Status: complete.

Breaking the Rules, NHL Style

part seventeen A secret Date - Err - Dinner!

“Trick or Treat!”

The door was open and I was holding a bucket of candy, looking down at two kids with hockey gear and Penguins jersey’s on, matching the one I was wearing.

“Ooh! You’re so cute,” I said, smiling at the kids standing next to their mom.

“Here’s some candy!” I handed them each two handfuls. Jordan and Kris had gone a little over board when buying the candy...

“Aren’t you Tristan Davis?” the older one of the two kids asked.

“Yep, that’s me."

“Could you sign my jersey?” he asked.

“Sure! I have a couple friends that would like to sign your jersey too, hold on.”

I ran inside.

“Guys- kids- common,” I yelled, running into the living room and grabbing a permanent marker from the pile, the others doing the same. They were whining about signing the kids jersey’s.

“Shut it!”

“Sorry. I’m back. So what’s your names?” I asked the kids.

“I’m Garret, and this is Jackson,” the older one pointed to his little brother.

“Hi. Turn around and I’ll sign it.”

“Who wants there jersey signed?” Kris, now at the door, asked the kids.

“Me!” the two yelled.

Garret turned around and to my surprise, the name on the back of his jersey was Davis, 14.

“Wow, this is a first.”

I hadn’t seen any one wear my jersey before. So I signed, ‘Garret, thanks for being the first Pens fan to wear my jersey. Thanks for the support! XOXOXO, you’re friend, Tristan Davis.’

“There we go.”

“Thanks Tristan! Can I call you Fuzz-Ball?”

“Sure!”

“Sweet! Hiya Fuzz-Ball! So is it true that Max Talbot made up that nickname?”

“That is sadly true.”

Max laughed at me, striking a pose.

“I am the almighty creator of Ms. Tristan Davis’ nickname!” Max greeted shaking Garrets hand. “And you shall be- ahh- Shaggy-Hair-Random-Kid!” he exclaimed, striking another pose and grinning.

"Oh my god.” I shook my head.

“That’s so cool!” Garret yelled.

After we (Kris, Jordy, Ev, Sid, Max, Bugsy, Marc and I) had signed the kids jersey’s, we took pictures with them, and then they were on there way. By now it was around ten, so most of the kids were gone. I landed on the couch, laying across, Max, Evgeni, and Sidney. My head was on Evgeni’s lap and he was playing with my hair.

“TJ, don’t you love kids?” I asked sighing dreamily.

“I know, they're so cute!” she squealed, squirming in Jordan’s lap.

“Fuzz?” I looked up and Bugsy had the phone in his hand. “Someone’s on the phone for you.”

“Oh yeah?” I jumped up and was handed the phone.

“Guys, I’m gonna go cook some Mac N’ Cheese. K?” I yelled, walking into the kitchen.

“Okay!” was the response.

“Hello?”

“Tristan?” I didn’t recognize the voice, maybe it was the music blaring in the speaker.

“Yeah this is her, who is this?”

“You don’t know who this is?” the voice yelled in my ear.

“I can barley hear you.”

I heard running and then the music was gone.

“Can you hear me know?” It was Robert.

“Robert. Hey! I can now.” I put some water in a pot and put it on the stove.

“Yeah, it’s me. Happy Halloween. How are you?”

“Happy Halloween to you too! I’m doing good, busy with hockey, the usual. So what’s up.”

“I just got a phone call from Bryce.” the smile on my face dropped.

“Bryce as in-”

“Your brother.”

“What’d he want?” I sat down at the table.

“He said that he’d really like to talk to you. He’s got a lot of things to say. Said you just got up and left after he invited you to diner.”

“Yeah that’s right I did. Robert he abandoned me, left me alone. I couldn’t just sit there and get all nicey nicey with him.”

“Yeah.”

“So is that what you wanted to say?”

“Connor. I talked to Connor too.”

“Yeah?”

“I think you should give him another chance.” I gasped.

“Is this Robert? Cause I don’t think that my friend, Robert would say that.”

“Tristan! He’s my cousin, and I can tell how much he’s hurting without you.”

“He seemed just fine.”

“Tristan, please just go talk with them. They live in Pittsburgh now, you know?”

“I figured. But, I don’t want to talk to them. Especially if they’re with Kat.”

“Connor and Bryce said that they wouldn’t bring her. And they said there going to your game tomorrow night. They bought tickets for the rest of the season, right next to the glass across the bench.”

“Great. I getta see they’re ugly faces all game. Joy.” Okay so Connor wasn’t that ugly, and Bryce was just, Bryce. But still.

“Tristan.”

“What?” I sneered, a little pissed at what my friend had just said.

“I’m proud of you.”

I stopped for a second, taking in those words.

“Thanks. I miss you Robert.”

“I miss you too girl.”

I decided to change the subject. “How’s everyone?”

“Good, they’re good. Kallie told me to tell you hi.”

“Yeah, I haven’t talked to her much, how’s she doing.”

“She off the Fleury thing.”

“Oh yeah?” Marc would be happy to know that.

“Yeah, she’s got a new boyfriend, Zack. He’s a pretty cool guy. And she’s also hanging around this girl. Trish, thats her name. She’s alrite, but it’s not like she could replace you.” I felt my heart drop. Kallie’s got a new friend?

“Yeah. That’s cool. How’s Ryan? And my dad?”

“Ryan was pretty shaken up when we got back from Pittsburgh?”

“Huh, why?” I asked.

“I don’t know, he just really likes you and he saw you and all those guys, he just figures he’s not in the same league as them.”

“Ooh! Ryan likes me? Ahh, he’s such a good guy! Tell him I love him like a brother.”

“What about me?” the two of us laughed.

“You’re dad’s doing good, Kallie, Ryan and I stop by sometimes, but most of the times hes at work. Have you talked to him lately?”

“I did two weeks ago, I should call him.”

“Call who?” someone whispered into my ear.

“AHH!” I cried into the phone and jumped out of my seat. “Oh my god! Evgeni! Don’t scare me like that!” I complained.

“Who ya talking too?” Evgeni asked, leaning in and kissing the top of my forehead, making me, of course, blush madly.

“None of your business, wait here, I’ll be off soon.” I broke from Evgeni’s grip, (not like I wanted to) back to the stove.

“Hey, Robert, I gotta go, but I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Okay. So you’ll call me tomorrow?”

“Yeah, I’ve gotta game at seven, I’ll call you like around noon.”

“Okay, sounds good. Good luck! We’ll be watching.”

“Thanks Roberts, talk to you then.”

I hung up the phone and put it on the charger. Evgeni was still standing in the kitchen, staring at me. I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Yes?” I asked, laughing a little.

“Nothing, just staring at how beautiful you are,” he said, walking over to me as I pored the noodles in the water.

“Oh, is that so?” I asked, turning to him and wrapping my arms around his waist as he did the same to me. I looked up into those big brown eyes and smiled.

“What do you say, we get out of here?” Evgeni asked.

“It’s like ten, on Halloween night. Where do you want to go?”

He put his finger to his lips and pulled me to the garage. We put our shoes on, and walked out to his car.

“Where are we going Ev?” I asked after fifteen minutes of silence.

“You’ll see.”

I smiled and reached for his hand.

“Can I hold your hand?” I asked, smiling at him.

“I’d love that.” I wrapped my fingers with his.

This is how I want to live the rest of my life. Like this. Evgeni and Me.

Minutes later we arrived at the Mellon. I was about to open my door, when Evgeni ran around and opened it for me, wearing a goofy grin.

“Why thank you Mr. Malkin,” I said, as he helped me out of the car.

“C'mon!” he pulled me up to the entrance.

“Evgeni, what are we doing?” I was pulled inside the arena, and then I noticed the lights were already on.

Hmm, that’s weird. There wasn’t any practice today. And why did we come through the front door? We never do.

“Let’s get something to eat,” Evgeni said smirking and leading me down a hallway, where all the food places were open. I was pulled into Evgeni’s strong arms. I liked where this was going.

“You planed this didn’t you?” I asked, stopping, making Evgeni stop as well.

“Maybe. It’d be cool to find out what it’s like to be a Pens fan, don’t ya think. Come on, let’s get some shirt’s, then we can get food.”

I smiled at him, shaking my head. He always has the best ideas.

“Evgeni.”

“Yeah?” he looked down at me.

“Thanks.” I got on my tip toes, kissing him on the cheek.

“I-I, it wasn’t a big deal," he said shrugging and trying to act all cool. But I could tell that this was a big deal. Also I could see his face getting slightly redder, which made me laugh.

We walked to the Penguins sports shop, or whatever you call it.

“Hello, you two young people, would you like to buy some Penguins gear?” the old man asked across the counter.

“Yeah!” I cheered, looking at all the wonderful things. “Can I get a Malkin shirt please?” I asked, smirking at Evgeni.

“What size?” “Medium!”

“Here you go, anything else?”

“That pack of the beads, ahh, and face paint please!” I said happily, as the man handed over my things.

“Hey, Ev, can I paint your face?” I asked, taking out my wallet to pay the man.

“Sure.” he smiled asking for a Davis shirt, and a Penguins bandana. Which he stuck in his back pocket.

“Here you go,” I said handing the man the money for all our things.

“Oh no young lady, it’s already been paid for. have a nice date- I mean dinner!” he smiled sheepishly and waved goodbye.

“Evgeni, let’s sit down so I can paint your face.” Evgeni sat on the bench like I had asked. We already had our Penguin shirts on. I had tied the side of it with a pony tail holder since it was too big, (it was a men's medium after all.) I put my black, gold and white Mardi Gras beads on.

“You look good in that shirt,” Evgeni observed, pulling me, so I was standing in-between his legs, acting like this was normal for us. I then took out the brush.

“Oh yeah? Why cause it has your last name on it?”

“Hey, it sounds good, listen, Tristan Elizabeth Malkin.” I snorted back a laugh.

“Hah, listen to this. Evgeni Vladimirovich Davis.” I burst out laughing, and so did he.

“Hey, I like it!” he complained, hugging me around the waist, putting his head on my stomach. I smiled playing with his hair. After a minute he sat up asking, “so you gonna paint my face or what?”

“Are you ready for this?” I asked, laughing.

“Bring it!”

“Hmm,” I said, thinking and looking down at my paint and then back at Evgeni.

“I’ve got it!” I started with writing Davis is smoking! On his forehead and then writing #71 on his left cheek, and then I (heart) # 14 on his right cheek. I stepped back looking at my master piece.

“I love it!” I cried.

“Okay, it’s my turn!” Evgeni said getting up and sitting me down on the bench. After sitting patiently and lots of laughing, he finally finished.

“Can I go see?” I asked Evgeni throwing the used up paint away.

“Not yet.” he grabbed my hand and we continued down the hall.

“So food?” he asked, looking down at me.

“Sure!” five minutes later we each got a hot-dog and a cokes and went to sit down in the middle area of the seats.

“Yummy yummy. Thanks so much Evgeni,” I said, giving him a sideways hug after we had finished our hot-dogs.

“No problem, just glad you could come," he looked out to the empty ice.

Music started playing loudly throughout the arena.

“Wanna dance?” Evgeni asked, suddenly standing up.

“Yeah, I’d like that.”

We walked up the stairs until we were at a space large enough to dance. I didn’t notice at first, but I saw that the lights were now dimming. I smiled.

Did he really plan all this? By himself?

There was a moment of silence when I realized that there was a different song playing. I listened for a second until I could figure out who it was.

It was

Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls.

“I love this song! Don’t you?” I asked smiling.

“Yes.”

He took his hands, putting them on my waist and pulling me in, as I put my hands around his neck. We started swaying to the music, not really knowing what to do. But I didn’t care, I liked this.

My heart was beating as fast as it would possibly let it. I suddenly felt an urge to sing along.

“You’re the closet to heaven that I’ll ever be.”

I sung looking up into Evgeni eyes, he looked right into mine.

“And I don’t want to go home right now,” he said, whispering into my ear. Guess we were taking turns with each verse.

“And all I can taste is this moment.”

“And all I can breathe is your life.”

Evgeni twirled me.

“Cause sooner or later it’s over.”

I was pulled in close to Evgeni, his mouth by my ear.

“I just don’t want to miss you tonight.”

I stepped away.

“I don’t want to miss you either.” I said looking him straight in the eyes.

“You don’t have to,” he said softly pulling me in with one arm. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

“Cause I don’t think they’d understand.”

I knew this was the moment, the moment I had waited so long for.

“I don’t care if they understand, cause all I need is you.”

I looked, once again, into his beautiful eyes, I could see something in them; not hunger or aggression, but something else, something like love?

He leaned down his head on mine. I closed my eyes, getting on my tipy-toes, reaching up...[/

And I don't want the world to see me
Cause I don't think that they'd understand
When every thing's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am