happened last night?” Sidney asked as we passed the place were Tristan and I had sat last night. I shuttered.

“Sidney. I’m in trouble. Big time.” our hair was flopping up and down with every step we took.

“Dude, what?” Sidney asked, turning to me, a confused look on his face.

“I had planned to take her here last night. I thought it’d be fun to find out what being a Pens fan was like. So we got shirts, and painted our faces...” I was all of a sudden unable to move.

What I wrote on her face. Did she ever even bother to look?

“What did you write on her face?” Sidney asked, pulling me along. It took me a minute, but I finally started to speak again.

I couldn't help but think of all the bad things that could happen from telling Sidney these things. But then again, he was one of my closet friends, I knew he wouldn't say anything.

“I wrote I love you with all my heart.”

I looked away as we passed Tristan and my two friends.

“Woah. That’s deep. I didn’t know you felt so much for her.”

“Sidney! C'mon man! I’m in love with the girl!” I suddenly realized that I had yelled that. I looked at the ground, feeling my face grow hot. I hadn’t admitted that yet. Even to myself.

“Wait so what happened? Did she not feel the same way?” Sidney asked, and what surprised me is that he was all chill about it. Like she was just a normal girl. Not the first one in the NHL, not the one on our team, not the one that lived in the same house. Just a girl.

“No man, no. We were sitting when music came on, and I asked her if she wanted to dance with me. So we got up and danced. It was Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls. She really likes that song. She sings it in the shower all the time.”

Sidney raised an eyebrow.

“Shut up, you hear her too.”

“Geno, I’m just kidding, I know she does. Okay go ahead with you’re story.”

“She sung me a verse, and then I said another verse. I felt so weak in the knees. And then the moment came when we were about to kiss. I-I couldn’t do it.”

“What! What do you mean you couldn’t do it?!” Sidney asked, looking pretty mad.

“I don’t know. I just was thinking about everything that I could screw up by giving her that kiss. What if we got caught? That could mean both our jobs, both our dreams, gone. And what about the team? Sidney, I honestly wanted that kiss so bad. I’ve been waiting to hold her in my arms like I did. I just don’t know what to do. And you have to swear you won’t tell anyone.”

“Evgeni, I swear. But I want you and Tristan to sit out tonight.” I turned to my friend. What the hell was he talking about?

“What?” I asked in disbelief.

“I don’t want you and Tristan to play tonight. I want you two to go home and talk about it. You’re not getting on that ice unless everything is fine. We’re a team here, I don’t want any fighting of any kind.” Sidney was dead serious, I could tell by the look on his face.

“You can’t control that!” I yelled turning Sidney to look at me. “Evgeni, this is coaches orders. He already knew that you two were mad at each other. I want you to get your stuff and drive back home," Sidney said calmly dragging me down to the locker room, where Michel was holding my gear.

“I can’t believe this. I have to go home?” I asked, almost scared. “You already know the answer to that. Here’s your gear, now go. Tristan’s coming in a minute,” Michel said. I shook my head grabbing my gear and walking away.

[At Home]

I was sitting at the table, waiting for Tristan to come through that garage door. I heard a car door slam, and the garage open. The door opened and she walked in. She looked like she had been crying.

“Thanks a lot Evgeni. I don’t get to play in the game tonight because of you,” she muttered bitterly, walking past me.

“Wait," I grabbed her wrist. “Just hear me out.” I pleaded.

“No, I’ve heard enough.”

“No you don’t know why.”

“Let go Evgeni," she said her voice stern.

“No!” I cried, pushing her against the wall. She just stared at me, not knowing what to do.

I looked down at our feet. My hands were on her shoulders, holding her against the wall.

“Can’t you see? I’m falling for you Tristan. I am. I’ve never felt this way about any other girl. I get butterflies around you, my hands start to sweat, and I can’t stop smiling. The only reason I hesitated. Was that I was just thinking about everything I could mess up for you. But now I know, I need you. I can’t live without you.”

There was a silence.

“Evgeni,” she whispered.

I knew the time was now.

If she didn’t feel the same way, then she won’t. But I need to find out for myself.

“Tristan.”

That was all I needed to say, because in slow motion, she moved up, and my head, which felt like it had a mind of its own, moved slowly down.

We were now inches apart, all I needed to do is close the gap.

“Would it be all right if I kissed you?” I whispered, looking into her beautiful crystal blue eyes.

“I thought you’d never ask.”

I pushed my head down, letting our lips meet. At that moment, my whole body started to tingle, it just felt so right. Her lips felt so soft. I leaned in, deepening the kiss.

I pulled away, looking into her eyes.

“Evgeni. I’m so sorry,” she whispered, searching my eyes, as I did the same to her. Her eyes looked so full of... lust. And I suddenly felt the same way.

“I’m sorry too," I said softly, before leaning down and feeling my lips on hers. In another mind blowing kiss.

“Tristan.”

I held her in my arms, and she started crying into my shoulder.

“I’m sorry,” I said again, stroking her hair.

“I’m sorry too," she looked up, and I pushed tears from her face. I closed my eyes, leaning down and feeling my lips brush against hers. She tugged on my shirt, pulling me in closer so I could kiss her more deeply.

I slid my tongue across her bottom lip. And she let me in without hesitation. I suddenly felt like I was flying. I had never felt like this with any other girl. I pushed my body up against hers, and she tangled her fingers in my hair.

I broke the kiss to look at her. She smiled and I smiled back.

“Wow,” I said, and we started laughing.

“Let's go," she whispered, pulling me up the stairs, and into her room.

Locking the door.

I love you Tristan Davis. I really do.