My Undefined Romeo

On the Line

I glared across the table at Nate as he “accidentally” tried to play footsies with me under the table. Dad was at the head, while Mom sat on his right and then me. On Dad’s left was Mr. Carter, Nate, and then Mrs. Carter. Everyone was laughing and smiling and having a great time. Hell, even I was. Mr. and Mrs. Carter were great people. They weren’t stuck up or snobbish as I thought most rich people were.

Nate smirked at me and took a sip of his water.

“Emma,” his mother said smiling at me. “You look lovely tonight. Doesn’t she look nice, Nate?”

I blushed and looked down at my plate.

“Yeah,” Nate said. I could hear the smile in his voice. “Beautiful.”

My mom poked me in the ribs with her elbow and gave me a sideways grin. “He’s a keeper,” she whispered.

I rolled my eyes and took a long drink of my water. Nate was watching me silently across the table. “What?” I mouthed.

He shook his head and grinned. God that boy could be confusing.

“So, Nate,” my dad said. “I hear you’re captain of the rugby team. Very impressive.”

Nate smiled at him. “Thank you.”

“I bet you’re quite the ladies’ man,” my mom said. “I bet all the girls just fall over you.”

Nate chuckled. “Unfortunately.” It was true. All the girls at Sulphur High were practically in love with him, even though most of them had never talked to him before. I didn’t blame them either. Nate was nice, attractive, smart, everything a girl would dream of. He was any girl’s prince charming.

“Do you have a girlfriend?” Mom asked. It sounded like she was interrogating him. I wanted nothing more than to just get up and leave the room, but that would be very rude.

Nate smiled proudly. “No. But the girl I have very strong feelings for is very… defiant. So, no, I don’t have a girlfriend yet.

I scoffed in my seat and everyone turned to look at me. Nate was smirking while everyone else was frowning. “I mean, uh, maybe she’s not the right one for you. If she doesn’t like you now, what makes you think she ever will?” Nice save, Emma. I had to remember to give myself a pat on the back later.

Nate’s smirk faded away and his face became soft and sincere. “I don’t know. But I know there’s something about her. She’s smart, fun, beautiful, unique… I’m not going to give up so easily, Emma.”

When he said my name it suddenly became very personal. “Maybe she just isn’t ready for a relationship. Maybe she doesn’t want to get her heart broken because of how perfect you are.”

“I’m not perfect,” Nate said frowning.

I glared at him. “No, but you’re pretty close. You’re every girls dream guy, Nate! What should make this one special girl believe that you won’t leave her and go hook up with some bimbo?”

“Because I’m not like that,” he stated simply.

“That’s it?” I asked cooly. “Just because you don’t have a reputation now doesn’t mean you won’t.”

“I would never hurt her.”

“Bull. You’re the most popular guy in school! And what is she? She, my friend, is nothing. She sits in the back of class, barely has any friends, and has nothing going for her whatsoever! She does, and never will, deserve someone as amazing as you.”

It was silent. I suddenly became aware of how no one else was in the room. All the adults had left. It was just me and Nate, staring at each other from across the table. He was flustered and aggravated, I could tell.

“Emma,” he said quietly. “I’d never hurt you.”

I felt tears weld up in my eyes. I wanted to believe that. I really did. I had no reason not to. Nate didn’t have a reputation and more than likely never would. “Why should I believe you?”

“Emma!” He demanded, standing up from his chair. “Quit thinking with your head! God! Listen to what your heart is telling you! Take a chance with me! I will never hurt you!

I stood up and shook my head. “Nate… I’m too scared. I can’t.”

“What is there to be scared of?!”

I took a deep breath. “I’m scared of falling for you.”

His face softened and he walked around the table to me. “Is that such a bad thing?” He tried to look into my eyes, but I refused to meet them.

“What if I get too attached?”

He smiled and shook his head. “You won’t. Plus, you already said you are.”

“No,” I whispered. “I’m used to you, but I’m not attached to you how I would if we got together. I can’t let you in. I’m sorry, Nate.” I took a few steps back and started for the kitchen, but stopped when those four stupid words escaped his mouth.

“I’m falling for you.”

I took in a deep breath and sighed. “Well, I’m not.”

“Yes you are.”

I turned around, annoyed. “No, Nate. I do not have any feelings for you whatsoever.”

His eyes narrowed. “You’re lying.”

I let out a frustrated groan. “Nate! Just let it go! Go find Vicky or someone.”

“I don’t want Vicky.” He said her name with venom. “I want you. And I know you have feelings for me. I can see it, Emma.”

I ruffled my hair and started to turn around. “Whatever, Nate.” But before I could turn all the way around, Nate grabbed my waist and turned me around. I didn’t have any time to react before his lips were pressed hard against mine.

At first, I was shocked and didn’t know what to do. Of course, the butterflies were going wild in my stomach and my mind was started to go to mush, but this wasn’t right. I didn’t want this. I. did. Not. Want. Nate… And that’s exactly why I didn’t push him away.

Nate pushed me up against the wall and one hand went behind my neck and the other went behind my back. My hands immediately flew to his neck and entwined in his hair. I kissed back with all the anger that was in my body. So many emotions and feelings were running through my body, but still…

“No!” I said. I pushed him forcefully away from me. “We can’t do this.”

Both of our breathing was ragged and uneven. His hair was all messed up and his face was…well, indescribable. But his eyes were pleading. He was so close to being broken. He stared at me with his mouth slightly open and his hands at his side.

I had never seen him so vulnerable.

This was Nate. Bearing his whole heart and soul.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, well, well... I think I did a pretty good job with this chapter, right? I wonder what will happen next.

Thanks to everyone who reads, comments, and subscribes! I really appreciate it!!!