Status: Completed - Working on a Sequel.

Love Is a Losing Game

Chapter 10

Angie had not been herself since receiving the letter from David. She thought she'd heard the last of him when she and Stuart had left Denver. They had been so careful not to leave any clues to their destination behind them yet it had taken him less than four months to find out where she worked. If he'd been so quick finding that out then she knew he would easily find out where she lived that’s if he didn't know already. She knew David, knew what he was capable of, knew of the games he could play if he wanted to. She was certain that this letter wasn't the last she'd heard of him. She knew now that it was a waiting game. It could be days, weeks, or even months before she'd hear from him again. It was all part of his game, what made it exciting for him, knowing that she would be constantly looking over her shoulder waiting for him to make his move.

Part of her felt pathetic. For over a week she'd been escorted to and from work, either by Stuart, Matt, or more often than not Brian. But there was also a big part of her that felt a lot safer that way.

She sat at her kitchen counter quietly enjoying a mug of morning coffee reading one of Stuart’s real life magazines while she waited for Brian to escort her to work. Just as she was finding out about the world's smallest mom as there was knock at the door. Assuming it was Brian she placed her mug in the sink and grabbed her things off the top of the counter. Before she could reach the door her cell rang indicating a message being received, a look of confusion clouding her face when she saw it was from Brian.

"Sorry can't make it sending Matt explain later?"

With a silent shrug of her shoulders she took the remaining few steps to the front door opening it to see Matt standing there. "Did Brian tell you I was coming?" he asked with a smile.

"Yeah, any idea what’s up with him, he was very vague in his message."

"Not a clue, he just rang me ten minutes ago asking if I could give you a ride in to work." he replied as they climbed into his SUV. Angie just nodded falling silent as they drove through Huntington.

"Have you got anywhere to be or can you join me for a coffee?" Angie asked as they pulled up outside the bar.

"I've always got time for a coffee with a pretty lady." he replied turning off the engine and pulling the keys out of the ignition.

He followed her through the bar taking a seat on one of the stools as Angie made them each a coffee.

"Tired this morning Ange?" Matt asked as Angie yawned.

"Yeah, for the first time in a while my lovely next door neighbours were doing something other than arguing." she replied with a smile.

"What? That old retired couple?" Matt replied almost choking on his coffee.
Angie giggled, "No, Brian and Aimee."

Matt stared at her for a moment, "What time was this?" he asked confusion creeping across his face.

"Well I was in the bath until about nine and they had started then, I then went to bed at around half ten and they were still going, I couldn't stick the noise so I decided to put a film on to try and drown the noise out, so it must have been close to two by the time I realised it was quiet. Maybe that's why he couldn't make it this morning, too exhausted." she replied.

Matt shook his head slightly, "That can't be right, Brian got called into work last night, there was a problem over at X-it." he said finally. "Then he came to Johnny's and had a few, we didn't leave until almost two."

"So who was with Aimee?" she replied her eyebrows knitting together.

"Your guess is as good as mine, but I know for a fact it wasn't Brian. I just can't believe Aimee has been screwing someone else behind his back, he's going to be crushed." Matt replied.

"Maybe that's why he couldn't make it." she began with realisation "Maybe he's found out, but then I haven't heard raised voices or anything."

"Do we tell him what we know if he hasn't found out?” Matt asked.
Angie was silent for a moment, thinking about Matt's question, contemplating whether her answer had anything to do with her attraction to Brian.

"I don't think I can lie to him." she replied with a sigh. Matt nodded in reply and finished off his coffee.

"I'll leave you to it, what time do you finish later?" he asked as he stood up.

"Kats day off so I'm here 'til closing. Brian's meant to be working tonight but whether he'll turn up...?" she replied with a shrug of her shoulders.

"Well I'm working later anyway. See you later darling." he replied kissing her cheek before turning to leave.

As Angie ran through the plans for the evening with her evening staff Matt walked through the door carrying to take-out cups of coffee.

"Heard off Brian?" he asked as he passed her one of the cups.

"Just a short message to say that he would be in tonight and he'll explain." she replied as she walked back to the front door with him, where he would spend most of the night keeping an eye on who entered the bar.

"Are you still sure about telling him?" Matt asked.

"I've been thinking about that all day and I know that if it was me I'd appreciate being told. But I want you there as well if that's okay?" she replied. Matt nodded as he took a sip of his coffee. "Cheers Matt, I'll be floating around in there if you need Me." she replied, stretching up to kiss his cheek before heading back inside.

Just as planned Brian turned up for work an hour later. What Angie and Matt weren't expecting was his appearance. Instead of his usual smart, perfected look, Brian looked tired, his hair flat, his clothes casual, as if he was spending the night at home rather than if he was the boss of a security firm.

As he walked into the bar, Angie caught Matt’s eye, he nodded and whispered something into Johnny's ear before following Brian.

"I need to talk to you." Brian stated as Angie met him half way.

"You took the words out of my mouth. Office?" Angie replied with a faint smile as she turned to walk towards the office. She stepped through the door, holding it open for Brian and Matt.

"No offence dude, but why are you here?" Brian asked turning to face Matt.

"Angie wanted me here when she tells you what she needs to. If you don't want me here for what you have to say then I'll happily step outside."

"No it's ok; it’s something you'll find out soon enough anyway. So what have you got to tell me?" he replied.

Angie took a deep breath, glancing at Matt who gave her a reassuring nod. "Last night, Matt told me you were with him, but..."

"You heard them didn't you? Her and him. Yeah I found out about them, I found his tie, and he left some marks on her that I knew I hadn't given her. It's been going on for a while apparently. That’s why I couldn't make it this morning, I'm sorry Ange." Brian replied calmly, his face and voice void of its usual cheer.

"Don't worry about me, are you ok though?" Angie asked taking a small step towards him.

"To be honest I don't know, this morning I was angry and upset and I felt sick at the thought of them being in my bed. I just wanted her gone, the beds gone as well, and at least now I can kind if make sense of all those arguments we've been having lately." he replied with a half smile.

Angie smiled faintly at him before turning to Matt. "Can you and Johnny cope on your own tonight?"

"Yeah it's pretty quiet." he replied with a nod.

"Good, cos Brian and me are going to drown his sorrows." she replied with a smile, grabbing hold of Brian's hand and pulling him out of the office, Matt following with a chuckle.

As Matt headed back to the front to and to Johnny, Angie led Brian to the end of the bar, indicating for him to sit on one of the bar stools before walking half way down the length of the bar grabbing two glasses and a bottle of Jack Daniels off the back bar. She set the glasses down in front of Brian and poured them each a large shot.

"So she's gone huh?" Angie asked after taking a sip, watching as Brian gulped half of it straight down his throat. He nodded before quickly finishing his drink, reaching for the bottle to refill his glass.

"I couldn't stand the sight of her anymore, I needed her gone, she argued with me while I packed her stuff. She tried telling me it was my fault, tried accusing me of cheating with various girls from the bars, even tried to blame you, which is the biggest joke because she also admitted that she'd been fucking that guy for six months!" he explained, screwing the top back on the bottle.

"I'm sorry Bri." Angie whispered.

"It’s not your fault babe." he replied reaching over the bar and placing his hand on hers. "You have nothing to be sorry for."

The pair continued to share the bottle of Jack Daniels, sat at the end of the bar. Before they knew it, the bottle was near on empty and Matt's voice was booming through the bar asking everyone to drink up and start making their way home.

"Shit, I better go cash up." Angie sighed slopping off the stool and making her way around to the other side of the bar.

"Here, I'll help you." Brian replied as he joined her taking the till trays off her before walking towards the office.

"Cheers Bri." Angie said as she placed the tray shed been carrying onto the desk.

She turned ready to take the other tray from Brian, only to find Brian directly behind her, the tray sat on the cabinet behind him as his hands took hold of her hips, his lips quickly pressed against hers. Her first instinct was to kiss him back, her hands running up his toned torso and around his neck as she parted her lips to allow his tongue to massage her own. Happy with the positive response Brian ushered her the one step backwards, lifting her easily so that she was perched on the edge of the desk.

It was as she felt his hands slip under her shirt that the voices in Angie's head began to scream at her that she was about to do something incredibly stupid. Quickly her hands were back on his chest, pushing him backwards.

"Brian. Stop." she murmured. Slowly Brian pulled away from her. "What are you doing?"

“Fulfilling your fantasy.” He replied with a smirk as he leaned in to kiss her again. She closed her eyes as he sucked gently at the soft skin in the crook of her neck.

“Brian…please….” She whispered trying hard not to moan. “This isn’t right.”

“What? Were we up against the filing cabinet? In the chair?” he replied with a smirk.

Angie rolled her eyes, pushing him harder away from her, “No, Brian, that’s not what I meant.” She said sternly. “We shouldn’t be doing this, it was only a few hours ago that you kicked Aimee out of the house and you’ve been drinking.” She continued. Brian stepped back from her.

“Shit, Ange, you’re right. I’m sorry, I just…shit I don’t know.” He stuttered apologetically running his hand down his face.

“Hey, don’t worry about it, I just don’t want you to regret doing anything in the morning.” She replied quietly.

Brian turned his gaze back to Angie’s, taking a step closer to her, raising his hand to her cheek. “I wouldn’t have regretted anything.” He said softly before placing a soft kiss on her forehead. “I’ll let you finish up and wait for you upstairs” he added with a wink and a smile as he turned and walked out of the office, leaving Angie staring after him in disbelief as her heart pounded in her chest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Angie

Thanks as always for all the comments after the last chapter...more are always welcomed :)

Oh and for those of you who haven't seen it yet, I've posted another one shot it the Dirty Little Girl series.... Lots of Brian smut...who could resist ;)