Status: On hiatus. Read profile for why it is.

Last Kiss Goodbye

My Little Boy

“I can’t lose my son.” I stared blankly at the ground. My stomach churned at the thought of my son being killed by some sick fuck that had nothing better to do but hurt a little boy.

“Alex can’t be dead.” Sydney cried, still clinging onto Aly’s shirt.

“They found his hat on South Street, which is only a few minutes away.” Mateja said, trying to comfort Sydney.

“I’m going out to look, alone.” I walked into the back of the bus where I opened my suitcase. I grabbed the knife I brought on tour with me just in case someone tried to break into our bus at night; I’ve always been paranoid about that happening. I walked past the girls and out to the car. I drove with one hand on the wheel one hand on the knife, not letting go if I so happened to run into the bastard that came after my son. I drove down to South Street, and found the police still crowded around the scene. I slipped the knife in my pocket and hopped out of the car.

“Sir, please back away. This is a crime scene,” The officer said rather rudely.

“That’s my son’s hat you’re examining. I have every damn right to come in here!” I yelled back as he pushed me back.

“I need some identification that you’re related to Alex Haner.” I was surprised that Sydney had his last name be Haner instead of Smith. The officer was being a stubborn asshole, so I reached into my other pocket with my wallet and pulled out my license. He nodded as a response and let me stay. I dragged my feet across the pavement down the area where they had found the hat. As I got there the blood wasn’t much, but enough to know he’d been hurt. I stood motionless, thinking of every possible horrid thing that could happen to my son. I snapped out of it as I felt a hand slap me across my back. I turned around to see the chubby, moody, and short police officer behind me.

“We have location of your son’s body.” The officer told me. Hearing those words couldn’t have made me happier at all, but his condition still mattered.

“Is he—alive?” I gulped as I spoke.

“He’s in critical condition. He was found a few blocks down from here with multiple stab wounds in his chest, arms, and stomach. They’re transporting him to the hospital right now. As of right now, he’s barely holding on. He’s lost so much blood,” The officer put a hand on my shoulder. “I’m sorry.”

“Which hospital is he being transferred to?” I asked as I started dialing Sydney’s number on my phone.

“St John’s Hospital, I hope he pulls through for you. I mean it.” The officer smiled at me before he walked away. I ran as fast as I could to the car, and broke the speed limit by at least 40 miles an hour as I slammed my foot on the gas pedal.

“Sydney! Oh thank god you picked up. They found Alex, but it’s not good news, he’s barely alive right now. He’s taken multiple stab wounds on his body. Drive with Mateja and Aly down to St. John’s hospital, they’re transporting him there right now I’m almost there.” I hung up the phone before I could get a response and focused on my driving. I spoke so fast I hoped she could understand me. My heart rate was horribly high, my anxiety was out of control, and I couldn’t stop shaking. My son, of whom I barely knew, was almost dead.

I slammed on the breaks as I pulled into the parking lot of the hospital. I scurried to the front desk where I saw a tall red-headed woman had her face pinned into a book.

“Excuse me but do you know what room Alex Haner is in?” I asked out of breath.

“Let me check.” She put on her glasses as he ran through records on the computer. Moments later, she smiled as she handed me a piece of paper from the printer beside her computer. “Here, that’s how to get to the room. He’s in ICU and I don’t think you will be able to get in at the time, but talk to the receptionist up there, she should be able to help you.”

“Thank you so much!” I yelled to her as I ran towards the elevator. Eager to get up to the ICU section, I pounded repeatedly on the elevator button. Once it opened I looked down at my paper and hit ‘floor 3’. I paced around the inside of the elevator hoping he was okay. The elevator stopped and the doors opened, I saw the sign for the ICU section and jogged my way to the desk. I couldn’t run, or I would be kicked out so says the sign on the wall.

“How may I help you?” The petite brunette receptionist asked cheerfully.

“I was told my son, Alex Haner, was here. I was wondering if I could speak to a doctor about his condition.” I tried to speak as calm as possible.

“I’ll look up his doctor right now and call him out here for you.” She still smiled happily, despite knowing how miserable the atmosphere in this place was.

“Thank you, miss,” I said nicely as her fingers slid across the computer keyboard. She pressed a few keys on the phone and ringed up a doctor. She told me to sit in one of the seats while I waited for him; she gave him my name and said he would call me over when he was finished with Alex.

I sat impatiently fidgeting in my seat. My stomach was still churning from earlier thoughts, and anger running over me for wanting to brutally murder the man that even thought of laying a finger on my son. A boy who I barely knew, but already could tell he was innocent and hands down good kid. I saw Aly, Sydney, and Mateja about a half an hour later run out the elevator like a pack of starving wolves towards me. I explained what happened and fell into a deep sob with the girls, only drawing attention to everyone around me. I didn’t care though, they weren’t sitting here hoping that they finally found out they had a seven-year-old son that was now dying on the hospital bed because he ran away for god knows what reason. After two hours, the doctor emerged from the area where patients were lying helplessly, fighting for their life. He pulled off his gloves and reached out to shake my hand.

“Hello, I’m Dr. Stevenson. Your son Alex is in very critical condition, and we still aren’t sure if he is going to make it. He’s lost so much blood and is bleeding internally right now. We need to take him into surgery in order to try and stop the internal bleeding. I’m afraid if you can’t stop the bleeding now, he will die shortly.” The doctor gave me the worst news of my life, ever. Sydney had collapsed to the ground, and my body had frozen like it had done when I saw the hat on the ground.

“C—c—can we see him?” I stuttered.

“You may, but he is unresponsive right now. I’m not sure if you want to, he is hooked up to so many machines and there is a lot of blood—” I cut him off before he could finish.

“I just want to see my son. This might be the last time I can see him alive, and I just found out that I had him a few weeks ago and I barely got to see him. I just want to see him. I don’t care what he looks like, he’s still my son.” I choked on my words and the doctor understood. I put my arm around Sydney and held onto her as he took us to the room where Alex laid unconscious, surrounded by nurses and doctors.

We weren’t allowed inside, only to peer through the glass window. They couldn’t risk anything becoming unsterile and touching Alex’s wounds. We all cringed at the sight. Mateja and Aly excused themselves so we could be alone. I pressed my face against the class as I saw Alex lying with breathing tubes in him, hair caked in blood; his arms were covered by gauze and bandages.

Nurses were constantly checking his vital signs, his eyes were shut tightly, blood leaked through the white bandages, and soon were replaced. Dr. Lawrence handed us a paper to sign in order to perform the operation, knowing that if this couldn’t stop the bleeding Alex would die. Sydney signed on the X and right below her name I signed my name, Brian Elwin Haner Jr. I asked for Sydney to step back outside with Mateja and Aly so I could be by myself. She agreed and walked out the heavy metal doors. I put my hand on the glass and sighed.

“God, if you can hear me, save my little boy.” I looked at Alex one more time before walking out the waiting room while my son was wheeled into the surgery that would save or end his life.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was the longest chapter I think I've written for this story!
Hope it was good. :)