‹ Prequel: A Messed-Up Heart
Sequel: Amazing Almost Twins

A Mistaken Identity

Seraphina Mackenzie and Summer Leann Jonas

It took me and Nick a few minutes for us to find his brothers and the girls. They were in one of the birthing rooms, each one holding onto the other’s hand. Betsy and Amanda had a grip on each other’s hand as well as Joe and Kevin respectively. Nick and I laughed at seeing that. Both were wincing from how tight the grip that Betsy and Amanda had on their hands. It was kind of funny seeing that. They were supposed to be such strong guys, and yet the one thing that was hurting them was their wives’ grip on their hands. “Wow,” I said quietly. “Look at your brothers; they’re in pain from Betsy and Amanda holding onto them. “I never thought that I was going to see that happen. I figured that they’d be okay.”

“Ouch,” Nick noted.

Seeing this was definitely rather funny; the boys were suffering here merely because their wives were busy giving birth to their daughters. I was laughing quietly at the anguish the boys were in based solely on the two pregnancies. This was definitely going to be interesting. “You know,” I said, “I think that the fact that both Amanda and Betsy going into labor at the same time really exacerbated the pain your brothers are in. There’s that situation as well as the fact that the girls’ contractions have been getting closer and closer together from the moment we stepped foot in the hospital a few hours ago.”

Nick nodded. “Agreed. And, I wonder how long this is going to take. Honestly, I’m really not sure as to how long my brothers can last or how much more they can take right now.”

“I know exactly what you mean,” I said, thinking of Karleigh and what happened to her nine months ago as I mentioned this to Nick. “There’s something that I desperately have to do, and that can only be accomplished once your nieces are brought into the world.”

“What do you mean?” Nick asked

“You’ll see,” I said.

While the birthing process was going on, I noticed that there was a faint singing filling the room. It was coming from one of the girls. And, based solely upon the voice, it was definitely Betsy doing the singing. I stood there with Nick wondering why Betsy would choose now of all times to sing, while she was busy giving birth to her newborn daughter.

Changes are all around us.

No one likes it.

They may seem odd.

And, people can be afraid of the unknown.

But, change can be a good thing

Helping to broaden perspectives

And, one thing must be remembered:

Things happen for a reason.

Things are happening.

It may seem strange

Having been thrust into the unknown,

And forced to live it.

But, change can be a good thing

Helping to broaden perspectives

And, one thing must be remembered:

Things happen for a reason.

The Unknown.

It’s a scary place.

Strange things may happen

And people may be afraid.

But, change can be a good thing

Helping to broaden perspectives

And, one thing must be remembered:

Things happen for a reason.

Change can be a good thing

Helping to broaden perspectives

And, one thing must be remembered:

Things happen for a reason.

All things happen for a reason.


The boys and I stood there in utter confusion at what Betsy just did. We were clueless as to why she was singing as she gave birth to her daughter. “What was that about?” Nick asked. “Why would you choose now of all times to sing? You were, after all, in the process of giving birth.”

Betsy shrugged. “It was a coping mechanism that Amanda and I were able to come up with. She and I wrote the song a few months ago, planning to use it as a way to distract ourselves from the pain we’d be in as we gave birth. And, if you noticed, our plan worked.”

Everyone looked over and found that both Betsy and Amanda had given birth to their daughters. Only the doctors had noticed though, with everyone else had been too distracted by the song Betsy was singing, and were now cleaning the Jonas daughters up and wrapping them each up in pink blankets before handing them to their mothers. I looked over at the doctors. “What time were these girls each born?” I inquired of them curiously.

“Noon exactly,” the doctor said.

“For both?” I asked.

The doctor nodded. “Yes, actually.”

“Wow,” Amanda said incredulously as she held her newborn daughter in her arms. “It seems as if our daughters really are twins. Well, almost twins, but still. Same day. Same time down to the second. The only difference is that they’re double cousins; they’re as related as half-siblings.” She laughed. “This is just too weird. Betsy, the girls were born on July 9th, our parents’ anniversary. Does that remind you of anyone we know?”

“Joe,” Betsy remembered.

“Right,” Amanda said.

“What will you be naming your daughters?” I asked Betsy and Amanda, remembering what they told me a few months ago. They told me that they would be naming their daughters after Karleigh. She died shortly before the Jonas-Weimar double wedding, and the only way that Karleigh would be remembered was through future generations: through the Jonas daughters because of what Karleigh had done for them over the years.

Amanda sighed. “Seraphina Mackenzie.”

Betsy shrugged. “Summer Leann.”

Everyone seemed to agree with the names that the Jonas sisters picked out, all except for Nick. He seemed to be confused by the names that were chosen. “Beth, Manda, why would you name your daughters in honor of Karleigh? Mackenzie is her middle name and Leann was the name she intended on using for her own daughter,” he said.

I sighed. “Nick, there’s something you need to know.”

“What is it, Karleigh?” he asked.

“Well, see that’s the thing, Nick,” I said quietly. “I’m not who you think I am.”I sighed heavily. “Nick, I really do wish that I didn’t have to tell you this, but I’m not Karleigh.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Seraphina and Summer are extremely important as they are the main characters in the next two stories within the "Am:Jetsy" pentalogy. Those stories are told concurrently, so I'll be releasing them within the next few days, after the final four chapters of this are released.

Comment and subscribe.