Passing through the cracks of life

Little Pain

So now we’re walking down the coast. I can feel the sand between my toes and the water caressing my ankles.
“So do you have any hobbies?” I ask and glance at him. It’s like he’s in his little world. Still he responds:
“Yeah…as you can see surfing and hmmm… riding.” I can see him riding a horse but backwards. It makes me laugh uncontrollably.
“What?” He asks dumbstruck.
“Nothing I just visualized you riding.” I’m giggling but slowly the sounds become a whisper. A whisper which the gentle breeze blows away.
We walk beside each other in silence. After a while I tell him:
“Hey I think we should turn back. I can’t see my stuff and I wouldn’t be happy if my stuff disappeared.
“Okay.” We turn around and I can still see our footprints in the sand. Slowly the waves wash them away.
After couple of minutes I start to see the umbrella. I run there and I check everything. He has this moody expression on his face and he sits beside me. Again silence.
“So what are your plans for the summer?” I ask to make him speak a little.
“I’ll probably go riding and meet some relatives, celebrate July 4th and chill out. You?”
Hmmm I actually never thought what I’ll do…September seems so far.
“If it’s not a problem could I just tag around with you? I only know you from here.” I give him the puppy look and he snickers.
“Of course tard!” And to my surprise he ruffles my hair. His fingers are so…smooth and nice. I close my eyes and I enjoy him playing with my hair.
Whoa what am I doing? I jump up from the blanket and I start to pack.
“Are you going somewhere?” He asks with a slight hint of hurt in his voice.
“S- Sorry it’s time for me to go!” I pull out the umbrella from the sand and I start walking back to the houses.
In the last minute I can feel his hand on my arm and with a sudden jerk he pulled me to his body. We were standing there at the edge of the beach and the concrete (alias the “modern world”) looking in each other’s eyes. He closed the distance between us. He closed his eyes and pressed his lips to mine. I parted my lips and kissed him back. He put his hands to my neck and started caressing it with his slim fingers. I could feel his tongue exploring. Abruptly he jerked his head back and whispered in my ear:
“Je t’aime mon ami!”
With that he ran down the street. I was left there with my stuff on the ground. Slowly I touched my mouth where he kissed me moments ago. I sighed, picked up the umbrella and my bag and walked home. For the first time in my life… I started to fall in love with a boy.