Strawberry Silhouette

-Chapter 2: Bottom Dollar-

-Chapter 2: Bottom Dollar-

I hesitated on the steps. I was in the middle of the country…who would be at the door?

I finished the rest of the stairs slowly. The person at the door knocked again. I held my breath as his thoughts surged into my head like heat waves. I stood completely still. I could see everything that crossed his mind: Why isn’t this owner answering the door? Is the owner in town? I bet they wont even care to listen to what I’m selling…

His thoughts trailed out and then I had my vision back. I blinked a few times and walked to the door to answer it. The guy on the other side was beautiful. His eyes were deep blue and his hair was jet black. He was a little taller than me, but he looked around the same age.

I smiled and he gave a cute crooked one back. My heart melted.

“Hi, ma’am. My name is Jake Booth.” He extended his arm and I took his hand to shake it. But, he bent down first and kissed the back of my hand. I could feel my cheeks turn hot. I knew they must have been bright red.

He straightened his poster and gave another crooked smile. I felt light headed.

“May I ask what your name is, Ms.?”

“Its Cine Cast.”

“Ah, what a pretty name…and a pretty girl. May I ask, are you out here all alone?”

“Yep, just me.”

“Hmm…interesting.” He looked me up and down. I became wary as to why. He shrugged and sighed. “Well then, I won’t keep you. I’m not going to make a single young lady buy any of this stuff I’m forced to sale. Its not even that great.” He winked and my cheeks heated up again.

“Though, I was wondering…could I possibly have your number?” His face turned red this time. I was speechless. We just meet. All I knew was his name and job. All he knew was my name and where I lived.

I felt relented, nonetheless, to give it to him. I took the pen out of his shirt pocket and wrote it on the palm of his hand. Then I put the pen back. He glanced at his hand, mouthed the numbers, then looked up at me.

“Well, I should get going. I have to be back in town by noon.” He smiled and picked up his bag. “Bye Ms. Cast. I’ll call you sometime.”

I nodded and gave a little wave good-bye as he walked away.