Status: IN PROGRESS

Disasterpiece

Chapter Sixteen

Image

I yawned, reality slowly faded into conciseness around me; I found myself lying on a bed under the thicket blanket I had ever seen. Rubbing my eyes, I kicked the blanket off; throwing my legs over the edge of the bed. How had I gotten here? Still trying to work that one out. I looked around the room; it was simply furnished with a large abstract painting hanging on the wall above the bed and purple drapes drawn across the window. I got up and made my way over to the door; opening it I stepped out into the hallway making my way to the staircase. Looking down onto the familiar bottom floor I remembered where I was; I must’ve fallen asleep and Corey had brought me upstairs.

Smiling, I quietly crept down the staircase and into the kitchen; the house was eerily quiet for one that contained a five year old and possibly the biggest loud mouth in the world. It led me to assume that they were obviously both fast asleep. I searched the kitchen cupboards for a glass and poured myself some water, what I really needed now was a toothbrush. I sat at the breakfast bar pondering over last nights events when a small head popped up in front of me.

“Hey Griffin, didn’t know you were up,” I greeted; putting down my glass I ruffled his hair playfully. He squirmed out of my reach with a squeal, poking his tongue out.

“I’m hungry,” he informed me. I grinned and raised my eyebrows playfully.

“Oh is that so? What would you like me to do about it?” I asked teasingly, Griffin crawled up onto the stool next to me and looked at me wide eyed.

“I want chocolate milk,” he demanded, I couldn’t help but laugh – he sounded so much like Corey; it was his way or the high way, no middle ground.

“Alright buddy let’s see what we can do,” I said, getting off the stool I walked over to the fridge, pulling the door open. Besides the fact that the fridge itself was double the size of mine, it was also filled to maximum capacity; a feat our fridge had yet to endure. I searched quickly through the contents; they had everything but chocolate milk. “Sorry Griff there’s none in here,” I apologised, closing the fridge I turned but to griffin who pouted. “But hey let’s get you some breakfast anyway,” I said quickly, I wasn’t sure how desperately he wanted chocolate milk and if it was a five year old thing to chuck a hissy fit.

I went over to the pantry this time; it was littered with colourful boxes adorned with cartoon characters and bright logos. I closed my eyes and put my hand out, bringing out a blue box labelled ‘pop tarts’. I turned back to Griffin and held the box up. “Pop tarts sound good to you?” I asked; he beamed and nodded.

“Chocolate flavoured for me,” he said; hey at least I knew his weakness now.

We pulled up outside Uncle Frank’s bar later that day; Griffin threw a toy from the back seat at Corey’s head as he turned off the car. Griffin burst into a fit of giggles as Corey growled but said no more; apparently it’s a bad idea to give a sugar fuelled meal to a five year old for breakfast. I now know.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to drop you home first to get changed?” Corey asked me again, I waved him off and undid my seatbelt.

“Its fine I have spare clothes and stuff here,” I replied. Corey shrugged hopelessly and leant over to kiss me goodbye on the cheek.

“I’ll call you later then, maybe we can go take him to the movie or something,” Corey said, nudging his head in the direction of his overexcited son who was currently fogging up the windows with his breath and drawing pictures in it.

“Ha-ha yeah sounds good,” I replied, opening my door I stuck my foot out and turned to the back. “See ya Griffin!” I added. Griffin turned away from his attempt at a puppy and waved eagerly.

“Bye Aunty V!” he replied loudly.

Walking down the alley and letting myself in through the staff entrance, I went over to my second locker and drew out my bag of emergency clothes Josie had once insisted I keep here; this was the first time they’d ever actually come in handy. I got changed quickly, tidied up my hair as best I could and went around to the bar where Uncle Frank was having a heated discussion with a regular about last night’s game. They both paused when they saw me, Uncle Frank drawing me into his traditional hug.

“You have a visitor by the way,” he added when I pulled back. My face wrinkled in confusion; Corey was the only one I would expect to pop up here now and he’d just dropped me off and Josie would call and abuse me if she turned up and I wasn’t here. Uncle Frank pointed over to the far corner; I followed his gaze and saw the back of a familiar person. My heart began to race nervously, whatever he wanted would not be good. I went over to the corner and cautiously sat myself down on the opposing chair; he looked up and grinned weakly at me.

“Can I get you another drink?” I offered lamely, he still had a full glass of beer in his hand. He shook his head and sighed, his features seemed to be straining against something; like he was fighting internally. “Are you ok?” I asked nervously, he sighed again and pushed the beer away; obviously he had only bought it to please Uncle Frank.

“I want to ask you something,” he said slowly, mentally calculating how to word each sentence; I nodded for him go on, breath caught in my throat. “Ok…I’ve been thinking a lot lately and I want your opinion on something,” he explained.

“Ok shoot…” I said apprehensively. He wrung his hands together nervously a few times and swallowed deeply.

“I’m going to ask Josie to marry me,” he blurted. I gaped, shocked; leaning back in my chair I felt like I had just been kicked in the guts. He watched me, fear in his eyes; waiting for my disapproval.

“Are you serious?” I managed to choke out, this was nearly more surprising than Corey coming back; I didn’t know how many more surprised my heart could take this weak to be honest. He bit his lip and nodded, setting his hands flat on the table surface so he couldn’t wring them anymore.

“I think, we’ve been going out for years now and I really like her and I think it’s time we took the next step,” he explained, tripping over his words now and then. I blinked a few times and smiled; leaning over the table I placed my hands over his reassuringly.

“Daniel I think it’s a great idea you two are perfect for each other,” I told him honestly, his eyes lit up brightly; the fear washed away and was replaced with hope.

“Really?” he asked excitedly.

“Yes really you dolt!” I laughed. We both stood up and hugged; I congratulated him a few more times and promised not to let anything on to Josie before he left. I took his mug of beer over to the bar and poured it down the sink. Uncle Frank came up behind me, poking me in the shoulder.

“You look like you just won the lotto,” he commented, I turned around to face him, wiggling my eyebrows.

“I haven’t won the lotto – but it looks like Josie’s love life is looking up,” I replied mischievously.

“Oh yeah? How’s yours going then?” he asked, adding a wink at the end. I blushed and turned back around to the sink; my non existent love life was going just fine. If you actually know the rock star and have a crush on them does it count as fan girlism? I wondered.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just planned out the next 10-12 chapers ^.^'

Now to write the bastard things -.-'