Love Like Summer

Collision Course

The sun’s just setting and I’ve already made about twice as much as yesterday – I’m on a fuckin’ roll!” Frank grinned manically at his thought. He prayed to God Gerard hadn’t gone to his house while he was out while he, basically, had his brains fucked out. He giggled loudly to himself at that, sort of enjoying the way it sounded.

Frank’s phone vibrated in his pocket, causing him to jump before he picked it up. “Hello?”

“Frank?” He blinked, mouth opening slightly. Beatrice? He thought, the voice reminding him so much of the ones in his head.

“Um, yea, that’s me…uh, who’s this?”

“A friend.” Her lips curled – or, they did in Frank’s mind, from her tone – into a sinister grin. “Don’t how I got your number, you fag, just get to where I tell you in ten minutes and have $100 bucks ready. I’ve got a boy who needs to get fucked, and I don’t have the money to pay you, okay?”

Frank blinked again. “Yea, whatever.” He got out a pen and wrote down the address, not honestly paying attention to her. Her tone was so quick, so negative; he wouldn’t be surprise if it had been Beatrice, brought to life. He was told the boy was younger, so he decided not to stand her up. Besides, Frank had nothing better to do.

The walk wasn’t long, so he didn’t mind, but skipped redoing his hair and make-up, figuring the other boy wouldn’t care. Frank walked slowly, taking his time and thinking. What if Gerard found out about his whoring? He won’t care. Martin barked. Beatrice cackled in agreement.

Oh, but he isn’t jealous either. She reminded him. Frank sighed loudly, entering the building She had told him to meet her at.

“You’re late.” The woman greeted coldly.

“By, half a minute? Look, why don’t you just take the money, and I go on m-“

“Not a chance in hell, Faggot Boy. C’mon, you’re a cutie; go make him happy, ‘kay?” The woman interrupted, shoving Frank into a dimly-lit room.

The only light in the room came from the setting son, allowing nothing but a silhouette of the boy to be seen. He was already lying down on the bed in the corner of the room, staring straight at the ceiling. Frank walked in slowly. “Hi…look, I don’t wanna-“

“Shut up.” The other said sharply. “No matter your age, you’re all the same, so don’t even start and try to be my friend.” He sat up in aggravation, fighting to get his pants off and tears out of his eyes.

“Obviously you don’t want this, and neither do I. I don’t even know why you’re here…just…why don’t you turn the light on, and we can talk. You’re still getting paid – why not get paid for something you want to do?”

“I don’t want to talk.” The other said shortly. Frank sighed.

“Just turn on the goddamn light.” Frank growled. The other nodded and reluctantly turned on a lamp.

Both their eyes widened when the boy turned back around. “Frank!” Gerard cried. He looked worn and had added cuts and bruises to his boy, and now his face. Frank’s eyes narrowed.

“You fuckin’ hypocrite.” Frank hissed. Gerard’s mouth opened slightly as he glared back.

“You think I-? That I’d put myself through this?! I-“

“Shut up!” Frank screamed, his fist clenched so tightly his knuckles turned white. “I don’t want to hear an excuse! I bet every word you’ve said to me has been a lie – I bet you don’t even have a brother!” He turned then, violently towards the door, flinging it open, the other at his heels.

“If you won’t let me even fucking explain, don’t assume that I’m a liar or a hypocrite, you don’t know the first thing about me! And like you haven’t lied, you’ve probably been going around all day, selling yourself-“

“Look.” Frank said, stopping to face him so abruptly they nearly collided. “I saved your ass, and you saved mine. Why don’t we just part ways here, okay?” He suggested, slamming the door behind him, and walking home.

A cackle behind him brought Gerard out of his thought. He turned to face his mother sharply, causing her to laugh harder, the dreaded noise echoing. “Oh, Lord, if I knew you were friends with the Faggot Boy – I would have done this sooner!” She cried. Gerard glared, hating his mother more at that moment then he had his entire life. Gerard shook his head, returning to the room, slamming the door behind him.

“You stupid prick!” Frank scorned himself once he got home, pulling at his hair and trying not to cry. “Oh, you stupid son of a fuckin’ bitch, you should have listened!” He slide down, his back against the bathroom door. Frank pulled his knees to his chest, closing his eyes and trying to bury his face in his knees. Everything that Beatrice or Martin would have said, he was telling himself out loud now. “You so fuckin’ stupid, Frank, ya know that? Good thing you didn’t listen to him…you’re so fuckin’ naïve, you stupid fag.” Frank bit his lip, thinking of everything he could have done to prevent this heartache. Yes, heartache. He thought. You loved him – and he didn’t give a shit about you.