Status: IN PROGRESS

Disasterpiece

Chapter Twelve

Image

I closed my eyes as I got off the bus, keeping a firm look on the ground I walked hurriedly along the street until I turned the corner, breathing out as I stepped off Second Street and away from the place I didn’t want to think about. I walked more calmly down my own street, but stopped in surprise when I turned into my driveway.

Daniel’s car.

I had a dark feeling that Josie had not told him that she had made plans tonight and that it was going to be up to me to cover for her. I’m not a bad liar, I can lie easily enough and think quickly, but I just don’t like doing it; the world is better with any amount of honesty that can spared. I cringed and headed up wearily to the house, opening the front door I was greeted with the delicious smell of Daniel’s infamous spinach and ricotta cannelloni bake – yep she definitely hadn’t told him.

Chucking my bag onto the ghastly green couch, I walked apprehensively into the kitchen and smiled at Daniel. He waved happily at me, his hands covered in soapy dishwater; god this guy even did the dishes, Josie really had found a gem.

“Hey Daniel,” I said, trying to sound as bubbly as I could.

“Sup my little Vixen, surprising that you beat Josie home,” he said in wonder, I almost choked as I took a breath, here comes the lie.

“Oh didn’t she tell you? I got a message from her a few hours ago saying that she was going to do overtime or something at work because someone hadn’t showed up, I’m pretty sure she sent the message to both of us cause it had your name in it,” I replied quickly, I tried my best to keep a look of honest confusion on my face. Daniel’s features dropped slightly, he pulled both his hands out of the sink and wiped them on his pants.

“I don’t think I got the message, but my phone screws up sometimes so…ah well, what can you do right?” he shrugged, I wanted so bad just then to hug him, he looked so dejected.

“Well I’m sure she’ll feel bad about you coming over and make it up to you,” I replied, and if she didn’t I knew I was going to make her feel horrible.

“Oh it doesn’t matter really I have nothing better to do with my life than make sure my two favourite girls are actually getting some real food into them,” he laughed it off. “I’ll finish these dishes for you then I’ll head off, I’ll call Josie in the morning,” he added. I scoffed and walked forward, grabbing both his hands before they went back towards the sink.

“There is no way in hell you are finishing these dishes, we may be incapable cooks but I’m sure we can work out how to clean a few plates,” I commanded, Daniel laughed again and stepped back from me.

“If you insist then, I’ll see you later then I guess,” he said. I nodded, happy with his decision.

After Daniel left I finished off the dishes and put the cannelloni in the fridge for another time, our fridge was always full of half eaten dinners – I had a suspicious feeling that most of it got thrown out too. Grabbing my bag from the lounge room I made my way to my room and surfed through my bags contents for my cell, pulling it out I sent a message to Josie.

I want to slap you so bad right now. Daniel thinks you’re working overtime btw.

The next morning I was woken up by the sound of my message tone going off, yawning I stretched and pulled myself from the warm blanket depths. I found my phone on the bedside table where I had left it last night and picked it up, the message was from Corey.

So fucking hungry!

I snorted and rubbed my eyes, this was the first I had heard from him since Sunday night.

Go eat something then you fool?

Leaving my cell on the table again I got up and went to the bathroom to have a shower. When I came out I changed into some black jeans and one of my favourite purple tops with black lace trimming and white buttons. I went back to my cell and found a reply form Corey.

There’s no food here! We brought the booze, just forgot the food…

I furrowed my brow and typed a quick reply to him.

Go buy some then? And can I just say trust you guys to remember the alcohol.

I shoved my cell into my pocket and went out into the kitchen and put a pop tart into the toaster. Pouring myself a glass of milk I managed to skull it down just as the toaster popped. I was just beginning to nibble on the corner of the pop tart when I got another text, he really must be hungry.

We’re recording in the middle of nowhere, no food for ages around. And can I just say pfft.

I laughed and shook my head, walking over to the fridge I opened it and stared at the contents inside, besides what Daniel had cooked last night there were at least four other half meals squished into various shelves. I thought for a moment and texted Corey back.

Would you like me to bring you some food then?

After I pressed send I realised that if Corey was nowhere near food than he was probably nowhere near public transport either – which would put me in a predicament if he did want me to bring him something. I cursed under my breath and grabbed the remaining pop tart, walking down the hall I came to a stop outside Josie’s door and knocked, figuring that if Slipknot was recording then Sid should be there and Josie here.

“Fuck off,” Josie hissed from inside, I rolled my eyes at her typical morning antics and opened her door anyway. She was still dressed in the same clothes she was wearing last night, lying sprawled across the top of her bed sheets; pillow over her head. I leant against the door frame and folded my arms across my chest casually.

“Big night then?” I asked sarcastically, my reply was a raised middle finger. “Geez thanks, you know I could give you one of them myself after last night,” I replied. Josie groaned and took the pillow off her head, facing me I noticed that her eyes were blood shot; she looked like she hadn’t slept for a month.

“Thanks for that, I didn’t think about Daniel – I owe you one,” she said hoarsely.

“God what did you get up to last night?” I asked, shaking my head in disbelief with a smile.

“Urgh, enough to keep me on this bed for the next seventy-two hours,” she replied with a groan.

“Well don’t forget that it’s Wednesday and Uncle Frank won’t let you off just because you have a hangover,” I reminded her. Every Wednesday night Josie and I would go to Uncle Frank’s house for dinner, on the odd occasion Daniel came with us too, but usually it was just the three of us. See Uncle Frank had lost his wife about ten years ago now and he never had any children, so we were the closest family he had; it was a small tradition we had started up a few years back.

“Fuck,” she moaned, shoving the pillow back over her head. I chuckled as my phone went off again:

I would kiss your feet if you did, I don’t think we’re going to get out of here for ages!

I tapped my fingers on the cell a couple of times in contemplation as an idea began to form in my head. I grinned to myself and looked up at Josie who was on the verge of passing out again.

“Hey I know how you can repay me for the favour you owe me,” I said, Josie twisted her hand in the air for me to continue. “Well I need to use your car today, I will be back in time to pick you up tonight though,” I told her. Josie huffed and lifted the pillow from her head again.

“If I give you my car will you be out for the rest of the day and not bug me?” she asked, I laughed and nodded. “Then go for your life,” she said with a yawn. I thanked her and texted Corey back asking for an address, now to put my re-heating old food skills to work.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't think I'm entirely happy with the way this chapter turned out, but it had to be done.

Oh guess what? I won Joey's guitar pic from murderdolls off this ebay auction hehe ^.^