‹ Prequel: A Horrible Romance

A Unique and Torn Romance

Change

I kept staring out the window. I could feel Bob’s scowls burning in the back of my neck, but I just kept staring.
The sky was a mocking blue color – the sun shining so bright that it hurt my eyes. I felt my skin burn slightly and I suspected that I might have a bit of the vamp-genes in me. But no; vampires can loathe and I can’t.
The grass outside was green. The flowers were blooming and little brown spots in the green trees signaled that soon little, annoying chirps would be heard all over town.
I wished all color would drain from the world and leave it in black and grey. Or at least fade into darker colors. A dark blue wouldn’t hurt up on that fucking bright sky.

“Michael Way! Wake up!” I rolled my eyes and looked up at the blackboard where my eyes should’ve been.
I hate history.
“Did you hear the question?” I looked up at the teacher and was met by two, green orbs surrounded by a light layer of make-up. Her red hair was curling around her face.
“Do you even have your book with you?” My eyes widened. Not because I realized that my book was still in my locker, but…
It was Mrs. Williams’ class.
My mouth slowly fell open as I just stared into her green eyes. My breathing slowed down considerably – just like the world around me.
“Mikey?” she said softly. I didn’t see her lips move. I didn’t even see her lips.
Or her boobs.

“I-“ I blinked rapidly.
“I have to go.” I leaned down to get my backpack, then slowly slid out of my seat. I walked to the back of the classroom – slowly passing the last two rows of fellow students – and walked towards the door.
Mrs. Williams called my name – her voice slow and slurred. I stared at the door handle as it slowly got closer and closer to my hand.
Mrs. Williams yelled at me – telling me to get back to my seat – and stamped her high-heeled shoe into the floor. That click was followed by the click of the door opening.
I didn’t bother closing the door behind me before I turned and walked down the hall towards the entrance. A tardy student came running in the opposite direction.
Mrs. Williams yelled something. I couldn’t hear it.
Then the door fell shut behind me.

I kept walking until I reached the small pond in the park. It’s a fake pond. It’s too perfect to be real. It’s got a small bridge going across it. And that’s where I’m sitting now – my legs swinging over the side. There’s no railing. Anyone could fall in if they lost their balance.
It’s not a deep pond, though. It’d barely even cover your knees.
Well, maybe it’d cover Frank’s legs. But my brother already has that covered, I think…

I hear footsteps on the wood of the bridge and after hours of thinking I find the strength to look up at the only person, other than me, who’s walked on this bridge while I’ve been here.
Bob.

I close my eyes as I sigh in defeat.
I turn my head back to the pond and look down at the water.

“Go away,” I mutter – loud enough for him to hear.
Silence fills my ears – the only sound that occasionally enters being the sound of the water hitting the posts.
This is why I jump about three feet in the air when Bob suddenly throws his backpack onto the bridge and sits down next to me.
I scowl over at him. He’s not looking at me. He’s staring at his hands in his lap – his legs crossed. He brings his one hand up and looks at his fingernails.
Fucking girl.
I look off into the row of planted trees.

“I know what you’re going through,” Bob says softly – almost shyly.
My jaw drops in disbelief and I turn my head to face him. He looks serious, but I just know it’s an act.

“You know nothing, you fake jerk!” I wish I could loathe him. I really fucking do.
He growls – his teeth showing.

“I know everything, you little shit. You think you’re the only one in the world feeling like shit?”

“See; that’s it! I don’t! I don’t feel like shit, ‘cause I can’t feel like shit!” I’ve already said to much, but I can’t fucking stop! Bob needs to go down! Right here, right now and hard!
“You don’t know anything! My life is changing completely and there’s absolutely nothing I can do about it! My fucking family is fucking me up and I can’t do anything to stop it!” I’m screaming right into his face, yet all he does is just sit there – taking it. He just stares into my eyes and takes it – soaks up every word.

“Your family has nothing to do with you being gay.”
I’m about to yell a response, when I suddenly realize what he’s just said.

My mind stops. The world stops. Everything stops.
What?

“You are gay, right?” My eyes widen.
Oh, fuck! I hesitated! Now his posse of zombies are gonna come out of the bushes and beat the crap out of me and leave me to drown in the pond. Shit! Fuck! Crap!
“I knew it.” His voice is so proud and victorious that I can feel my every muscle clench – preparing itself for pain.

I wait for him to move – wait for him to signal his zombies to come out and play. I’m gonna be beaten shitless. I’m gonna have to crawl all the way home – through the forest and up the hill.

I keep my eyes on him – staring intensely. Any little movement could be a signal.
Oh no! Him sitting perfectly still could be a signal!

Suddenly his eyes widen and his jaw drops – mouth agape.

“Oh, I-“ Oh shit! Here it comes!
“I’m not gonna beat you up!” I frown. Huh?

“Huh?” Bob smirks shortly, glances down and then looks up at me – completely serious.

“I’m gay too,” he says quietly as he shrugs. He looks at me apologetically.
Then he quickly turns his head and looks around – worry in his eyes.
He’s fucking serious.

My furrowed eyebrows unthread themselves and my eyes widen in disbelief and…relief.
I cock an eyebrow.
Bob looks back into my eyes. His head jerks back suddenly – looking shocked – when he sees me.
I can’t believe he just told me. He’s gay too! Just like Gerard and Frank and-
Me.

Suddenly the look in his eyes turns vicious.

“If you tell anyone I’ll make sure your secret will be buried with you, you closet case,” he snarls quietly through his teeth.
I cock my eyebrow higher. He obviously doesn’t know that I’m a unicorn – that’s for sure.
He keeps his vicious stare.

Then, suddenly, I can’t help but let a smile slowly grow on my lips.
He’s like me. He’s in the exact same situation. He can understand.
Bob’s vicious stare falters and he starts looking at me like I’m some kind of lunatic.

“You wanna go back to my house?” Bob frowns deeply – so deep that his eyebrows almost reach the tip of his nose. At least it seems that way.
I grin lightly.
“You’re the only one I can talk to about this. And I seriously need to talk to someone.” I keep smiling. I probably do look like a fucking lunatic, but I don’t really care. I’ve found someone to talk to!

“Don’t you have your brother? Or Frank? They’re gayer than...” he shakes his head as he frowns at everything around him – obviously looking for a word to describe something really gay.

“Flamingos?” Bob’s head snaps up and looks at me – relieved and amused.
I grin.
“I know! They’re horrible!” Bob laughs – a genuine laugh. I join in.
I can’t believe it! I’ve actually found someone to talk to about this!
Frank and Gerard – if I’d ever be able to get in contact with any of them – would, no doubt, just tell me to come out of the closet and tell the world and ‘not be embarrassed or scared, and just be myself’. That’s what people always tell you to do, right? Well, that doesn’t always work!
Our laughter dies down and suddenly Bob gets up.

“Come on,” he says and nudges his head to the side.
“My car is parked by the school.” He grabs his backpack and starts walking away.
I shake my head in disbelief, before I grab my own and quickly get up and follow him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally, right? I'm too damn slow...
But yay! They're talking!
Next chapter: Clarification (some, at least)!