Care For Me Not, I'll Hurt You Too Much

Savior

Soft hands come down on your shoulder and sides. Even this light touch of whoever this man is caused you extreme pain as you groaned into the ground, breathing the dirt in through your nose. They pulled away quickly, but returned soon after in an attempt to turn you off your side and onto your back.

“Hey, are you alright?” A soft voice asks as they lightly grasp your shoulders while trying to turn you over while causing you as little pain as possible.

“They’re gone now. Don’t wor-“ He stops speaking suddenly and lets go as soon as you’re turned to face him.

“Holy shit! Kendall?” You knew that voice. You can’t remember right now, but through the pounding in your ears, you knew you knew that voice.

“Kendall are you alright?” He shakes your shoulders slightly and you wince lightly, automatically causing a sting to run through your face.

You feel soft hands on your shoulders and soon they’re resting on either side of your face. “Are you awake? Are you alright? Can you look at me?”

You try to move. You need to get up. The ground is too hard and you can feel whoever this person is kneeling beside you. The fact that they know who you are only means that they must have seen you somewhere, but also the fact that they’re touching your face sets you off edge. You can’t trust anyone who you would know, even if they just stopped those drunken buffoons from attacking.

Their hand slides lightly down your face, brushing off the dirt and pebbles incrusted in the side of your cheek. After brushing you face clean, you feel their hands leave your face and soon a cloth is applied to your chin, wiping up the blood covering it.

“Shit.” They breathe out as they run the cloth down your chin. Soon it disappears and you feel the hands once again on either side of your face.

“Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit.” This had to be a teenager with the string of profanities now rolling off their tongue.

“Are you awake?” They ask. “Please be awake.” They add more as a pleading afterthought to themselves.

“Are you okay? Can you look at me?” They try to maneuver your face and turn it. You can feel the small stones piercing into the back of your head as they try to gain some response from you. You neck screams out in protest as your hand quickly rushes up and grasps their right wrist.

They gasp out, but sigh quickly afterwards as you leave your hand on their wrist. You keep your eyes closed, but tighten them up to try and get your head to clear a little bit from all of the throbbing now running through you body.

“Thank God.” They breathe out lightly.

“Kendall are you okay? Can you look at me?” The voice becomes clearer and more familiar.

You nod your head lightly and hear them sigh again. You open your eyes, but your left eye has been sealed shut once again and your right is so blurry from the moisture building up inside them. You try in vain to see through, but even then you can’t tell who this person is. You only see a blurry silhouette through your eyes, kneeling down beside you.

“C’mon, we gotta get you out of here.” Their hands leave your face, but you don’t move. You barely acknowledge what’s happening. You simply close your eyes and lay there once more.

“Let me get you home.” They say softly.

Who could this be? They know who you are and they know where you live. What teenager do you know that knows where you live?

You feel them pull up your arm and throw it over their shoulders while their other arm slides underneath your back and wraps itself around your waist. You hiss through your teeth as the numbing goes away and you feel the sharp pains shooting through your arm, shoulder, back, stomach, head, and chest.

“Sorry, let me just get you up.” They say now, slightly out of breath as they struggle to get you up off the ground.

They heave you up and lean with you against the wall. You shut your eyes tighter as a loud ring runs its way through your head. The cool brick feels comforting as you rest your face against it, trying just to give up and lay down again.

Suddenly the brick doesn’t feel so comforting as you feel yourself sliding slowly down the wall, the slimy residue coming off the wall and leaving it’s dirty patches on your skin and in your hair. You’re jolted up and away from the wall, into the side of whoever this person was.

“Shit sorry, I’ve never had to carry someone all the way home before.” They say with a slight chuckle, trying to lighten the air around you. It quickly fades away as they clear their throat and begin to pull you along next to them, to what you believed was the mouth of the alleyway.

Your head rolls against their shoulder and something tickles your forehead. It must be their hair. Your feet drag and they stumble lightly, causing their grip around your waist to tighten. You groan in pain as more of it shoots throughout your body in too many places to count. You just wished for the numbing to come back so that way maybe you could concentrate a little more on who this person was and where they were taking you.

“Sorry…again.” They say, slightly winded as they continue to drag you along to the end of the alleyway.

You open your eyes slightly. You’re near the mouth of the alley, the light becomes brighter slowly as you can feel your feet beginning to walk and stumble along right beside them. You turn your head, attempting to look at whoever this person was.

Suddenly you come to the end of the alley and the bright street lamps nearly blind you, so you shut your eyes again and drop your head. The stinging of your eyes at the sudden intensity of the light causes your eyes to water slightly, making them blurrier. You couldn’t see where you were going, but you realized that the direction they turned toward was that of your home.

Do something to make the pain go away. You tell yourself.

Your body goes on autopilot at your own request. You brain shuts off and soars through the air. You hardly register the pain of your limbs or the soreness of your muscles as this person drags you along through the streets and down the several blocks to your home. Familiar settings pass in front of your eyes every time you open them for the few seconds you’re spared.

You feel slightly comforted right now, your better judgment now flying out the window. Your fears of being seen and the thoughts of a million eyes on you is now gone as your mind wanders the farthest reaches of space, only registering the fact that you were now getting closer and closer to home.