The Beast and The Brain.

Chapter 78

Grace stood up and put a small red shawl over her shoulders. It accented her curly hair and scar even more. “Come on, it’s dinner time.”

“What?” I asked shocked, she couldn’t be serious.

“Its dinner time and I can’t keep sneaking food for you. They hand out one tray per meal which means I would have to skip meals to feed you, and that is not happening. Besides, no one will suspect you if you hide in the open. You’re wearing the same clothes, no one knows what you look like, and it’s not like they are expecting you to be walking around camp. As far as they know you’re being chased after by Aaron, the last place you’ll be looked for is here and hence, it’s the best hiding place.”

“Ok, so what about the phoenix guy? What if he comes back and see’s me strolling around here like I own the place?”

Grace shook her head before I even finished, “Not going to happen. He won’t return without you unless he wants to get himself killed. And obviously since you’re here, he won’t be showing up anytime soon. Now don’t be a baby, stand up straight, look people I the eye and follow me.” She slid the door open and I jumped to my feet, half expecting men to come rushing in just because I was suddenly exposed. Grace blew out the candle and shut the door behind her and led the way. I tried not to look like a criminal as we walked across the grounds. Every time someone acknowledged our presence my heart jumped to my throat and I nearly released my power. But everyone seemed to like Grace and they didn’t even look twice at me. We sat down at one of the tables next to a cooking fire and waited until the food was ready to be served.

My eyes scanned the crowd of people, waiting to see a familiar face. And I did, but not ones I was ever expecting. My heat jumped to my throat again and stayed there. He opened his mouth in surprise but his father saw me too and whispered into his ear quickly and he shut his mouth and looked down at the table. His father stood up and walked over and I couldn’t take my eyes off him. “Evening Grace.” He leaned on the table, “Gavril has been getting those headaches again, and I was wondering if you could mix up some more herbs for him. I could pick them up later this evening.” Grace smiled pleasantly.

“Good evening Jake, of course I’d be more than happy to put a batch together for you.” She looked at me a little worried, but I just gave her a small reassuring smile and Jake walked away and sat back down with Gavril and whispered to him again.

“I’m so sorry Asher. If I had refused it would seem suspicious. Jake is friendly enough and his is harmless but-”

“-its fine Grace, I know those two, they are my friends. I’m glad I’ll get a chance to speak with them.” Grace looked over to their table then back at me and sighed.

“I nearly had a heart attack.” She admitted, “Everyone knows that I live alone, and only extremely sick people spend the night at my house. If they had shown up and saw you…word would have gotten out and that would have been a disaster.”

I smiled at her, “Well, you have nothing to worry about, they are my friends.”

“Still.” She said, “We should find you a safer place to stay.”

“Like my tree? I can go back up there at night and stay there during the day.” Grace shook her head.

“No, that won’t work. You could get bitten by a snake again, and to be honest no one may recognize you but they would notice your absence now that you’ve been seen around here. I’m sorry to say that you are stuck here until you figure out a way to rescue J or kill David. Grace didn’t meet my eyes and I realized she felt guilty for bringing me out here in the open and sealing my fate.

“Hey, listen, its fine. Like you said, no one will notice me. And anyway I’ll be able to see how this place works on the inside. Honestly, its better that I’m here, I’d only learn so much from being in a tree and I’d probably starve anyway.”
“That’s true.” She nodded her head.

We ate dinner in relative silence, since more people sat around us and we didn’t want to be overheard. So we ate our food and dropped our dishes off in one of the tubs of water by the fire. We started walking back to Graces home when one of the men with a tattooed collarbone stepped in front of me. “Where do you think you’re going?” My immediate thought was to go for his dagger and silence him and pray no one sees. But Grace is faster.

“He’s with me Tracy.” She looks shaken but she hides her fear, “Suffering from headaches, so I’m going to give him some herbs.” Tracy’s eyes narrowed and his hand went to his dagger. It took every ounce of will not to attack or turn out of panic. Play it cool Asher.

“Headaches huh?” He asked me, “So ya think you’re too good for training? You think when the time comes you know enough about swords and fighting to keep yourself alive?” He pulled the dagger out and swung it under my neck. I balled my hands into fists to keep myself from doing something stupid.

“I always have my power sir…” I tried to sound cocky and slightly shaken.

“Ha! You young kids are all the same. To confident in your own abilities, now get to the training pit and get a cure for your headaches afterwards. That ought to teach you a lesson.” I ducked my head when he pulled his dagger away, “Yes sir.” I mumbled.

“Come see me later for your herbs.” Grace said and walked away. I nodded and headed to where I saw the others practicing before. The man looks satisfied when I go and walks away also. It didn’t really resemble a pit to me, but I didn’t ask. I grabbed a wooden practice sword like all the others were doing and got in line. We all stood there a moment, “Pair off!” One of the other tattooed members came up to us and waved his hand briskly. An older man standing next to me held out his hand and I shook it. He didn’t say a word so I didn’t either.

The wooden sword was surprisingly balanced I didn’t feel like I had to adjust my style or anything. The instructor yelled for us to begin and my sparring partner came at me with a sloppy upper swing. I flicked the sword against his wrist and stepped to the side so his swing missed. The man dropped his sword and held his wrist with a curse. The man yelled for us to stop and he came over. “What the hell was that?” he demanded, “There is no use of power during these sessions.” He got straight into my face. I realized that I should have pretending that I didn’t know anything.

“Sorry sir, but I didn’t use any powers.” He pushed my sparring partner back with a rough shove and grabbed the wooden sword off the ground.

“I’ll teach you to have a smart mouth with me. Now come at me.” All of the other students backed away quickly.

“I don’t want to fight you.” That was the honest truth.

“You should have thought of that before you used your power.” He came at me while he was still talking. I was waiting for it though, it was an old trick that I had been trained to predict. He swiped his sword low, aiming for my ankles. I jumped back, keeping my sword up. He came at me with another swing, one that was meant to slice an opponent from the stomach to the neck. I defended myself with a short block and with my open hand stepped forward and punched him in the chest and brought my foot behind one of his own. He fell on his butt but managed to keep a hold of his sword.

My heart was pounding in my chest and I realized that I shouldn’t have done that. I was supposed to be blending in. Not bringing attention to myself. I held out my hand and offered to help him to his feet. Surprisingly he took my hand and got to his feet, and more shocking, he grinned like a mad man. “Well I’ll be damned.” He said, “We’ve actually got a fighter on our hands. What’s your name son?”

“Ash-” My throat stuck and my mind spit out the first name it came with, “ley, my name is Ashley.” I finished lamely. Oh how hard J would be laughing if she had been here to hear that. The instructor laughed.

“Ashley! What a name son, your mother probably though you were going to be a girl didn’t she?” he laughed and a few of the others around us did the same. I used it, I forced myself to look embarrassed and chuckled.

“Yes sir, it’s how I know how to fight…I had to make sure people knew that my name was the only girly thing about me.” They all laughed again at that remark and the instructor slapped my back.

“Well son, I’m going to have to keep my eyes on you, you have the making to be a great individual."

I just smiled at him, it wasn’t the first time I had heard that.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I returned to Grace’s home under the same act that I was suffering from headaches. I took off my boots at the bottom of the steps and stepped into her house. I was instantly attacked my Gavril who bear hugged me tightly and lifted me off the floor. I felt my ribs pressing closer together and I gasped for air. “Asher!” He said loudly, and both Jake and Grace shushed him with sharp noises and glares. He let me down and looked at his feet in shame, “Sorry Asher.” He whispered, “I’m just really happy to see you.”

I reached up and patted his big shoulder, “It’s good to see you to friend.” I went over to Jake and shook his hand

“Asher it’s good to see you son.” He gave me a hug as well but far gentler than Gavril had. We sat down around the floor and began talking immediately while Grace handed out tea. They told me how they had moved successfully to a new town and remained there safely for some time. They got caught quite on accident when one of the hunters came to get a sword repaired and discovered that they were wanted. “They let me live and come with my son because Gavril wouldn’t cooperate otherwise.” Jake told me solemnly. “I’m lucky to be alive.” I looked at Grace and though of Charles, he hadn’t been so lucky. “So tell me Asher, how did you come to be here? And how do you know Grace?” I let out a sigh and poured myself some more tea and wished we had something a tad stronger.

“That’s…a long story.”

“Well we have some time and I would like to hear it.”

“So would I.” Grace admitted and Gavril nodded his agreement as well. I smiled at my friends, “Well, make some more tea then Grace.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, I'm not going to lie.

I'm really tired of this story. But I'm determined to finish it. And we're getting close to end, so I'm really trying just to get it over with because I would like to not look at this story for a few years until I'm readying to completely re-write it.

Living in Philly now with my sister. Working, school, part time nanny for my niece and nephew...so updates are slow for all these things that I've said so far.

But what's new with you people? How's live? School? Cute boys?

COMMENT!

_CORRI_