True to Your Heart

You can count on me

Image

I frowned whenever Jacob filled my mind. I was anxious and there was something in me that literally could not wait to see Jacob and some parts in me felt crushed, as how Jacob was no where near me. I sighed and tilted my head to the side, something I do when I am puzzled and confused as what happened this morning entered my mind.

Whatever I tried to do, I just could not discard the feeling of disappointment in me. He left me just like that, without a word. Just a mere pat on the head. He did not know what he was doing to me, when he left me hanging like that. I sighed once more and tried to concentrate on what Mrs. Perry, our new biology teacher was talking about.

“Miss Speltzer, what is the answer to this question?” She slammed her hand on my table and I let out a squeak as I fell off of my chair. The class bursted out in fits of laughters, chuckles and giggles. I looked to my side and see Bella trying to contain her laughter and Edward, who was sitting beside her, chuckling. Mrs. Perry had her hands on her hips and she tapped her foot, looking down at me with a look that I could really read.

“All beings of the phylum Chordata have branchial clefts in the pharynx and in some species, it is present only in the embryo and notochord is substituted by the spinal column in vertebrates and dorsal neural tube,” I sputtered out, as I stood up and straightened my clothes. I felt all the laughter died down and Mrs. Perry was looking at me with an amused look on her face.

“Very good, next time, please pay attention, you are just lucky,” She stated before turning around and walking back to the front and started writing down the rest of the questions. I sat down on my chair and frowned. I stared blankly at the questions on the board as my thoughts and my attention drifted away.

Edward’s POV

“Bella, there is something I want to tell you,” I said, under my breath and I was sure Bella had heard me for she turned her head to look at me inquiringly. I gave her a nod towards Vanessa and she followed my gaze and stared at Vanessa for a while before mouthing, “what?”

“There is something about her, something that she is keeping from us, I can not read her mind,” I spoke very low so that nobody could hear us. I know this was probably not the right time to discuss about Vanessa, when she was just sitting a few seats away from the both of us. Bella frowned before looking back at Vanessa who seemed way off since she answered Mrs.Perry’s question. I, myself was quite surprised at the question Mrs. Perry had thrown to Vanessa, we have not even got to that chapter yet and she answered it with ease. I know Mrs Perry was rather impressed with Vanessa answering the question in full confidence, even though she had just fell down from her chair.

“I will talk to you about this later, I need to talk to Alice about this first,” I told her once the bell rang. She nodded her head as she still had her gaze fixated on Vanessa. I kissed the top of her forehead before turning around, trying to find my psychic sister.

Vanessa’s POV

“Nessa?” Bella’s voice snapped me out of the trance-like-state I was in and I turned to look at her, a dumbfounded look visible on my face. “Class is over and we need to get going, we have gym right now,” She said with annoyance dripping from her words. I smiled at that and nodded my head. I understood fully why she hated gym. She was clumsy and had two left feet. I actually did not believe what she said but all of that changed when she hit this Mike Newton guy at where the sun don’t shine and it looked like he was seriously hurt but on the bright side, it was a funny sight to see.

“Sure, come on then,” I told her and shoved my notebook in my bag before picking it up and walking with Bella to our lockers, which was coincidentally next to each other. How I never noticed this before? I have no idea. I am pretty oblivious to my surrounding at times. As I was putting my books inside my locker, something popped into my mind.

“Bella, do you know where I can get a job?” I asked her and she stopped putting her books in her locker and turned to look at me.

“Do you need one? I know you can not get one here but maybe there are some jobs available in La Push,” She stated and my heart tingled when she said La Push and I did not even know why.

“And where is La Push?” I asked her and she chuckled before closing the locker. I did the same and we walked slowly towards the gym.

“Well, it is not that far from here, Jake lives there,” And with that my heart soared up and I could feel the empty space in my heart, widen and I nearly frowned at the sudden change. “He could probably help you out with trying to find a job,” She exclaimed and I grin at her happiness.

“So where is Jacob? I have not seen him around,” I told her, trying not to make it obvious that I had been trying to find Jacob around this school but I could never see him around. Bella looked at me, like she knew what I was thinking but then shook her head.

“Jake does not go here, he goes to school in the Reservation,” She stated and before I could further ask her any questions about Jacob, she was pulled in by Jessica and I smiled at her before following them inside.

---

“Bella, is it me or are the guys here very tall?” I asked, as I walked closer behind Bella, who just chuckled. She shook her head and patted my arm before pointing to a shop.

“Well, the guys here have major growth spurt in their genes,” She said, trying to sound convincing. Now, I definitely know something fishy is going on around here. “And do not worry, all of these are Jake’s family,” She stated and hearing Jacob’s name sent shivers down my spine and I nodded my head, trying to ignore the gazes that were directed to me.

“You are in luck, dear,” The old man said and I smiled before thanking Bella. If it was not for her knowing the old man, I certainly would not get the job. Bella and the old man wenttalking whispering about something and I decided to check out the shop. It was not that big, yet it was big, in a way. The shop had this sweet, musky and wet smell to it and it definitely calmed my nerves down and there were a lot of things as well. I was amazed as to how a shop, as this one, can store all those things.

“Nessa,” My heart jumped when I heard that familiar voice and I turned around, only to come face to face with hismuscular chest. My eyes widen and I blushed before stepping back.

“Jake,” I smiled once I looked up at him. Now that I have noticed, nearly everyone in La Push is as tall as Jacob, and taller than him even. “What are you doing here?” I asked him when he threw his hand on my shoulder.

“Well, this shop belongs to my dad, the guy talking to Bella over there,” He pointed to the old man from before and as if knowing that we were talking about him, the old man turned around and gave a look to Jacob before smiling at me and turning back to talk to Bella.

“What about you? Why are you here?” He asked and I pursed my lips for a while before smiling.

“I believe, I will be working here,” I told him and as he was about to ask me something, Bella came over.

“Hey Jake, oh Nessa, Edward just called me and he wants to talk to me about something,” She said and I frowned, the thought of having to part with Jacob was unbearable.

“Jake here can take you home,” Bella looked over to Jacob and I looked at him. He looked at Bella before smiling and nodding his head, eagerly. “Sorry, Nessa, I will call you later,” She gave Jacob and I a hug before kissing the old man’s cheek and walking away.

“My name is Billy, Billy black,” Billy said as he handed his hand out, I smiled and shook his head. As soon as I touched his hand, I immediately pulled back because of the spark. My eyes widen and I looked at him, he seemed unfazed and still had that smile on his face. “It is nice having someone to look after this shop,” He stated and I merely nodded my head, somewhat still craddling my hand. That was something that is seriously weird.

Bella’s POV

“What is it?” I asked Edward, once I came out of the car. He was standing next to his shiny volvo with Alice.

“It seems that Vanessa is more than we think she is,” Edward stated as he pulled me towards him and Alice.

“What do you mean?” My brows furrowed and Alice smiled before skipping to the door.

“Whatever she is, she will become my best friend,” Alice chirped and danced back into the Cullen’s huge mansion like house. I looked at Edward, confusion written on my face.

“What does she mean by that?” I asked him and he just shook his head. As we went inside, I remembered something that I was talking to Billy about.

Vanessa’s POV

“I have found a job already,” I told my mother. It was a rare sight to see. She was alone in the house, Dean was nowhere to be found. I should know, I checked. She looked up from the photo album she was holding and wiped away her tears.

“Why are you crying?” I asked her, even though I did not really want to talk to her, she was and still is my mother. She just sobbed and shook her head before looking at the photo album once again. I sighed and walked over to her, sitting at the chair next to her. I looked over her shoulder and my frown deepened. She was looking at my father’s pictures and it was very heart-breaking.

“You do know, I never meant for this to happen,” She mumbled and I nearly had to strain to hear what she was saying. I tilted my head to the side, waiting for her to continue what she was saying. “I really am sorry for making you hate me, Nessa dear, but I never meant for this to happen,” She repeated and I frowned.

“What are you talking about?” I asked her and she sighed.

Falling in love with Dean,” She mumbled oh-so-loudly and I sighed before shaking my head. I still do not follow what she was saying and all I could do was took a deep breath and let it go.

“It is in me, I cannot control that part of me,” She stated and I looked at her.

“What are you talking about, mother? Stop talking in riddles, I do not get you,” I told her. I knew she was hiding something from me, that is for sure. As if suddenly realizing what was happening, she shook her head, wiped her tears and closed the photo album.

“I will tell you, some other day, not today though,” She said, kissed my cheek and walked out from the kitchen. My hand automatically went to my cheek, that was very rare for her to do and I have this feeling that whatever it is that she has been hiding from me, it is bound to change my life forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
I updated! Yes, in fact I did! I am happy now that I see more people subscribing! Thank you for reading this story! I am not exaggerating when I say, people commenting, reading and subscribing to my story makes me feel extremely happy!

Hopefully this chapter was enjoyable. I am excited to know what the secret her mother has been keeping from Nessa, I mean. It's getting me curious! And seriously, I just can't wait.