Love Like Summer

Mama

”So, do you like this Frankie-Boy?” Gerard choked on his soda at his younger brother’s question. He had just finished explaining everything that had happened, from the mugging to the morning after. Mikey smiled at his brother’s reaction, giggling.

“Mikes, why would you ask that? You know I’m straight.” Gerard replied. Mikey blinked at him, expecting him to go on or to confess. “I don’t like Frank like that.” Mikey laughed again.

“I believe you, Gee.” Mikey replied, sipping his own drink. “So, are you ever gonna bring him here?”

“Possibly,” Gerard started, “I really don’t like that he’s home alone now, actually…” He trailed off., memories of his mother flooding back into his mind. Mikey never knew - -she liked Mikey better, of course. Mikey was the golden boy – and Gerard was the fuck-up. Thinking of Frank being plagued with memories of such events similar to last night the way Gerard had been made him nervous. “Oh, have you talked to Mom?”

“Not since…Mother’s Day? She said Don got hurt on the job and can’t work – I sent them some money, if that’s okay.” Mikey replied, referring to his mother’s boyfriend.

Gerard was scared shitless – that meant she has their address. You’re never to old to be a whore…and she was broke, now. “I-it’s alright, I don’t care. If it’s alright, I’m gonna check on Frank, okay?” At this, Mikey giggled, nodding. Gerard rolled his eyes with a smile, grabbing his keys and heading out the door.

Walking to his car, he heard a dreadfully familiar voice – “Hey, hot stuff. What’s the hurry?”

Gerard cringed, fearing the person behind him. “What do you want?” He called maliciously, refusing to turn around.

“Just dropped by to say hello.” She replied. Donna stood facing him from the opposite side of the car, a cocky grin plastered on her face. “What? I can’t say hello to my favorite son?”

“Mikey’s inside.” Gerard replied grimly, getting into his car. Donna got in as well, even strapping on her seatbelt. “What are you doing!? Get out!” Gerard commanded.

“I think not, sonny-boy.” She replied wickedly. “I have a tiny job for you – and don’t think you’re to old to get beaten again.”

Her rather sharp nails dug into his wrist, the feeling oddly familiar. The beating – punched in the stomach, thrown across the room, pulled by the hair, kicked countless times – had been enough to make Gerard a momma’s boy. That was the day he had turned seventeen – and vowed that by the next year he and Mikey would be out of there. Since he and Mikey had moved out, his fear grew, knowing she grew more infuriated as the days went by. And the same nails that signalized another night of agonizing pain were digging sharply into his wrist, like an eagle had landed on him. “Mom, p-please don’t make me, I-I’m an adult now…please!” Gerard pleaded.

“Don’t worry, Gerard.” She cooed mockingly. “This one’s your age. Turn left down the road.” God, that poor boy.Gerard thought as he sighed roughly, starting the car.

His mother was back in control oh his life.

Splendid.