Status: Complete

Cut

Cut ch. 29

A bruised fist punches Teddy in the nose. He releases me and I run to Elena. When I reach her I turn to see who my hero is; Amber. Amber. The one who was in an abusive relationship. Amber. The crazy one. Amber. The one who quite possibly saved my life.

Teddy stands up straight with the most evil look on his face that I've ever seen. His nose is bleeding and he is walking straight towards Amber.

Me: Teddy stop!

He turns his attention to me. He can sense the tension I am feeling.

Teddy: What's wrong? Scared?

My body is still numb. I cannot move.

Amber: Leave her alone, Teddy!

Amber runs up behind him but Teddy turns around and strikes her across the face.

I let out a blood curdling scream.

Me: Stop!

He runs to me and clutches me around the arms. I can feel him leaving bruises.

Just then, Elena comes over and kicks him in the stomach. He breathes in sharply but is still not phased. He releases me and walks toward her with the same stance as he did Amber.

I have to do something. Amber is lying on the floor and there is no telling what he'll do to Elena. But the only part of my body that can move at the moment is my eyes watching him come closer to her fragile body with every step. And my heart which has never beat faster.

Help them, Emma.

It all happens in slow motion. Just as Teddy beats Elena with every once of violence he has in him I attack. I jump on his back and somehow tackle him to the ground, thankful that my body is moving again. I stand up and kick him in the side repeatedly but he grabs my ankles and takes me down with him. Again, his arms clutch around me. He looks me straight in the eyes. His own are filled with tears of either physical pain or emotional. I notice that his nose is still bleeding but his face softens and his jaw quivers as tears flood his eyes and down his cheeks. I notice that I am crying, too.

He loosens his grip and speaks.

Teddy: This is why I'm here.

He pauses only for a moment.

Teddy: I'm sorry.

Despite everything that he's done I can tell that he really means it. But sadly this means nothing to me.

We lay there frozen for a while until Jenna wheels herself in and sees what has happened. Where is Jan? Teddy is still holding on to me gently but still strong enough so that I cannot break free. With as much force as Jenna can muster she kicks Teddy in the head and he releases me. I can tell that Jenna's kick didn't do very much pain to him but that he has simply given up.

I stand so see Jenna's horrified expression.

She screams but I pay no mind to her. Instead, I run to Elena and Amber. They are laying side by side just a few inches apart. There is a long, red gash on Amber's face and her breathing is fast. Elena has bruises all over her body and she, too, is breathing heavily. Tears stream each of our faces as I think about what these people have done for me. They saved my life. They brought out something in me that I didn't know was even there. They showed me that even though you come into this world alone there are so many people who will not let you leave it the same way. They've shown me that there is a reason for everything. But then, again every single person at Royal Oaks House of Help has done the exact same thing for me.

We are family. Despite all that we have endured together tonight, their smiling faces tell me so.