Holiday In Cambodia

After the Storm

The morning after the storm, the air was thick and damp. The monsoon had moved on, leaving a heavy mist in its place, hovering over the beach like a white blanket. Billie Joe blinked through it, squinting in the milky light as his eyes fluttered open for the first time that day.

As his eyes focussed on Maggie, curled against his side, her arms wrapped loosely around his waist, Billie felt his heart skip a beat. The memories of the night before came flooding back to him in a second, bringing with them an intense feeling of guilt that slammed into his guts like a brick.

He felt his chest begin to fill up with panic, but he managed to force it back down as he extracted himself from Maggie's arms, his breath still shaky as he eased out from under the mosquito net and took a deep breath of fresh air.

Standing up, his hands went to his hair, his fingers pulling on the ends before sliding down to cover his face.
"Fuck," he whispered, under his breath, "Fuck... fuck... fuck."

He stole one last glance at Maggie, before he squeezed his eyes shut tight for a moment, as if shutting her out of his sight might somehow erase what he had done. Letting out a breath, he shakily started walking down the beach, where his companions were starting to wake.

He passed Amber, who was busy trying to drive a hole through a coconut with a sharp rock, and she looked up.
"Morning, Hon," she said, brightly, "How's things?"

Billie Joe stuffed his hands into the pockets of his shorts and looked down at the sand.
"Fine," he said, quickly, before starting on his way again.
"Bill," she called, "Are you alright?"
"I don't wanna talk about it," he replied, looking back over his shoulder at her as he headed towards the water.

Amber frowned after him, a little confused. She knew that everyone was under a lot of pressure, and that she had to make allowances, but she had thought that maybe after the night before, now they had some water, everyone would be in better spirits. Obviously, it was going to take more than water for that.

She didn't know where Billie Joe was headed, and she didn't see him again for a while. He hadn't returned by the time Mike woke up, staggering over to her and smiling as he collapsed next to her on the sand.
"Hey," Amber smiled, turning to face him, "How d'you feel?"
"Better than yesterday. I fucking needed that water."
"Damn right. You look a little brighter. How's Tre?"
"Not awake yet. I'm hoping he's feeling better too."
"We all hope that. I don't think Billie's feeling any better though... Just saw him heading off towards the rocks. He seemed pretty crabby."
"Ah, that's just Billie a.m."
"I don't know," Amber frowned, "He didn't look too good to me. I hope he's okay."
Mike sighed, leaning back on his palms.
"I'll check later," he decided, "But don't worry. He can be beyond moody when he wants to be, and he's going through a lot right now, we all are. Don't take it personally, Ams."
"Yeah," she agreed, with a sigh. "I guess you're right. I just hoped last night might have cheered everyone up a bit."
"Last night was amazing," Mike smiled, "I still can't believe it happened. Just like that. If it weren't for mother nature... gee, I don't know we coulda been sure of everyone waking up this morning."

At his words, Amber felt a little shiver run up her spine, before she nodded, solemnly.
"We just have to cope a few more days," she said, "They have to send a boat soon. If they don't... fuck, Mike. I'm really getting scared."
"I know," he said, "But don't worry. We're tough. We can take it. We'll pull together, right?"
Amber smirked a little.
"Some more than others, apparently," she said, "What was with Lara and Jason last night? I think that was more surprising than the rain!"
Mike grinned.
"Tell me about it. That girl is seriously screwed in the head. She acts like she hates him all week and then... well, I guess Jase forgave her in the end."
Amber grinned.
"It makes no sense," she sighed, "But nothing else has made sense lately either."

"I told her she had to tell him," said Rick, suddenly, overhearing.
Amber and Mike turned their heads.
"You knew about this?" Mike asked him, incredulously.
"Yeah," said Rick, stretching languidly, "She told me the other day. She was pretty upset. She thought he hated her, but she was too afraid to speak to him and find out for real."
"Why didn't you tell me?" Mike demanded.
Rick shrugged.
"She told me not to say anything."
"I don't care! Jason's been driving me fucking nuts and you knew it! For fuck's sake!"

Amber grinned.
"I think it's romantic."
"In what way is completely ignoring each other romantic?" Mike asked, his voice edged with sarcasm.
"You're a guy," Amber sighed, as she began to scratch at the surface of the coconut again, "You wouldn't understand."
"Too right," Rick agreed.
Mike chuckled.
"Well, in that case, I'll catch you girls later," he said, "And I'll go check what's eating Billie Joe this morning."
Amber nodded, watching as he stood up and stretched.
"Tell him I'll make him some breakfast to cheer him up."
Mike raised an eyebrow.
"What's for breakfast?"
"Um... rice?"
Mike grinned.
"No offence, Honey, but I think I'll leave that offer out. I'm supposed to be cheering the poor bastard up."

Tre listened to the rumble of conversation coming from across the beach, trying to focus his mind as he blinked through the mist. Images and memories of the night before flashed through his head and he frowned, trying to ignore the aching in his stomach and the pounding in his hot head as he attempted to separate reality from his imagination. He held his hand up to his face and waited for the two images to slide slowly into one, before frowning at his swollen finger.
"Fucker," he muttered.

"You okay, man?"
Tre looked up as Jack approached, dripping seawater. He knelt by his side and held out a bottle of water, which Tre eyed suspiciously.
"... Water?"
"Yeah," Jack smiled, passing it to Tre before settling more comfortably on the sand, "You don't remember the monsoon last night?"
"... I... yeah, I do. I just wasn't sure... y'know. If it was real or not."
Jack chuckled as Tre took a drink.
"Don't worry. I felt the same way when I woke up. How d'you feel?"
"Uh... shit. I didn't throw up last night though."

Jack nodded, as he watched Tre drink the water, and his eyes narrowed in concern. He fact he hadn't been sick didn't comfort him. It wasn't like he'd eaten anything to bring up. He reached out to feel Tre's forehead. He was dangerously warm again, his skin still sickeningly pale. He tried to push the nerves out of his stomach. He knew worrying about him wasn't going to help a thing

"How much water do we have?" Tre asked, as he passed the bottle back, his voice raspy.
"Um... I think about seven bottles or something," Jack replied, "But we filled some coconut shells too. We have enough to last us another couple of days."
"What then?"
Jack looked down, rubbing his hands together slowly in thought.
"I'm not sure," he admitted, trying to make his voice sound confident. "But... I'm trying to think of a way we can get off the island."
"Is there a way?"
"Haven't come up with anything yet. Give me time."

Tre let out a sigh, his eyes sliding closed again. His imaginary world was preferable to his real one right then.
"Taken a malaria pill yet?"
Tre opened one eye again, before he slowly shook his head.
"They make me feel sick."
"Don't care," said Jack, unscrewing the cap from the bottle.
"Jack," Tre muttered, as two pills were placed in his open palm.
"Yeah?"
"Where's Mia?"
Jack shrugged, rubbing a hand over his eyes.
"I dunno, mate," he said, "She could be hiding anywhere."
Tre nodded in quiet consideration. Jack raised an eyebrow.
"Why... you worrying about her or something?"
Tre sighed, attempting to shift so that he was more comfortable, but failing.
"I don't... I don't like her, y'know," he muttered, thoughtfully, "But... I don't want her to like... die or anything."
Jack smirked a little as he stood up.
"Well," he said, "Maybe the fact she shagged you gave you a little more compassion."

When Maggie awoke that morning, she had five blissful seconds of overwhelming contentment. She didn't know why. She hadn't woken up feeling in the slightest bit positive any other morning that week. Five seconds from opening her eyes, stretching and blinking sleepily, up until the moment when her eyes fell on the empty space next to her, and she remembered who had filled it the night before.

She drew in a sharp breath as she was hit by the memory of the night before, and held it in as it replayed in her mind. Had it really happened? Her heart was thumping hard in her chest as she pulled the mosquito net over her head and shielded her eyes from the sun, scanning the beach for any sign of Billie Joe. The fact that he wasn't around made her panic levels rise. It shouldn't have happened. It should never have happened. She liked him so much, and now she had fucked up everything. He was a married man!

Maggie sat in shocked silence for a few minutes, her eyes fixed on a footprint left in the sand in front of her. His footprint. Thinking about how much he must regret what happened made her ache. Her thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the realization that the relations between herself and Billie wasn't the only surprise last night, and she shakily stood up and went off in search of some water.

"Hey, Mags, you right?" Rick greeted her as she approached, picking up a plastic bottle of rainwater from the sand. Her fingers shook a little as she attempted to unscrew the cap, and she looked over at Amber and Rick, who had stopped what they were doing to look at her strangely.
"Maggie... " Amber frowned, "... Are you okay?"

Maggie bit her lip to stop it trembling, as she lowered herself to the sand and took a drink. She could feel her friends' eyes on her, but she couldn't look at them.

"I did something bad," she told them, keeping her voice low. At her own words, she felt a lump in her throat, and she rested her head in her hand, rubbing it over her tired face.
"What?" Rick asked, sounding confused, "What are you talking about?"
She didn't know how to answer him, and she let out a shaky breath as she tried to form words inside her head. She was still trying when she felt Amber's hand slide into her own and squeeze it gently.
"Maggie... What's wrong? What's happened?"
"Billie kissed me."
She couldn't meet their eyes, as she listened to their shocked silence.
"And I kissed him back," she continued, "... A lot."

She wasn't sure what adding that was supposed to achieve, but it was done now. After what felt like hours she looked up, and if she hadn't felt so shitty their expressions would have been comical.

"Oh my God... " breathed Rick, "How was it?"
Amber scowled at him.
"I don't think that's really the issue," she told him.
Rick folded his arms sulkily,
"It was the first issue in my mind... ." He muttered, before turning to Maggie, "I'm sorry. I realise it must have been awful for you. I didn't mean to be insensitive."
Maggie almost smiled at his teasing, before she sighed and covered her face.
"Whatever," she mumbled, "The point it, he's married. What was I thinking... "
"I don't suppose you were thinking," said Amber, shifting closer to Maggie and putting an arm around her shoulders, "But last night... I don't think any of us were. It was crazy, we just got caught up in the moment, and he was there at the wrong time. Hell, if you'd been sharing a mozzie net with Rick, you'd have probably ended up snogging him."
Rick smirked.
"Yeah, right place at the right time. Talk about getting lucky. You bitch! How did this happen?!"
"That's the worst part... He kissed me when we were down by the rocks... it was nothing much but... it was there. Then he panicked and ran off. He obviously felt terrible about it. I went back up the beach and settled down for the night... I felt like shit. Then he came back up later and apologised... lay down next to me and... kissed me again. Only that time... it was pretty heavy."
"Oh my God... what did you do?" Rick asked, with far more excitement than was appropriate.
"What d'you think?" Maggie muttered, putting her head back in her hands, "Kissed him back. Tried to control the urge to rip all his clothes off."

Amber and Rick couldn't help but chuckle, despite her obvious distress.
"Look," Amber said, with a sigh, "Do you like him?
"Like him... . Yeah, I like him. I like him a lot. Probably a lot more than I should. But y'know... I know he's married. If this hadn't happened, I wouldn't have tried anything. He has a wife and children and I respect that. I can deal with us just being buds. We get along great, Billie and I. I guess we're just on the same wavelength. So y'know... I can cope with the friends thing... it's enough for me."
"It would just be easier for you to cope with if he didn't ram his tongue down your throat," Amber put in.
Maggie nodded, as she felt tears behind her eyes.
"I just... Adrienne and the kids... I feel so guilty. They must be so worried about him and if they knew... "
"Hey," Rick frowned, taking her hand, "He was the one cheating, not you. They're his problem"
Amber nodded in agreement.
"You need to talk to him."
"I don't know if I can look him in the face... "
Rick sighed.
"Sorry, babe. You have to."

Billie Joe hadn't been able to get as high up on the rocks as he had a few days earlier, when he had sat there with Jack. It was amazing how much strength he had lost in just a few days. He settled himself on a ledge that overlooked the ocean, but he didn't look at it. Instead, he pulled his knees up to his chest and buried his face in his arms, his eyes closing.

Because of the direction of the gentle breeze, he couldn't hear a sound coming from the beach. The only noise was the sound of the water, and the occasional outbreak of squawking birds or primate laughter from the jungle.

Mike startled him when he approached. With his eyes covered, he hadn't noticed him approaching until he was sitting down by his side, and he raised his head.
"Hey," said Mike, lightly, looking out at the water.
"... Hey... " Billie Joe muttered, suspiciously, eyeing Mike sidelong, "What's up?"
"Nothing, why?"
"I don't know... you just had that look on your face... the one you get when you're about to analyse me."
Mike smiled, turning to look at him.
"Ah, Amber just mentioned you seemed kinda pissy earlier. I was just checkin' you were okay."

Billie Joe looked down at his bare feet, and curled his toes. He didn't think he could bring himself to admit to Mike what he had done.
"Bill... " Mike prompted, "... Are you okay?"
Billie Joe sighed, putting his head in his hands.
"You're going to hate me," he whispered, eventually.

Mike rolled his eyes. He'd known Billie Joe for twenty three years, but his dramatics never failed to amaze him.
"Billie Joe, I am not going to hate you, for fuck's sake. What are you talking about?"
"Mike... " Billie groaned, "I seriously... I've done something stupid and I... you're gonna-"
"Billie, we've fallen out once already this week, and all it did was make this entire nightmare worse. We're friends again now, so let's stay that way. I am not going to hate you. Now tell me what the fuck is up."
"I kissed Maggie."

He hadn't been expecting that.

"You... " Mike stammered, before trailing off, as shock took him over, and he took to simply staring at Billie Joe's guilty expression.
"I know," he said, softly, "Don't ask me why I did it. I don't know. I know it was stupid and, yes, I regret it now but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time, and fucking hell, Mike, I'm just... so confused, I can't stop thinking about it and about Adrienne and, just... fuck! I feel like a piece of fucking shit!"
"Oh my God," said Mike, in disbelief, as he attempted to wrap his head around this new situation, "I just... I can't believe... I mean, you and Adie... You and Adie! Billie Joe!"
"I know... Mike, I'm so, so fucking sorry. I don't know why the hell I'm apologising to you but somehow I feel like I should cause... I just, I know how disappointed in me you must be."
"I think Adie's the one that needs the apology, man... "
Billie Joe frowned.
"You think?"
Mike sighed in frustration.
"Look, what does this mean? You and Maggie are friends, right? So was this an innocent kiss between friends or was it something more? I mean, I know you and Adrienne have had your problems lately, but... you still love her. Don't you?"
"Of course. I'll always love her. I love her more than anything. And I love my sons. And it kills me, thinking about what life must be like for them back in the states right now... not even knowing whether I'm alive... . And I'm here... screwing around with another woman... and... "

Mike groaned, inwardly as Billie Joe choked up with tears. He slid an arm around his friend's narrow shoulders. There weren't many times he had seen Billie Joe cry, but it killed him every time. There was no point being angry with him over this. He was angry enough at himself for the both of them.

"Look, Bill," he said, soothingly, "It was just a kiss, right?"
Billie Joe nodded.
"A kiss is a kiss. It isn't like you had sex with her. This could have been a whole lot worse. Last night was crazy... I think we were all just so fucking relieved to get some water that we got carried away."
"It isn't an excuse."
"I know. It isn't. You made a mistake. We've all done it. It didn't mean anything."
Billie Joe covered his damp eyes with his palms.
"I know... but I shouldn't have enjoyed it so much... "
"Hey," said Mike, raising an eyebrow, "You've kissed me and enjoyed it before. And it didn't mean you were going to leave your wife then."

Mike felt Billie Joe let out a small chuckle, and smiled.
"Look," he said, "You want to be with Adrienne, right?"
Billie nodded.
"Adie and I... I love her. And we've been through a lot together. Too much to throw away."
"So... you need to talk to Maggie. You have to tell her it meant nothing."
"It's gonna hurt her. I don't want to. She's so lovely... I mean... If I was single... "
"But you aren't," said Mike, firmly.
Billie Joe sighed.
"I know," he said, "... I know."

There were no regrets in the next cove around the island, where Lara and Jason had awoken, wrapped up together on the still-damp sand. Lara smiled happily to herself as she closed her eyes again, her head resting on Jason's warm chest. He looked down at her, feeling a rush of contentment of his own as he brushed her dark hair away from her face, unable to believe how much had changed overnight.

"Sleep well?" he murmured.
"Mmhmm," Lara smiled, without opening her eyes. "Maybe we could just stay here today."
He grinned.
"Sounds like a plan. Knowing my luck though, someone will pull up at the other beach in a speedboat and they'll all fuck off to Ha Tien without us."
Lara giggled.
"They wouldn't do that," she said, before sighing. "I wish a boat would just come now. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if we looked up and there was one coming towards us? Fuck, I think I'd die of happiness right there."
"That would be ironic," Jason commented, and she grinned.
"Seriously though," she considered, "I bet the fact that you guys are missing is splashed over the entire Western world. Your tour guys knew you were in Cambodia. It's a big place, but there must be authorities looking for you... right?"
"I'd hope so. But we're kinda off the beaten track out here."
"They'll search the coast eventually," said Lara, confidently, "They have to."
"I hope so," sighed Jason, "You'd think the US embassy in Cambodia, wherever it is, would be on our case by now."
Lara smirked.
"The embassy? You really think the US government are gonna drop everything to rescue Green Day?"
Jason laughed.
"It's okay. We don't have to worry. Neither of us is in the band, anyway."
"You should be."
"Damn right. I've got more talent than that prettyboy in my little finger."
Lara laughed.
"I'm serious, Jase," she said, "Doesn't it annoy you?"
He shrugged.
"Sometimes. But hey, it's a great job. I'm not gonna complain. Well, maybe a little. When we go on tour, I guess I do feel like a bit of a spare part at times."
"Are you gonna stay with them?"
"I don't know. I'm thinking it over."
"Can't you get the Influents back together?"
"Nah... the guys are doing their own things now, I think we've laid that to rest. But there's other stuff I could do... who knows? Maybe one day I'll be really famous and have hoards of female admirers screaming at me to shove my hand down my pants."
Lara laughed again, wrapping her arms around his waist and holding him tighter.
"Well... you already have one admirer. Anything else is just getting greedy."

Back at the beach, Maggie was still sitting with Amber and Rick, half-listening to their nonsense conversation as she occupied herself with her own anxiety, her thoughts playing on an insistent loop inside her head. She looked up as she noticed Mike striding purposefully toward her, and the look on his face made the knot in her guts pull tighter.
He knew.

"Maggie... he began, when he was close enough for her to hear him.
"... Yeah?" she replied, nervously.
"Billie Joe needs to talk to you. I mean... you need to talk to each other."
Maggie could feel herself beginning to redden.
"I... I know," she stammered.

Mike sighed, grabbing her arm and pulling her out of ear shot of the others before looking her straight in the eye.
"Are you okay?" he asked, laying a large, comforting hand over her shoulder.
She nodded, looking down at her feet. Mike watched her squirm for a moment, before he continued.
"Look... I know you like him a lot," he said, quietly.
Maggie looked up, her heart beating fast. The look of fear in her large brown eyes was enough to make Mike smile.
"I... what... Mike, what makes you think I like him so much? It was just a stupid kiss, it doesn't mean that I -"
"It isn't about the kiss," Mike replied, shaking his head as he interrupted her, "I can tell just by the way you look at him, Mags. It's been obvious from day one."
Maggie bit her lip, embarrassment tingeing her cheeks.
"Obvious to everyone... to him?"
Mike shrugged.
"Probably," he replied, lightly, "But I wouldn't worry about that. It's Billie Joe. He thinks everyone wants to make out with him under a mosquito net."
Maggie smiled, despite herself.
"I didn't... I'm not trying to steal him away from his wife, y'know. Besides, he kissed me. I wasn't trying to seduce him or anything. I just... enjoyed it."
"I know that, Maggie but... look, you just need to talk okay? He's up on the rocks. I don't think he's gonna be moving any time soon."
She nodded.
"Okay," she whispered, nervously.

Mike's eyes narrowed in sympathy, before he reached out and wrapped her in a comforting hug. She didn't deserve to get hurt, he knew that. Billie Joe knew it too. But that wasn't going to make things any easier. Nothing stings more than unrequited love.

Maggie placed one hand against the warm rock to steady herself as she hopped over the pools of clear sea water. The mist was lifting now, and the hazy sun seemed to be hotter than ever. Couldn't he have picked somewhere in the shade? She didn't see him until she got to the other side of the rocks, and the sight of him made her stomach lurch unexpectedly.

He was still sitting hunched over on the lowest ledge of the cliff, looking down at his hands and examining a small purple shell he had picked up on the beach that morning. His dark hair had begun to twist into natural dreadlocks, which fell into his eyes as his head bowed forward. Maggie bit her lip as her eyes wandered over his tanned body, taking in the spattering of tattoos, before sliding down to the grey shorts which were now looking beyond frayed. She couldn't help thinking that this would all be a lot easier to deal with if he'd only put a fucking shirt on.

Billie Joe looked up as Maggie began the climb up the rocks to join him, anxiety stirring in his stomach. He could see she was having trouble pulling herself up the rock and for a moment he debated whether he should reach a hand out to help her. He eventually decided that, however awkward the situation was, it was no excuse to give up on being a gentleman, so he offered his hand to help her, but she shook her head. She finally managed to heave herself onto the ledge, feeling exhausted as she took a seat next to him.

For a few long moments neither said a word. Maggie looked down at her feet and Billie Joe took a sudden, intense interest on the small flowering plant that was growing out through the crack in the rocks beside him.

Eventually, he ripped a leaf off it in frustration, and sighed.
"I'm sorry about last night," he said, "I don't know what came over me... I just got all caught up in the moment and I... well, I didn't mean to throw myself at you like that."

Maggie chewed the inside of her mouth, unable to look at him.
"Yeah, well," she muttered, "I didn't exactly beat you off with a stick."
"This isn't like me, y'know," he said, quietly. "I don't want you to think I'm the kind of guy who screws around."
Screws around. The words made her ache.
"None of us are ourselves," Maggie muttered, "Don't worry about it."

Billie Joe raised his eyes to look at her, but she wouldn't meet his gaze. He watched her chew her lip and felt guilt sweep through him as he saw the anguish on her face.
"I'm not gonna pretend I didn't enjoy it," he admitted, softly, "And I'm not gonna pretend I didn't know exactly what I was doing. But... the thing is, I shouldn't have done it. Because I love my wife."

Maggie nodded, fighting back her tears, not daring to speak, or even breathe, in case she lost her resolve and cried.
"Mag... are you okay?"
She nodded. He didn't believe her. He reached out and placed his hand over hers, which was resting on her knee. Her gaze travelled to his tattoo-spotted fingers and she closed her eyes, letting out a shaky breath, remembering the tenderness with which they had touched her the night before.

"You know, Maggie, I think you're awesome, I really do, and I-"
"Don't," she choked out, suddenly, finding her voice and cutting him off.
He frowned.
"Don't what?"
"Don't patronise me with the whole 'I think you're awesome' speech, Billie. You're married and we fucked up. That's all you have to say."
Billie Joe looked down.
"I'm sorry... I wasn't trying to patronise you. I'm being honest. I wouldn't have kissed you like that if I didn't like you a lot-"
"Well, that doesn't help me," she snapped, standing up.
"I don't wanna leave it like this, Mag... "
"Like what? I get it, you made a mistake, and we kissed, big fucking deal. There's nothing left to say."
Billie Joe put his head in his hands as she slid off the rock ledge and jumped down onto the sand.
"Why am I such an idiot?" he muttered into his fingers.

"Hey Tre," Lara smiled, as she sat down next to him that evening. He was curled on his side, his arms wrapped around him stomach. He groaned a little. Lara pushed him reddish-brown hair out of his eyes and sighed.
"How d'you feel?"
"Like I've been run over."
"Pretty bad then."
"No... actually, I've just been faking the whole thing to up my water quota."

Lara smiled and swatted his leg.
"Can I get you anything?"
"The cold shirt... My head feels like the depths of hell."
"No problem."

Returning a few moments later, Lara pressed the wet t-shirt against his forehead and he let out a sigh of relief.
"Thanks."
"You know... I think you're being really brave, Tre," Lara told him, "I'd have complained fifty times as much as you."
"That's what Elizabeth says," Tre sighed.
"... Elizabeth being... "
"The mermaid I keep seeing."
"Right," Lara smiled, "The mermaid. Still making her visits?"
"Yeah... when the fever comes back... I see her. I never looked forward to a fever before."
Lara grinned.
"Well, you feel pretty feverish now."
"Awesome."
She giggled.
"You make me laugh even when you're sick, Tre."
Tre smiled.
"So, Mike tells me and the mermaid aren't the only ones getting lucky around here."
Lara grinned.
"Yeah... Jason and I... It's awesome, Tre."
"He's a good guy."
"I know," she smiled, glancing over to where he was sitting next to Mike, both of them prodding the campfire with twigs in a way that gave off the false impression they had some idea what they were doing. "He's the best."

At the beach that night, the elation of the night before had well and truly worn off, and the mood was low again as they sat down to eat. Tre had spent the past hour attempting to throw up nothing, and Maggie and Billie Joe hadn't said a single word to one another since their awkward exchange on the rocks that morning.

Maggie took a seat next to Jack, watching as he twisted a skewer of fish over the campfire.
"I'll just have rice," she said making a face, "I can't face Nemo tonight."
"This isn't Nemo," Jack told her, "It was yellow. It's probably one of Nemo's little school friends."
Maggie smiled, shaking her head.
"That isn't swaying me Jack," she said, wryly.

Looking up, her eyes landed on Billie Joe, who was chatting to Mike and Jason on the other side of the campfire. He didn't look as anguished as she felt.

"Happy twenty-four hour anniversary," Jason whispered into Lara's ear, as they settled down to sleep on the sand that night.
Lara giggled.
"Can't say I've ever celebrated one of those before."
Jason grinned, kissing her.
"I wouldn't have thought anything could have made me feel better about being here," she sighed, resting her head in the crook of his neck as his arms wrapped around her.
"Me either," he whispered, kissing the top of her head, breathing her in as her eyes slid closed and her exhausted body welcomed sleep.

Maggie watched them, her head resting on her bent arm, wishing she had someone to hold her that way. She knew which someone she wished it could be. Her eyes flickered over to where Billie Joe was sitting, lit by the glow of the dying campfire, hugging his knees to his chest. He looked over at her, and their eyes met, before she rolled over to face the other direction, pulling her mosquito net tight around her and squeezing her eyes closed, so that a stray tear leaked from the corner. She was sleeping alone tonight.

Billie Joe let out a sigh, before rubbing a hand over his face and standing up, making his way over to Tre.
"You know?" he whispered.
Tre nodded, pursing his pale lips.
"Want some company?"
"Sure... " Tre replied, quietly, and Billie Joe smiled, lying down next to him and letting out a tired breath.
"You okay, Bill?" Tre whispered.
Billie Joe's eyes flicked up to meet Tre's.
"Maggie's ignoring me," he stated, gloomily.
"Ah, she'll come around," Tre replied, "Ignoring you is a woman's knee-jerk reaction to everything. It never actually lasts."
Billie Joe smiled a little, unconvinced.
"I want to go home," he whispered.
"Me too, Billie," Tre sighed, reaching out and touching Billie's dark mop of hair. His friends had been looking after him all week and he could tell when it was time to return the favour.
Billie Joe smiled, moving closer and wrapping an arm around Tre as he closed his eyes.
"Night Billie Joe," Tre murmured.