Holiday In Cambodia

Miracle

Back up at the beach, Billie Joe was struggling to stay awake, unaware of the emotional revelations happening down by the water's edge as he sat up with a feverish Tre, trying to keep him cool while the others fell asleep around him. He watched Maggie, curled up in their mosquito net, her breathing slow and regular as sleep took hold of her, before his eyes flicked to Jack and Amber, who were also fast asleep, wrapped up in each other's arms. He sighed, squeezing the excess sea water from Rick's t-shirt, before pressing it back against Tre's forehead. Tre mumbled a little in his sleep, and Billie Joe took the shirt away for a moment, pushing his damp hair away from his face.

"Don't worry, man," he whispered, more for his own benefit than for Tre's, "You're gonna be fine. I promise. We're gonna look after you until you're better."
Tre muttered something incomprehensible, and Billie Joe leaned down, dropping a small kiss against his hot forehead, before lying down next to him and staring up at the stars. His stomach hurt. He rubbed his hand absently over his middle, feeling every rib on his way down. He knew that all his clothes were going to hang off him when they got back home. If they got back home.

His eyelids felt heavy, and he welcomed the relief of sleep as he felt it slowly take him over. He didn't think he had the energy to move over to the shelter of the mosquito net, but he couldn't be bothered to care about the bugs that night. They were the least of his worries now.

He hadn't been sleeping long before he was woken by the feel of something cool and wet against his face. He felt so groggy that he ignored it at first. He'd had all sorts of crazy dreams that week and he didn't expect that night to be any different. He drifted away for a second time, before he was startled awake again by the coolness that pelted his face. As he slowly opened his eyes, sleep leaving him and reality setting in, he gradually became aware of the commotion starting up amongst his beach companions and he let out a gasp, his eyes widening as he hauled himself, shakily, into a sitting position.

For a moment, as he squinted up into the dark sky, he couldn't breathe. He just held his trembling hands out in front of his eyes and watched the cool water spatter against his smudgy palms.

"No... fucking... way..."

"It's raining!" Amber screamed, as she dashed across the sand, throwing her arms around a shell-shocked Mike for half a second before tearing off in the other direction, apparently having lost all ability to function normally, "It's fucking raining! It's fucking raining!"

Jason's eyes fluttered open as the sound of the screaming carried over to their end of the beach, and the feel of the water against his skin snapped him into life. It took him a few seconds to take in what was happening and assure himself that it wasn't a dream.
"Holy fuck!" he exclaimed, Lara's head slipping from it's resting place on his chest as he sat bolt upright.
"Hmuh... What? Jase... Oh my God."

Billie Joe laughed as Maggie jumped into his arms, almost knocking him backwards as she hugged him tightly, happiness and overwhelming relief surging through her body as they raised their eyes skywards, screwing up their faces and laughing as the rain fell heavier and heavier, soaking their hair and pouring into their open mouths.

Amber laughed as she watched everyone racing around, wiping away the tears that were joining the rainwater on her face. She didn't think she had ever seen a bunch of people go so crazy so quickly, and she didn't think she'd ever felt so thrilled to be alive.
"It's a miracle," she smiled, tearfully, as a soaking Jack wrapped his arms around her, grinning like a maniac.
"It's a monsoon," he corrected, playfully, "Let's not give credit where it isn't due."
Amber laughed, messing up his hair and kissing him.
"I love you, you big cynic."
Jack grinned, as he leaned in to kiss her again.
"Love you too."

Amber smiled into his kisses as she tangled her fingers in his sodden hair, before she felt something pelting her hard from behind, and turned to see Rick armed with a handful of sloppy wet sand and cheeky grin. He giggled as she chased after him, grabbing him around the middle and throwing him onto the sand.

Pulling out all the empty water bottles that they had left over, along with all the coconut shells they could find as well, they held them out under the torrential downpour, which filled them in seconds, the rainwater mingling with their tears of relief as they poured it down their throats, feeling it saturate their every nerve. Each of them knew that there wasn't a time in their lives when they had ever been so thankful.

"Tre!" Billie Joe gasped, dropping to his knees infront of his friend, who was watching all the commotion taking place with a goofy smile, drinking the water that collected in his cupped hands. Tre grinned as Billie Joe held out a bottle of water, lifting it to his lips and pouring it into his mouth. Most of it went down his chest, but that didn't matter. Not now.

Billie Joe laughed as Tre let out a groan of relief.
"Never thought rainwater could taste this fucking good, huh dude?" he grinned, raising his voice so that it carried over the roaring of the water as it rushed through the trees.
Tre vigorously shook his head as he drained the water, almost unable to believe how amazing it felt going down his throat, or how heavenly the coolness could feel against his aching head.
"Am I dreaming?" he muttered, "Is it... I don't know anymore, Billie... Is it real?"

Billie Joe laughed, sliding his hand into Tre's.
"It's real," he said, firmly, just as an exciteable Mike arrived on Tre's other side. "I promise it's real."

"Tre!" Mike exclaimed, "It's fucking raining!"
"I know," Tre chuckled, weakly, "I'm not that fucking out of it, man."

Billie Joe laughed again, wiping the rain and the tears from his eyes, the water pouring down so heavily that he was practically breathing it in.

"Guys!" Tre gasped, blinking the water from his tired eyes, his voice cracking, "You guys... listen... you're the best, you know... I know I'm fucked but I'm seriously... I'm serious... whatever happens to us guys, I need you to know that.... I couldn't have coped this long if you weren't here. I wouldn't wanna be here with anyone but you."
Mike smiled, tearfully, taking Tre's hand and squeezing it tightly.
"I know, man," he said, "Me either. But we're gonna be okay, Tre. I can feel it. This is... it's like a sign or something, man. We're gonna be okay."
"I know," said Tre, hoarsely, "But... I mean it. No one ever stuck by me like you guys have. People always just fucking... walk in and out of my life and... no one stays like you. You've always been here, guys. If anything good came out of this fucking hell we're going through... thats it. Its realizing how much I love you guys. Nothing's more important than we are... right?"
Billie Joe nodded, furiously.
"I know," he said, "I love you guys too... and we'll always be here."
He raised his eyes to Mike's.
"Right?"

Mike smiled, emotion welling up inside of him as he nodded.
"I love you guys too," he said, before reaching over Tre and pulling Billie Joe into a tight hug.
"Hey..." smiled Tre, "I'm the fucking sick one around here bitches..."
Mike laughed, as he and Billie each threw an arm around Tre and pulled him in, wondering if he could think of a more perfect moment than this. Billie Joe sighed, shakily, with relief, a tear rolling along his nose as he leaned into his bandmates.
"Wait," he said, suddenly pulling away, "Where the fuck's Jason? I want him in on this group hug right now..."

Mike grinned, looking over his shoulder.
"I think he's kinda tied up as it is..."

Billie Joe's eyes flicked over in the direction of Mike's nod, and then widened.
"What the...." he muttered, as he took in the sight of Jason and Lara, standing on the other side of the beach wrapped up in each others arms, apparently unaware of the chaos that was still going on around them as they lost themselves in heavy kisses.
"I guess they worked out their differences," Mike shrugged, with a smirk. "And all they needed to do was let out a little sexual tension."
"Yeah," Tre mumbled, groggily, "Well, they'd better let it out somewhere other than directly in my line of vision... Jesus, talk about kicking a man when he's down..."
"Want us to go throw stuff at them?" Billie Joe asked, lightly.
Tre nodded.
"Yeah, Billie, " he said, seriously, "Yeah, I think that might be best."

Jason tore his lips from Lara as a second helping of wet sand hit the back of his head, and turned around, sliding his hand into Lara's as his eyes rested on his giggling bandmates. He playfully rolled his eyes.
"Jeez, you two. Are you ever gonna grow up?"
"I hope not," Billie Joe laughed, scooping up some more sand and aiming it at Jason's head.
"Fuck off!" he yelled.
"Get a room!" Mike yelled back.

Jason grinned, turning back to Lara.
"You wanna get out of the way of these assholes?" he asked her, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand.
Lara smiled, shyly, dropping her eyes as she nodded, and Jason grinned.

"Don't worry!" Maggie shouted, suddenly appearing on the scene with a soaking wet and out of breath Rick in tow, "We'll take care of these hoodlums for you!"
Mike laughed as an empty drinks bottle connected with his head.
"You throw pretty good for a girl," Billie Joe commented, an eyebrow raised, which only resulted in a faceful of wet sand.
He screwed up his face and spat onto the ground.
"You bitch!" he complained, wiping his cheek with the palm of his hand, before reaching down and grabbing another handful of sand himself. Maggie laughed as it hit her shoulder.
"You throw pretty good for a girl too," she giggled.

Billie Joe's indignant gasp was drowned out by the laughter of Mike and Rick, who had already become engaged in a sand war of their own, and Maggie only laughed harder when Billie Joe aimed another handful at her and missed. Jason smiled, shaking his head as he decided to take advantage of his friends' distraction and grabbed Lara's hand, leading her away from the scene and towards the rocks that divided their beach from the adjoining cove.

Maggie and Billie Joe didn't even notice, their war only becoming more enthusiastic as the rain seemed to fall heavier still, the sand turning to mush beneath their bare feet. Maggie squeezed her eyes shut and laughed as Billie Joe grabbed her by the back of her shirt, holding her at arms length to prevent her from moving as he aimed more sand at her.
"That is definitely fucking cheating!" she shouted, squirming free of his grasp and pulling his arms away from her.
"Since when were there rules to this game?" he grinned.
"There are no rules?"
"Nope."

Maggie grinned, scooping up another handful of sand, before grabbing his arm and hauling him closer as she rubbed it into his hair, illiciting a strangled yell.
"That's fucking playing dirty!" he protested, vigorously shaking his head.
"What? Messing up your hair?" Maggie laughed, "You really are a girl..."
"You were supposed to be on my side with the hair thing, bitch!"
Maggie laughed even harder.
"Yeah... but I am a girl..."
"Holy fuck, really?" he replied, clapping a hand over his mouth, "Shit... sorry... wow, that's embarrassing..."
Maggie grinned, lifting a foot and gently kicking him in the stomach so that he staggered backwards. He grabbed her arm for support, before scowling in mock anger.
"I can't believe how fucking violent you are tonight, Maggie."
"I think there might be something in this rainwater," she giggled, struggling against him as he attempted to push her over.
"Yeah... probably cholera or something," he joked, "I have a feeling we shouldn't be drinking it."
"Ah... fuck it," Maggie smiled.
"Yeah, fuck it," he agreed, still straining to hold her off, "I couldn't have felt much worse..."

The struggle ended as Maggie somehow managed to kick his leg out from under him and he fell backwards, taking him by surprise. She laughed as he grabbed hold of her, toppling onto the sand and pulling her down with him.
"How did you do that?"
"I did karate as a kid. I used your weight to my advantage."
Billie Joe laughed, as Maggie attempted to haul herself up. She felt her stomach do a little flip as he pushed her back down, and she grabbed his tattooed forearms in an attempt to hold him off.
"That's not too impressive, babe, there isn't a lot of weight here to use. I'm not exactly looking my stockiest right now."

Maggie felt her muscles suddenly go slack. Did he just call her babe? Her eyes darted to the side to avoid his, as he pinned her to the wet sand, their breathing heavy.
"Good job you kind of suit being skinny," she said, lightly.
Billie Joe laughed, softly, a grin creeping onto his lips as the water fell from his hair and dripped onto Maggie's face. His fingers suddenly loosened their grip on her arms and slid up into her hands, locking with hers as their struggle finally ceased. His head spun as his eyes met her questioning stare, and his head lowered so that she could feel wet locks of his hair brush against her forehead. Her heart raced. She needed to get out of this situation. The way he made her feel, she knew it was way too dangerous to be so close to him, but his eyes were suddenly so entrancing that she couldn't move.

Billie Joe's breath shook a little. None of their days on the island had seemed very real to him, but this night was feeling particularly dream-like. If it was just a dream, was it wrong? Did he even care anymore?

Maggie felt a rush of prickly electricity like no other as his lips lightly brushed against hers, so gently at first that she wondered if it was really happening at all. She took a sharp intake of breath as his wet fingers flexed slightly in between her own, and her eyes fluttered closed as she felt his hot breath against her mouth, before it was followed by his lips again, firmer this time. Her mind went foggy, and she had only just begun to kiss him back when he pulled away.

His heart pounded as he quickly released her hands and sat up. This was too crazy, too weird. He'd been kissing the same woman for thirteen years and suddenly here he was, with someone else, wanting to...

Maggie's disappointment quickly turned to fear as he stood up suddenly, a hand grabbing at his wet hair.
"Bill..." she said, shakily, "I'm sorry, I..."
"Don't be," he told her, cutting her off, "I just need to... I need to take a moment."

Maggie dropped her head back onto the sand, a tear leaking from the corner of her eye as she squinted up into the black sky, letting the cool rain shower her face, before she covered it with her hands. If something felt too good to be true, it probably was.

The rain was starting to lighten up, and in the next cove, things were much calmer. Lara let out a contented sigh, looking down at her fingers, which were entwined with Jason's as they leaned back against the rocks. He smiled as she rested her head on his shoulder.
"Kinda weird that we only started speaking to each other about an hour ago, right?" he smiled, his chin dropping onto the top of her head.
Lara smiled, turning her head to look into his face.
"Yeah... but life on this island has been fucking weird since we got here... I'm getting used to it now."
Jason smiled.
"I know what you mean," he said, with a small sigh, as Lara continued to play with his fingers.

A silence fell over the pair, and Lara closed her eyes, listening to the waves as they crashed against the rocks. The silence didn't bother her. They were used to silence, after all.
"The rain's lightening up," she sighed, after a few minutes, opening her eyes and looking towards the sky. The clouds were parting, revealing patches of jet black, dotted with stars.
"I know," mumbled Jason, "But its okay. We collected plenty of water. We'll be okay for a few more days now."
"You really think that someone will come by and get us?"
Jason tightened his arm around Lara, and rested his head against hers.
"Yeah," he said softly, "Someone has to come at some point, right? We'll be okay."
"I've been really scared," Lara admitted, quietly.
"I know," Jason murmured into her wet hair, "But we'll be okay now... and, y'know... now I can look after you too."
Lara grinned, feeling warm as she tightened her grip around his waist.
"This is kind of crazy," she said, "You and me, I mean... All I wanted was for you to forgive me and... I got so much more."

Jason smiled.
"It isn't that crazy," he said, "All I wanted was you."
Lara grinned, as Jason dipped his head to kiss her, and she reached up to lay her hand against his cheek, feeling his jaw drop a little as their kiss deepened. Her head swum as he dragged her into his lap, wrapping his arms around her as their kisses picked up pace. Jason let out a small groan as Lara pushed him backwards and his head connected with the rock behind him, making her giggle against his lips.
"Sorry... "
He shook his head.
"Forget it, it heals," he said, breathlessly, and Lara grinned as he frantically claimed her lips again. Her heart raced at the feel of his tongue against hers, and the feel of his fingers as they tangled in her hair, and she placed her hands on his wet chest to steady herself as they slid down the rock onto the sand.

She bit her lip as his kisses made their way to her neck. She didn't think she had ever wanted anything so badly as she wanted Jason right then. Losing herself in something so blissful, she could almost forget what they were going through. Catching him in another deep kiss, she blindly fumbled with the button on his fly, and he broke off, surprise and excitement flickering in his stomach.

"Hey," he whispered, his breathing heavy, "... We only started talking an hour ago, right... are you sure this is what you want?"
Lara nodded, vigorously, and Jason planted another soft kiss on her lips, propping himself up on his elbow. He sighed.
"I mean... Lara... we don't even have any... "
"It doesn't matter," she replied, firmly.
Jason raised an eyebrow, and then laughed, kissing her again.
"I don't want you do regret this, that's all."
"I won't. I promise. Fuck, Jase, we're stuck on a fucking island, and we don't know when, or if, we're getting off. This is a time for taking risks. Besides, after all the shit it's been through, I don't know if my body is even working enough right now for the risk to be there."
Jason grinned.
"You aren't gonna take no for an answer?"
"No."
"Damn... " he chuckled, as she pulled him in for another kiss.

The walk didn't do anything to make sense of Billie Joe's scrambled mind. His legs felt tired as he trudged back up the beach. The monsoon had run it's course now, leaving a fine mist in the air that was difficult to breathe. He wiped the water from his face with the back of his arm as he reached the rest of the group, all exhausted from the night's excitement. Amber and Jack were asleep already, and he looked over towards Tre, who seemed to be heading that way too, Rick beside him, mumbling quietly. He bit his lip as his eyes settled on Maggie, wrapped in her mosquito net at the far end of the beach. He hesitated for a few seconds, before shaking his head and starting towards her, his stomach stirring with nerves.

She hadn't been asleep. There was no way she was going to be able to sleep after what had happened earlier. She wasn't sure she was ever going to be able to sleep again. Her heart pounded as she watched him saunter across the sand towards her, his head bowed and his hands stuffed in the pockets of his raggedy shorts. She held her breath as he crouched next to her.

"Alright if I come in?" he asked, quietly.
She didn't trust herself to speak, so she just held the edge of the net up, and he took it and slid underneath, lying down next to her and staring up at the sky.
"I'm sorry," she whispered, eventually, feeling a lump form in her throat.
He turned his head to face her, his eyes searching her face, before he rolled onto his side, tucking his hand beneath his head.
"You don't have anything to apologise for," he said, softly, "I'm sorry I skipped out like that. I'm such a jerk sometimes."
Maggie smiled a little.
"I know," she replied, hoarsely, and he grinned. Her heart lifted at the sight of his grin again.
"We're pals, you and me... right?" he asked, raising his eyebrows.
Maggie nodded, firmly.
"Definitely."
"So we don't need to worry. These things happen."
Maggie nodded, in agreement.
"Absolutely."
"I mean... it was just a kiss between friends, right? I kiss the guys all the time. It doesn't mean anything."
"Exactly," Maggie agreed, smiling a little, as he moved closer.
"This isn't the first time being over-zealous with my kisses has gotten me into trouble. So, you know... we can just blame it on me and be done with it."
Maggie giggled, feeling lighter.
"I'd like to blame it on you," she said, "Cause it sure wasn't my fault."
"No, nothing ever is, right?"
"Exactly. See...You catch on fast."
Billie Joe laughed, softly, and they stared at each other silently for a few moments before Maggie felt awkward and looked away.
"I guess it's lucky you're a crappy kisser."

Billie Joe's mouth fell open, and the look of indignation that crossed his face made Maggie crease up with laughter.
"You're a fucking liar!" he exclaimed, accusingly, as she laughed harder.
"I never lie."
"No, but you tease."
"You're such an egomaniac."
"Fuck off."
"You can't stand hearing any suggestion that you aren't a total sex god."
"Hey... it's what I do."
Maggie laughed again, and he scowled, playfully.
"It's only cause I wasn't trying! I didn't want to kiss you anyway!"
"Hah. You want to kiss everything. Weren't trying...."

Billie Joe grinned, propping himself up on his elbow and leaning over her.
"Since when did you make the transition from being so sweet to being such a bitch?"
Maggie giggled.
"I don't know. Maybe there was something in that water. Or maybe your terrible kissing just made me bitter and twisted."
A small laugh escaped Billie Joe, as his gaze flicked from Maggie's eyes down to her lips and back again.
It's just a kiss between friends, right? I kiss the guys all the time. It doesn't mean anything.

Maggie's eyes widened and then closed again as his mouth came down hard against hers, her insides doing somersaults as she was taken completely by surprise. Her conscience pulled at her for a moment, before she pushed it out of the way, her attraction to him winning over as she reached a hand into his wet hair. She wasn't letting him get away so easy this time.

A jolt of electricity seemed to surge through her as she felt his tongue trail against her lower lip, before it briefly met hers, their kisses deepening as she slid her hand round to the back of his neck, pulling him in closer. Her breathing became shakier still as she laid her other hand against the damp skin of his tattooed chest, and his lips left a trail of kisses from her mouth to her neck.

She closed her eyes, breathing in the scent of fresh sweat and rainwater from his skin and his hair, which seemed to make the desperate feeling in her guts reach new heights. Maggie tugged on his tangled hair, and he let out a small gasp as his mouth met hers in another deep, wet kiss, before he shakily pulled back, and they stared at each other, breathing heavily.

"How's that?" he muttered, breathlessly, his heart pounding.
Maggie stared at him, and for a moment she was too shocked to speak.
"Um," she stammered, clearing her throat in an attempt to compose herself. "That was definitely better."