I Can't Do It Alone

Call Me

Kris followed her inside, wondering why Tia was so upset. “What’s wrong?” he asked her as she threw her purse on the table and continued to hold the box and letter in her hands.

“Sorry,” she apologized. “I’m just sick of getting these stupid letters and gifts from some stranger,” she explained.

“How many have you gotten?” Kris asked curiously.

“Well, I’ve been getting a letter every day. I’ve only gotten a gift that one time. And, those were flowers,” she explained, opening up the package first.

“What the hell?” Kris asked, looking inside the box and seeing it was a bunch of cut up roses. “What does the letter say?” he asked her.

Tia slowly opened the letter, scared to see what he had written. If he had given her a bunch of shredded roses, she was sure he wasn’t happy. She unfolded the piece of paper and held it out so she and Kris could read it at the same time.

My Beautiful Princess,

I really am disappointed in you. I mean, you’ve been getting a letter from me every single day, and you still haven’t figured out who I am. I thought you were a lot smarter than this, Tia. I’m starting to think that you don’t love me the way I love you.

If you don’t figure out who I am pretty soon, I just might have to punish you. You better start thinking quickly.

Until you figure me out, and I can come forward, and we can be together, just know that I love you!

Your “secret” admirer


Kris looked over at Tia, concerned. “Have all of your letters been like this?” he asked. She didn’t answer right away, but continued to stare at the letter in her shaking hand. “Tia,” Kris said softly, putting a hand on her arm.

Tia immediately jumped, looking over at him. “Sorry,” she apologized. “What did you say?”

“I asked if all of the letters are like this one,” Kris repeated.

Tia shook her head, but didn’t reply. Instead, she walked back to her bedroom, grabbing all the letters that were sitting on her dresser. She walked back into the living room, handing Kris all of the letters.

He scanned through them all before looking back up at Tia. “Have you told anyone about these?” he asked her. “I mean, they keep getting more and more…” he trailed off, trying to think of the right word he wanted to use.

“Creepy?” Tia supplied.

“Yeah, creepy. Tia, I think you should really say something to someone,” he told her.

“No, I don’t want to worry anyone. I mean, it’s probably just some stupid teenager playing a prank or something,” she told him.

“This doesn’t sound like some teenager playing a prank,” Kris told her. “Tia, I don’t want to see anything to happen to you.”

“Nothing’s going to happen to me. It’s not like they’re coming forward or anything.”

“That’s what I’m worried about. You have no idea who it is. For all you know, it’s someone that you see every day. And, what happens when they decide that they don’t want to give you any more time to figure out who it is? What happens when they attack you or something?” Kris asked, expressing all of his fears.

When she didn’t say anything right away, he looked over at her and realized that she was shaking, and she appeared as if she were about to cry. “I’m sorry, Tia. I didn’t mean to worry you or anything,” he told her. “I just…”

“No, you’re right,” she said, trying to fight back her tears. “For all I know, they’re planning on attacking me. But, Kris,” she said, looking up at him with tears in her eyes. “I don’t know what to do.”

“Hey, hey,” he said, rubbing his hands up and down her arms. “Don’t worry. I’m sure he’s not going to do anything that stupid.”

“But, what if he does?” Tia said, not being able to fight the tears anymore, as one leaked through, rolling down her cheek.

“Hey,” Kris said soothingly as he wiped the single tear away. “We’re all here for you. Brooklyn, Jocelyn, Sid, Max, all of us,” he told her. “I’m here for you,” he added when she didn’t look convinced.

Tia looked up into his eyes, slowly moving her head towards his. Realizing what she was doing, Kris met her halfway, his lips capturing hers. He put one of his hands on the side of her face, while Tia placed her arms around his neck.

When they finally pulled apart, Kris leaned his forehead against Tia’s, looking into her eyes. “I’m here for you,” he repeated.

“Thank you,” Tia told him, giving him another quick kiss.

Kris smiled, sitting down at the table while Tia sat across from him. He looked down at the letters once again. “Tia, I’m not trying to upset you or anything, but are you sure there’s no one you can think of that these could be from? Anyone at all? I mean, from work or your neighbors?” he asked.

Tia shook her head. “No,” she told him. “I’ve been trying to figure it out, but I can’t think of anyone. Maybe it’s some stranger?” she questioned.

“But, he used your name in this letter,” Kris pointed out.

“I have no idea. And, Kris, I have no idea what to do about all of this. I mean, what happens if I can’t figure out who is doing this? What happens, if like you said, he doesn’t want to wait on me any longer, and he does something to me?” she asked, the fear in her eyes evident.

Kris reached across the table, grabbing her hand. “Tia, I promise you that no one’s going to let anything happen to you. I’m not going to let anything happen to you,” he clarified.

“Thank you,” she told him, leaning across the table and giving him a quick kiss. She looked down at her watch and realized it was nearing midnight. “Don’t you have practice in the morning?” she asked him.

“Yeah, and don’t you have work?”

“Yeah, I go in at ten, though,” she told him.

“Well, I should get going,” he told her, standing up, with Tia following suit. She walked him to the door, giving him a kiss goodnight. “Are you sure you’re going to be okay here by yourself?” he asked, concerned.

“I’ll be fine,” she assured her.

“Okay,” Kris said, unconvinced. “Well, give me a call if anything happens. And, I mean anything,” he emphasized. “Or if you just want to talk or anything,” he added.

“I get it,” Tia laughed, giving him one last kiss. “Goodnight.”

“Night,” he said, walking out into the hallway and down to his car.

Tia shut the door, leaning back against it. She stared at the letters and the cutup flowers that were sitting on the table. She couldn’t figure out who they were from, and she was worried about what the person was going to do if she didn’t figure it all out soon. But, she knew that Kris would always be there to back her up, which made her feel a lot better as she got ready for bed.