Milky's Way

: Introduction :

The Hall. That’s what we call this place. An old university dorm building rented out by the council after the uni shut down and got rebuilt the other side of town. People come here to get away, People like me.

I’m Milky, and I’ve been here nearly two months now. It came to me at the strangest of times; I was sat, drunk, crying on a bench in the old park when this oldish looking guy came and sat with me, he handed me a tattered business card and without looking at me he said,

“There’s a place not far from here where you don’t have to be alone. You can drink you life away there, not that I’m recommending it, but there’s help there. There are people just like you, who can help. You’ll see.”

and with that he got up and left. I thought he was just some crazy old guy, but I couldn’t get it out of my head. For days I sat I spent hours just staring at the card reading it over and over again.

g.u.ardian
The Hall,
University way,
LS4 ASP

I was overcome with curiosity. What was this place? and how could they help me, how did they even know I even needed help? Though I guess crying on benches doesn’t help really.
After thinking about it too long I decided to actually do something about it, too long I’ve been like this, maybe change is a good thing. That’s what people say, right? I figured I’d go see this ‘Ardian’ guy and see what it’s all about. I packed up some overnight stuff, I had the feeling I’d be gone a while.

A lot’s changed since then. The Ardian guy owns the hall, the council wanted him to rent it so they could get something out of it, but he had enough money so he bought it, to the disappointment of council staff.

People come here to get away for a while, you can stay as long as you want on the condition you meet with the Guardian, as we call him, once a week just t see how you’re doing. It’s a bit like having a therapist, but on a more personal level, it’s had to describe. There are many different people here at The Hall and Guardian helps them, I don’t know how he does but he does. He doesn’t ask for money for rent or food, he just let’s you be. I don’t think I could do what he does.

Gee, as I like to call him, mainly because he hates it, says that I’m a ‘closed’ person, with secrets and stories that should be shared in order for me to be okay. He’s put together a group, of people just like me apparently, to open up and share our stories. No matter how dramatic or simple, long or short; he believes if we let it fall on open ears we’ll be okay. Every day for two hours we meet in the lounge, all six of us; Me, Frazor, Sara, Richie, Mark and Belle, of course Gee would be there encouraging us.

Everyone gets the chance to tell there story, and this week it’s mine. And to tell the truth, I’m terrified.