The Past Belongs In The Past

Chapter Fourteen- Missing In Action

“Mummy! Ray’s letting me win!” Madison complained, pulling at the edge of my sundress.

“I was not!” Ray insisted. They were sitting under an awning outside the bus, playing tic-tac-toe.

“You were too!” Madison said resolutely.

“Was not!” Ray huffily.

“Shush both of you. If you can’t play nicely don’t play at all.” I told them firmly. “Ray, don’t let her win, she’ll kick your ass anyway.”

Madison poked out her tongue at Ray who returned it.

“You do realise you are fighting like a three-year-old with a girl who is twenty-one years your junior?” Bob smirked over the top of the magazine he was reading.

“Shut up you’re just mad ‘cause she laughed at you when you tripped over Frank’s guitar.” Ray retaliated.

“Oy! Break it up you two!” I said not even looking up from the novel I was reading.

“Maddie did you hide Spiderman?” Mikey stumbled down the bus steps.

“Nooo.” Madison said not so innocently with a guilty grin.

“Hand him over.” Mikey ordered holding out his hand.

Madison giggled. “It wasn’t me!”

“Yes it was!”

“No! Daddy put him in the microwave!” she blurted. “Oops! I wasn’t meant to tell you!”

“Spawn of evil!” Mikey cried dramatically.

“Thank you.” I said modestly. “Hey where is Gerard? I haven’t seen him.”

“MIA.” Bob muttered. Missing In Action.

“He’ll be back soon I think.” Ray said without looking up from the tic-tac-toe board he was concentrating on.

A few minutes later the apparent devil himself came striding towards the bus with a leggy blonde attached to his arm. From her extremely short skirt and low V-neck top I’d say she wasn’t exactly looking for a band interview.

“Oh. You guys are still here.” Gerard said awkwardly when he caught sight of me in a sun chair and Madison sitting cross-legged on the ground.

Madison ran up to him when she saw him. “I didn’t tell, I didn’t! Mikey found him by himself, I didn’t tell!” she cried.

“Was he mad?” Gerard asked.

Madison nodded enthusiastically and Gerard gave her a high-five.

“Oh My Gawd! Isn’t she adorable!” squealed the blonde bending over, which I didn’t think was possible in that skirt. “What’s your name?”

Madison looked her up and down, gave Gerard a disapproving look and then after a moment replied “Maddie. But you call me Madison. What’s your name?”

Don’t mess with my three-and-a-quarter-year-old.

The blonde looked taken a back for a moment and then she put on a huge cheesy smile and said “I’m Mia.”

Mia ey? I gave Bob a dagger look and he shrugged slightly and sunk lower behind his magazine.

“Are you Ray’s daughter?” Mia asked Madison.

“No I’m--” she began but Mikey cut her off.

“Did Gerard ever tell you we had a sister?” he asked conversationally.

“No he didn’t. We don’t talk a lot.” She giggled and clung to Gerard’s arm. I gave Gerard a look to match Madison’s from underneath by large brimmed Audrey Hepburn sunhat. He looked sheepish.

“Oh. Well this is my niece.” Mikey said waving his arm in my direction.

“She is just so cute!” Mia cooed she said to me.

“Yes we think so too.” I said coldly.

“Mia, weren’t you just leaving?” Gerard prompted.

“Oh yea, I have to go to work. I hate having to work, I won’t have to if I stick with you though will I.” She said in a cutesy tone, tapping Gerard on the end of his nose.

Everyone in her presence cringed, including Gerard. Madison folded her arms and pursed her lips at her. I’ve taught her well.

Gerard untangled himself from Mia’s arms and Mia strutted away.

“I ain’t saying she’s a gold digger…” I mumbled a few bars of ‘Gold Digger’ under my breath but just audibly enough that Gerard could hear me.

“I hate lying to people about this.” Gerard said flopping down into a spare deck chair, Madison went and sat on his lap. “I want to tell people that this is mine!” he said tickling her.

“Technically I didn’t lie to her.” Mikey said “I asked her if you’d told her you had a sister and then I just happened to say that Maddie was my niece after that. It’s not my fault she presumed Annie was our sister. She’s not very bright…”

--------------

One of my personal favourite chapters :D
Comments please. *Mwah!*