Remind Me That We'll Always Have Each Other

Honey, Honey Take My Heart Like Money & Run;

“So, how was tour, John?” Tim asked, as he scooped a spoonful of buttery mashed potatoes onto his plate.

“It was amazing, Mr. Montgomery. Thanks for asking,” John replied, taking the bowl of mashed potatoes from him.

I smiled, noticing John was being very respectful. He passed the bowl to me, and I took a healthy spoonful of the food. “They even sold out shows, Tim.”

His eyes widened as he looked at John. “Really? I had no idea the band was getting so big.”

John chuckled and he looked down at his food. “Yeah, it’s really crazy. It seems like just yesterday I joined the group, and now we’re touring, making records …” John shook his head in disbelief.

My mom took a piece of grilled chicken, before passing the plate to Jeremiah. “I’m happy for you and your friends, John; it seems like you boys are really going somewhere.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Montgomery.”

Jeremiah poked my arm and rolled his eyes, whilst mocking John. My mom slapped his shoulder and shook her head. “You could use some manners yourself, Jeremiah.”

John, Tim, and I laughed. Mia looked up from her plate, a confused look on her face. I gave her a smile. “Mia, I never gave you your gift.”

Her eyes lit up. “Can I have it now!?”

My mom looked at her. “Mia, we’re eating dinner right now, sweetie.”

I shook my head. “It’s just up in my room. I’ll be right back.” I pushed my chair out and hurriedly walked to the stairs, running up to my room. I reached into the top drawer of my dresser, pulling out a medium-sized, gift wrapped box. I ran back down to the dining room, and handed the box to Mia. “It was made especially for you.”

John looked at me, a wide smile decorating his face, before turning to Mia, who was frantically trying to rip open the box.

“What’d you get her?” Jeremiah whispered.

I pointed my finger to Mia. “Look.”

He sighed, but looked at Mia anyway. Ripping one last chunk of the paper off, she pulled the lid off and smiled brightly. “It’s so … pretty!” she gushed and pulled out the tiny black shirt, which was decorated in neon pinks, blues, and greens; The Maine written on the front.

“What do you say, Mia?” Tim reminded her.

She smiled and got out of her chair, running to John and giving him a hug. “Thank you, Johnny.”

He laughed. “You’re welcome, Mia. No one else in the world has that shirt; it’s special.” He winked at her.

As if it were possible, her smile widened. “In the whole wide world!?”

He nodded his head. “In the whole wide world.”

She squealed and ran over to me, giving me a hug as well. “Thank you, Kay Kay. I love you!”

I laughed and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “You’re welcome, kiddo. I love you, too.”

She ran back to her seat, and set the shirt back in the box. She placed the lid on it, and placed it on the empty chair beside her, taking glances at it every now and then, as if someone might steal it. I had to admit, I was elated that she liked the shirt so much.

After dinner, John and I went to my room. I shut the door, knowing that my parents wouldn’t mind, and turned around, smiling. “Thank you for acting so … proper?”

He laughed and shrugged. “You’re welcome, I guess.” He sat down on my bed, patting the spot beside him. “Come here.” I walked over to my bed, taking a seat beside him. He slung his right arm over my shoulder, and pulled me into him. I nuzzled my face into his tee shirt, inhaling his scent. “Kaydence, I love you.”

I smiled and I knew he felt it, because he laughed. “I love you, too, John.”

His thumb rubbed circles on my arm. “I was really worried when you left, you know …”

“Why?” I mumbled into his shirt.

“Because I didn’t know if you were going to keep your promise or not.”

“But I did.”

“I know, and I’m so proud of you for doing it,” he told me.

I wrapped my arms around his waist, bringing us closer. “That’s the second time you’ve told me that.”

“Told you what?” he asked.

“That you’re proud of me.”

“Well, it’s because I am.”

I looked up at him, staring into his beautiful orbs. “You don’t know how much that means to me.” I could feel tears pricking my eyes. “Really, John, I know it seems like a small thing to say, but I’ve always felt like a letdown – to my parents, to Jeremiah and Mia. But, hearing you say those words turns everything around for me.”

He smiled genuinely and pressed his thumbs to my eyes, wiping the tears away. “You need to be proud of yourself, baby.”

I sniffled. “I’m trying to be.”

He pressed his lips to mines for a moment, before pulling away and positioning himself in the center of my bed, lying down. He pulled me over to him, and I snuggled into his chest, our bodies melting into each other. “You know, I didn’t realize how much I missed lying in a real bed, until right now.”

I laughed. “That’s because you’re with me.” I laid a kiss on his collarbone.

“You’re probably right,” he said.

I smiled as he wrapped his arms tighter around me, pulling our bodies even closer together. “John,” I whispered.

“Hmm?” he hummed, softly.

“Will you do me a favor?”

“What’s that, love?”

“Sing me to sleep.”

He chuckled, his body vibrating against mine. “What song?”

“Any song.”

“Any song?” he asked.

I nodded my head. “Yes.”

“Are you going to fall asleep?”

“If you sing good enough.”

He laughed softly, before placing a kiss on the top of my head. Both his arms were wrapped around me, and I could hear his heartbeat near my left ear, fluttering; it made me smile. “We’ll do it all, everything, on our own. We don’t need, anything, or anyone. If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me, and just forget the world? I don’t quite know, how to say, how I feel. Those three words, are said too much; they’re not enough. If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lie with me, and just forget the world? Forget what we’re told. Before we get too old, show me a garden that’s bursting into life. Let’s waste time, chasing cars, around our heads. I need your grace, to remind me to find my own …”

My eyelids were growing heavier and heavier with each line John sang, and I could feel myself drifting off to sleep, although I was still aware of what John was saying. I heard him stop singing, probably assuming I was asleep, and he placed his hand on my face, rubbing his thumb over my cheek.

“I love you,” he said. I fought the urge to tell him the same, because there was an underlying tone in his voice. I felt his lips over my ear, brushing against my skin. “Marry me, Kaydence?” he whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
The song John sings is 'Chasing Cars' by Snow Patrol. It's really quite beautiful. <3
Also, because I suck, I don't remember if I gave Kaydence a last name, so I made one up.
I'll go back and look later. For now, it's Montgomery.

So ... did any of you expect that? What do you think she's going to say, hmm? (:
I love you all! (: