Status: Complete

Cut

Cut ch. 23

The next morning I sit in the Royal Jokes cafeteria between Elena and Maura. Breakfast is eggs and bacon. It's better than I thought it would be but still not good. The bacon is floppy and the eggs are soupy.

Elena has a disgusted look on her face as she moves the food around with her plastic spoon. All we can have is plastic plates and plastic spoons to eat with. Nothing else.

Elena: This food sucks.

Me: I know.

Elena: You know what I like?

Me:

Elena: Lucky Charms. Those things are the bomb.

Lucky Charms are without a doubt my favorite cereal of all time. Well, actually, the marsh mellows are. I usually just pick those out.

We cannot have such a delicious breakfast food here at Royal Jokes. Only floppy bacon and soupy eggs.

Me: I love Lucky Charms. I used to eat them every morning before....

I stop myself for some reason. Elena continues for me.

Elena: Before you came to this hell hole?

Such language for an eleven-year-old.

Me: Yeah.

Maura turns to us.

Maura: They feed us this crap and wonder why some of the girls are anorexic and bulimic. I think I might take that up.

We all laugh.

Just then, Teddy walks by. Perfect Teddy. Teddy who asked me out on a date.

He smiles at me as he exits the cafeteria.

Teddy: Hey, Em.

Me: H-hey.

Crap. I stuttered.

But just as soon as he appeared he is gone once more.

Elena gives me a funny look.

Me: What?

She raises an eyebrow.

Elena: Don't tell me you like that loser?

Me: Wh-what? No. No way. So what if I did?

Elena: He's a loser.

Me: You said that.

Elena: I know.

Me: You didn't answer my question.

Elena: I know.

Ugh. Here we go again.

Me: You're really getting annoying, you know?

Elena: At least I'm not a loser.

Me: And what? I am?

Elena: Yep. But that's okay. You and that Teddy kid can go have loser babies together.

She smiles sourly but I know she is joking.

Me: I don't like him.

She puts on a nervous face and imitates me talking to Teddy.

Elena: H-hey, Teddy Bear.

I roll my eyes with a smile.

Me: Shut up.

She smiles.

Elena: I'm just saying....
Elena reminds of Rose in more ways than one. Except for Rose is not eleven. Rose is not at Royal Jokes. Rose is not my friend.
I give her a playful look and we finish our breakfast and head off to Group with Maura as our escort.