Backstage

Chapter 7

“YOU WERE DATING SOMEONE! AND YOU WERE GOING OUT WITH ME?! HAVE YOU ALWAYS BEEN THIS STUPID!?” Sami screamed into the phone. Billie’s eyes were wide. He hadn’t thought it was going to be this bad. He tried to speak but Sami cut him off. “I don’t know what you were thinking Billie Joe Armstrong. Why didn’t you just tell me this, we didn’t HAVE to go out! We could have just been FRIENDS!” Her voice had calmed down and she wasn’t screaming at him anymore so Billie took his chance.

“But I want to stay friends! Please, you are so nice and I know that we can work past this. Please, I still want to talk to you! Adrienne has been on vacation for the last month and I haven’t been able to talk to her and you always made me laugh when you called me. Please, could we at least stay friends?” Billie pleaded. He was pacing the room now, waiting for Sami to answer.

“I don’t know,” Sami said firmly. Billie sat on the edge of the bed and began to tap his feet. God, he thought, this is the worst thing in the world. I hate this! I hope everything works out with Adrienne, because I’m never doing this again.
There were a few moments of silence as Sami and Billie sorted everything out. Finally, Sami spoke.

“You want to stay friends?” she asked quietly.

“Yes, someone else that I can talk to now and then. I mean Tre and Mike are awesome but they can get kind of boring after a while,” Billie said. Sami gave a small laugh. Billie smiled. She laughed. Does that mean that we can still be friends? He thought.

“So…” Billie said hopefully. Sami sighed.

“Sorry I yelled at you,” she said quietly. Billie smiled.

“You had every right to. I’m a complete jerk,” he said trying to get another giggle out of her. It did. Sami gave another quiet laugh.

“Alright,” she said quietly.

“You can still call me when you’re completely and utterly bored out of your mind and only when you are completely and utterly bored out of your mind,” Sami said. Billie laughed.

“You’re gonna hear from me a lot then.” Sami laughed again. 'So everything’s ok,' Billie thought. 'I can call her whenever and I can still go out with Adrienne.'

They talked for another few minutes. Sami’s temper going down with every second. They laughed together and were both in high spirits when they hung up the phone.

Little did they know that they went through all of that pleading for nothing. The calls started becoming less and less frequent. Once a week turned into once every two weeks. Two weeks turned into once every month. Months turned into one call from Billie during 1994 until there was no more contact between either of them. They never heard form each other again.

At least until 2006…