Losing Love

Heartbreaking

Four weeks after graduation and Mandy had everything packed to start at University. She loaded her car, grabbed her keys and tried her best to avoid her mother’s waterfall eyes.

“I am going to be back at the weekend, Mom. Stop crying, your mascara is running.” Mandy laughed, hugging her mother.

“I know it’s just hard to see my baby leave.” Ruth blubbered, trying to wipe away the tears. But more fell in their place.

“I’m only an hour away. I am not travelling to the other side of the earth. I’ll call you when I get there.” She promised, placing her caramel locks behind her ears. “I love you.”

“I love you too, sweetheart.” Ruth kissed Mandy gently on the forehead.

She turned to her father who was standing at the door, leaning against the door frame with his hands’ placed in his pockets. He usually didn’t show his emotions by crying but Mandy knew the look on his face. It was like he was doing math in his head. His forehead narrowed into deep wrinkles and his eyes’ squinted into tiny lines.

“Mind yourself, flower.” He hugged her tightly, keeping her there for a long moment.

“I will, Dad.” She smiled, looking up at him.

“You ready?” Matt asked, as he finished putting his things in his car. Mandy was going to travel behind him, so she wouldn’t get lost.

“Uh huh. I’m all set.” She nodded, feeling the butterflies float around in her stomach.

“Take care of her Matt.” James warned, as they made their way down the steps and towards the cars.

“What do you think I am, Dad?” Matt grunted in disbelief. “I am hardly going to let her wonder off to wild parties.” He rolled his eyes’. “I’m her big brother. She will be just fine.”

That was the thing. She would be too fine. Mandy knew he wouldn’t let her out of his sight without getting contact details from every person she spoke to. Especially, if they were male people. That wouldn’t go down too well with him.

“Come on, then.” He gestured for her to hurry up, he was getting impatient waiting around.

“Keep your knickers on.” She grunted, glaring at him. Big brothers were a pain sometimes.

“I will see you next weekend.” Mandy kissed both of her parents on the cheek.

“If you don’t want to be there just call us, we don’t mind.” Ruth cried.

“Mom, if you cry anymore you are going to dry out and you will be dehydrated. I will be just fine, I am a big girl. I can take care of myself.”

“You’ve just been through a lot.” Ruth bawled, rubbing the tissue against her aging skin.

“Stop worrying Mom!” Mandy smiled gently. She knew it was no use. Her mother was going to worry no matter what she said. Her mother had seen Mandy go through all the bad things but it was time for her to move on. Mandy was trying so she had to too.

For the fifth time, she hugged them again before jumping into her car. She smiled lovingly, watching how her mother lean close to her father as the endless tears streamed down her face. She was going to miss them as much as they missed her but as Garry told her yesterday; college was her chance at a new start. She needed it, to get over the hurt and the pain that had crippled her throughout the past year.

The hardest part of saying goodbye was saying goodbye to Sally and Ben. She never thought she would see the day where they would separate. But it was inevitable. Besides, they would always be close. They shared a bond and the same experiences and heartache would always keep them together.

At college, Mandy was going to be sharing an apartment with Garry. It was the best thing to do as they were already used to each other. She needed someone she knew, seeing as Matt was going on his work placement for the year.

Unlike some of his friends, he was not going abroad. He had gotten a job within the college campus doing business so he would still be around to keep an eye on her. She grunted loudly at the thought of having Matt watch her every move.

But there was no getting away from him and she was just going to have to deal with that. She knew that when she applied for Liberty University so it would be her own fault if he annoyed her.

Mandy sighed with relief when she saw the large campus coming into sight on her right about an hour later. She passed the large black gates and went straight on towards the student accommodation. The campus was beautiful and it was one of the reasons she was attracted to it. Well that and the amazing the history and archeology course that they offered there. The campus was full of green areas with many large gray stoned buildings.

As she drove through passed the campus, following Matt close behind. She put her window down and let the fresh air wake her up a little. She could smell the freshly cut grass and the buzz of people moving into their new homes. Hopefully, student life would be one that she enjoyed. She just hoped that teaching herself to suppress bad memories would get her through it.

Mandy smiled widely pulling into the parking space outside the building that held her new apartment. The one she would be sharing with Garry and two other people she had not met yet.

“You ready, sis?” Matt asked as she jumped out of his jeep and unloaded her luggage from her car.

“As ready as I will ever be.” She shrugged helping with her bags.

They took the elevator to the second floor where her apartment was. She scanned the door for number 32. When she got there the door was wide open. The sun from the double door filtering through the room. She knocked lightly and stepped inside.

To her surprise and delight, Garry was the first to greet her.

“Hey, you’re here.” He rushed to her side and hugged her close to him.

“Yeah I am.” She smiled up at his tall frame before walking into the bright room. The walls were cream throughout the apartment. A small leather brown couch and blue chair where leaned up against the wall at the far end of the room. She wasn’t so sure about the two different colours but then again it was student accommodation. A small coffee table stood between the TV and couch. The whole room was a living room, come dining room, come kitchen. But for so much stuff it was still spacious.

“You want to see our room?” He asked, taking a bag from her.

She was also sharing a room with Garry. But she didn’t mind that at all. They were both best friends and they knew each other better than anyone else. The other two roommates had their own rooms.

The room was small with two single beds separated in the centre. Two bedside lockers, occupied with lamps took their place beside the bed.

“Sad news for you my friend.” She patted him on the shoulder, putting on her sympathy eyes. “You can’t bring any girls back here. I will physically hurt you if you do. And you know I could.” She raised her eyebrows in warning.

“Yeah that popped into my head when I saw the room.” He looked disappointed.

“Tell her buy ear plugs, man.” Typical of Matt to interrupt with something like that.

“Don’t encourage him.” Mandy rolled her eyes taking her bags from his hands and placing them on her bed.

“Have you met any of the other roommates?” She questioned, hoping that he had and that they were somewhat normal.

“Yeah I met one. He has gone to the shop to pick up a few things.”

“He?” Matt emphasized, looking distraught that another male might be around her.

“Get over it Matt. I am used to being with men with an overload of testosterone, I am sure I will be able to handle him.

With that a knock pounding on the already open front door.

“Hello?” A high pitched voice exploded through the small apartment.

Matt poked his head out towards the door to see who it was and Mandy exploded into laughter with the terrified look on his face.

“Sorry man.” He shook his head, patting Garry’s back. It looks like that over load of testosterone has been equaled out.

Mandy pushed her way out through them and smiled warmly at the tall, thin figure making his way towards her. His spiky hair had blue tip and his skinny jeans were ripped at the knee. As he got closer she noticed that he had a smudged line of black eyeliner along his pale green eyes.

A gay punk. Definitely.

“Hello love.” He greeted her with a wide smile, his feminine features lifting as his mouth lifted, exposing his perfect teeth.

“Hi. Nice to meet you.” She held out her hand. “I’m Mandy.”

“Well gorgeous I’m Shane.” He winked. “I love those shoes.” He pointed at the royal blue flats she was wearing.

“Thank you.” She felt a bit overwhelmed by him but she would get used to that.

Then she almost choked when she saw his small eyes suddenly get bigger with the sight of Garry and Matt standing in front of him.

“Hello you.” It was like his body melted into mush as he looked at Matt.

Serves him right. He needs a fright like that.

“Hi.” Matt responded, his voice wavering.

“I’m only gay, I don’t bite.” Shane nodded and Mandy erupted into laughter.

“Oh I think I have fallen in love with you already.” She giggled.

“Thanks darling. I think you’re hot too.” He winked. “Well not in that was obviously but you get my drift.” He waved his hands.

“I better be off. I promised Suzie I would meet her at three.” Matt was doing his best to make a quick escape. He kissed Mandy goodbye, wished her good luck and she could have swore she saw skid marks as he left.

“Shane, this is Garry.” Mandy introduced them both. Garry seemed a little more relaxed. He had no other choice really, he had to live with this guy and he was going to have to get used to him.

“Nice to meet you Shane.” Garry extended his hand and Shane shook it firmly. Maybe a little too firmly. Mandy couldn’t help but notice the way Garry’s eyes filled with fear as Shane ran his eyes up and down his body.

“I think we should unpack, Mand.” Garry suggested, swallowing hard as the colour drained from his usual tanned face.

“Ok.” She agreed, sensing his discomfort.

“I’ll talk to you later Shane.” Mandy told him.

“Look forward to it honey.” He winked before leaving to explore the rest of the apartment.

“You look like you are going to need the toilet.”

Garry just glared at her. “You think?” He hissed.

“Shut up you baba. You will have no other choice but to get used to him. You would never know maybe the other guy might take a fondness to him.”

“I don’t think so.” Garry nodded frantically. “The other guys name is Craig by the way and he is the definition of jock. Seriously, that Shane dude will be barking up the wrong tree with him.”

“Well I like him.” Mandy opened her bags and began setting her clothes in the drawers.

“Sorry Mand, but he is even more feminine than you.”

She faked a shocked face and pouted. “That hurt, dude, that hurt.” She placed her hand over her heart and pretended to wipe a tear from her eye.

“Hey it’s not my fault you never grew out of your tomboy ways.” He defended himself.

“I am a complete and utter lady, excuse yourself.”

“Pull the other one.” He snorted, throwing himself down on the bed.

Mandy stood there and took a deep breath before turning to look at him. “Will he get through this?” She asked, sounding serious as she sat at the edge of his bed.

“Get through what?”

“This. Moving in together so fast. It all seems so sudden.” She looked at him, her eyes playing the dramatic role.

“Of course we can.” He sat up, and held her face in his hands. “We are strong enough. We can get through this and we won’t leave those people with blue spiky hair get in the way.”

“Promise?” She tried her best to hide the smirk.

“Promise. And then we will ride off into the sunset. Together forever. Me and you. You and I. Bonnie and Clyde, Sonny and....”

“Ok, I get your drift.” She laughed.

“Imagine it.” He waved his hand out in front of them and they both exhaled dramatically.

“Oh how sad we are my dear insane friend.” She nodded, lying down next to him on the bed.

“Our poor roommates.” He breathed.

“I know.” She agreed. “They have to put up with us. They will soon grow to love us though.”

“Poor things. Imagine how they will feel when we both leave to ride off into the sunset.”

“Heartbreaking.” They both turned their head to look at each other.

“Heartbreaking.” They repeated together and accelerated into laughter.