The Past Belongs In The Past

Chapter Thirteen- Lady and the Tramp

“Are you sure this guy is worthy?” Frank asked when he came over to baby-sit Maddie. Mikey was out with the latest girlfriend and Frank had no idea where Gerard was so he was going to watch Maddie. “Maybe I should just check him out first.”

“Frank Anthony Iero, you know I love you but I swear if you come anywhere near this guy they will never find your body. Understand?” I threatened.

“You’re scary when you’re nervous.” He said grinned.

“Frankie!!” Madison shrieked running into the bathroom where I was putting on my make-up and Frank was scrutinising my date “Come meet Sham!” she ordered.

“Maddie.” I said putting on my sternest voice “You are to do as Frank says okay? Bed time in twenty minutes.”

“Yes mummy.” She replied with an innocent smile and she hurried away.

“Beware.” I warned Frank “She will manipulate you when you don’t realise it. She’s cute and she knows it.”

“Yea yea yea. She’s three--”

“and a quarter” I added.

“--What’s the worst she can do?”

“The Famous Last Words of Frank Iero,” I muttered.

Then I heard the car pull up outside.

“That’s him. Frank stay inside.” I quickly grabbed my purse, rearranged the short, black, body-hugging dress I was wearing and rushed for the door. I knew Adam would want to come to the door to pick me up but I fully expected Frank would follow through on his threats to sabotage my date.

“Come give mummy a kiss good night.” I called to Madison.

She came running into the room at full speed and attached herself to my leg momentarily before running away again to where she had left Frank.

“Oh heartbreaker!”

I hurried out the door, down the steps and to the car. As I had expected Adam was already getting out of the car to come meet me.

“Chivalry is dead.” I told him in explanation.

He insisted on opening my door for me though, which I let him.

“You said you like Italian?” he confirmed, “I have this little place I like to go to. Purely Lady and the Tramp feel.”

“--Sans the alleyway garbage I hope.”

“Served by the owner who only speaks a little English but makes the best pizzas ever.”

“Charming the ladies with the European atmosphere.” I beamed.

“Am I that transparent?”

****

I had a really good time. The restaurant was adorable, Adam was so sweet and it is really something to be hit on by your gorgeous Italian waiter while your date is sitting across from you.

“I had a great time.” I told him when we pulled up outside my place.

“Yea, so did I.” He said turning off the engine and turning to look at me. “I’d like to do it again sometime soon. Minus the sleazy waiter maybe…” he grinned.

“Hey he was just interested in making sure I was happy with my meal.” I said, suppressing a smile.

“He was married.”

“No he wasn’t!”

“He was wearing a ring.” Adam said matter-of-factly.

“Whoa, he was sleazy…”

“His wife was the one making-out in the corner booth with other waiter.”

“Loyalty is limited in that union…” I laughed, “That place was brilliant.”

“I’m glad you liked it.” He grinned and got out of the car to open my door. “Now am I allowed to walk you to the door this time?”

I got out of the car and looked up at the house. The front room light was on which meant Frank was probably peering through the blinds to get a look at the man next to me.

“I’d rather you didn’t…”

“Alright then. Good night.”

“Good night.”

I leant over and kissed him. Now usually I have a no kissing on the first date policy -a rule set up post Madison, I have to be sure about the guys before I’d get attached to him- but I really liked Adam.

“Frank?” I called a minute later when I got inside.

“Hey mummy!” Madison came running into the hall from the lounge.

“What are you doing still up for!? Where’s Frank?” I asked, swinging her up into my arms.

“He’s having a nap.” She said with a mischievous smile.

I went into the lounge to find Frank asleep on the sofa with red lipstick all over his face.

“I made him pretty.” Madison announced proudly.

“You sure did.” I nudged Frank with the tip of my point-toe heels. “Oy! Wake up Sleeping Beauty.”

He opened his eyes groggily and stared up at Madison and me. “You’re back.”

Madison giggled, “You snore!”

“I was only asleep for a second.” Frank insisted, sitting up. He caught sight of his reflection in the stereo cabinet. “Oh shit!” he cried when he saw his ‘new and improved’ look.

“There’s make-up remover in the blue bottle by the sink” I told him.

I put Madison to bed as he scrubbed at the rouge colouring.

“So, how was your date?” Frank said when he had finally cleaned it all off and came back into the lounge.

“Fine.”

“Did he try anything? ‘Cause you know I have connections,” he said trying to sound serious.
“I don’t need you to whack him, Frank.” I sighed. I’m well loved. “Plus the fact that your tattoo guy used to be in a activist biker gang doesn’t count as a connection.”

He made a face at me.

“What does he do?”

“He’s…” I thought about it, I didn’t actually know. He had said he was out of town a lot but I never actually asked why. “I don’t know” I admitted.

“and that’s the guy you’re hanging around with. You don’t even know him. What’s his name again?”

I ignored him “How are you getting back?” I asked.

“I think Mikey is picking me up after his date.” He said, “We only have one car to use.”

Just then there was a honk from outside, footsteps up the steps and a knock on the door.

“Hey” Gerard was standing on the welcome mat. He gave my outfit a funny sour look. “You look…dressed up, where have you been?”

“Out.” Was all I said in reply “What about you?” he had actually ironed a shirt which is almost unheard of. I bet he made Mikey iron it…

“Same, out.” He said quietly “Frank, get your ass out here.”

“I think Madison has stolen my other shoe.” He called from the lounge. “Found it!”

“Where was it?”

“In the lamp shade with play dough in it.” He replied casually, pulling it on.

“So don’t want to know why.”

-------------

*Comments Please :D*