‹ Prequel: Coffeshop Soundtrack
Status: Rewrote last chapter, please read. No epilogue. Love you guys<3

Hardly Worth Your Time

Chapter 7

Later that night, Emily was putting on a little bit of makeup when she heard a tap on the window.

She walked back into her room and saw Alex grinning from the outside of the pane and rolled her eyes.

“Hey,” Alex said as soon as she opened the window and allowed him in.

“What’s up?” she asked going back into the bathroom to finish getting ready.

She saw Alex shrug before asking, “Where are you going?”

“Movies, remember?” she asked cautiously.

“Oh yeah,” Alex answered sounding slightly bitter.

Emily smiled remembering being in that position with him so many times before.

“Em, you’re over here, at least help me pick out some clothes!” Alex whined as she sat on his bed laughing at him. She had just teased him after finding him singing and dancing along to a Teletubbies episode.

“For what?” she asked still laughing.

“My date tonight,” Alex answered with a smirk.

She stopped laughing and sighed. “Who’s the victim tonight?” she asked.

“Tara,” he answered. “Hey-wait what do you mean by victim?” he asked confused.

Emily rolled her eyes and laughed.

“What do you mean?” Alex whined.

“Oh come on Alex, tell me your intentions are not to just bed her by the end of the night,” Emily answered sifting through his closet and throwing a shirt at him.

“Well duh,” Alex answered with a smirk.

“I rest my case,” Emily sighed, shoving a pair of jeans at him and falling back on the bed, closing her eyes.

“Thank you, love,” he told her.

“Whatever,” she replied opening her eyes.

He was just in his boxers, getting ready to pull the shirt over his head.

“Sexy, aren’t I?” he teased, noticing her stare down of him. He finished pulling the shirt down and smirked at her.

She threw a pillow at him but blushed none the less.

“You think I’m sexy, you want my body,” he sang as he struggled putting his jeans on.

“What a disgusting thought,” she lied.

“That’s not what you said after prom,” he brought up as he finished getting his pants on.

An awkward silence stole over the room as the two teens stared at each other. Prom night hadn’t been brought up by other of them since the morning after; two and half months ago.

“We were drunk,” Emily replied, looking away.

“Yeah,” Alex mumbled grabbing a belt.

Emily looked down at the comforter as memories of that night flashed through her brain. She felt the bed sink beside her and looked over at her best friend staring down at her.

“Would it be out of line for me to say that it was good?” he asked a small smirk tugging at his lips.

Emily rolled her eyes and shoved him before chuckling. “Yeah, not bad,” she shrugged.

“Not bad!” he asked offended. “Psh gurl I’m amazing in bed.”

“Wow and I didn’t think it was possible for your ego to inflate anymore,” Emily smirked.

“Telling the truth is not a reason to call me egotistical, Em,” he replied.

She rolled her eyes before responding, “But you aren’t so I can.”

“You’re so bluffing,” Alex called her out.

“I’m really not,” she replied seriously.

“I’m so awesome in bed!” Alex whined.

Emily laughed and shook her head. “Nope.”

“You were too drunk to remember,” Alex tried, moving his head very close to hers.

“No I remember it,” Emily replied quietly as his breath hit her face.

“Then you’re bluffing,” he whispered, inching closer.

She shook her head and looked down at his lips.

Before either of them could think, his lips met hers in a slow rhythmic movement. She lost all rational thought and continued kissing him as he shifted his body to hovering over hers.

That was the second time.


“What are you laughing about?” Alex asked as she pulled out of the memory.

She frowned and shrugged. “Nothing. What are you up to tonight?” she asked walking back into her room to pick out some shoes.

She saw him shrug before sighing and sitting on her bed. “You look nice,” he commented.

Emily looked down at her simple outfit before smiling at him. “I’m just wearing jeans and a tee shirt Alex,” she chuckled.

“But you look good in them,” he mumbled.

She blushed as her cell phone vibrated and she read the text that Eric was there.

“Well I’ll see you later, Alex,” she said moving towards the door.

“Have a nice time,” he replied stiffly.

She smiled and walked over to him kissing him on the cheek before leaving.

&&&

“Hey,” Eric greeted her as she slid into the passenger’s seat.

“Hey,” she smiled in return.

Eric pulled out of the driveway and Emily caught Alex’s figure peeking through the curtain as they drove off. She shook her head and stopped the smile tugging at her lips.

“How was the movie night?” Eric asked.

Emily recounted the night before and frowned. “Eventful,” she replied.

Eric laughed, “Yeah? What happened?”

“Jack and Rian tried to dance along to High School Musical,” she laughed remembering the ridiculous scene.

Eric chuckled. “What do you want to see?” he asked as the faint ping of the turn signal filled the car.

“I have no idea what’s out to be honest,” Emily replied.

“Close our eyes and randomly pick?” Eric suggested sending her a grin.

Emily chuckled. “Sounds good.”

A comfortable silence passed between them and Emily turned up the volume on the radio. Emily tried to shake the scene from that night last summer from her mind but it kept tugging at her memory.

“I want to go to the zoo sometime this summer,” Emily said aloud.

“Yeah?” Eric asked as they passed the closing park.

Emily nodded with a smile. “I love the monkeys.”

Eric nodded before grinning and replying, “I’ll take you next week?”

“Sure,” Emily smiled.

After a little more small talk they reached the movie theater and retreated from the car. They walked into the theater, Eric guiding her buy the small of her back, and stopped in front of the ticket booth.

“Okay, so we both close our eyes, point at the screen, then rock, paper, scissors for the one?” Emily suggested.

Eric nodded. “Unless it’s a kids movie.”

“Or a chick flick”

Eric laughed. “I knew I liked you,” he joked.

Emily laughed before they turned at the screen and closed their eyes. “Okay picked one?” she asked after a second.

“I got Pirates of the Caribbean,” Eric answered looking at her and shrugging.

“Cars,” Emily replied with a laugh.

“Okay go,” Eric said holding his fist over his other hand’s palm.

“Rock, paper, scissors, shoot,” they both said.

“Cars it is,” Emily replied with a smirk.

“Two tickets for Cars,” Eric told the teenager working behind the booth.

“Eighteen twenty-three,” the blond replied taking his twenty.

“A dollar seventy seven is your change, have a nice night,” she said handing him back his change.

“Thanks,” he replied taking the tickets.

“Hey wait,” she said stopping the two. “You’re friends with Alex Gaskarth aren’t you?” she asked excitedly staring at Emily.

“Uh, yeah I am,” she replied with a heavy sigh. She almost always got asked this when she would go out.

“Is he here? Could you introduce him to me, please? He’s so hot!” she said quickly.

“No sorry,” Emily said taking Eric’s hand and turning around.

“Oh but please?” the girl begged.

Emily and Eric continued walking away and quickly handed their tickets to the usher before walking towards the snack line.

“Well someone’s famous,” Eric teased.

“Oh shut up,” Emily said shoving him slightly. “It gets so annoying.”

“Does it happen a lot?” he asked curiously as they moved forward in line.

Emily nodded with a frown on her lips. “Some of them have even started getting violent because we HUG sometimes. Like what is that?” she asked.

“Seriously?

“Yeah, I’d hate to see what it’ll be like when they get really famous,” she said shuddering at the thought.

“They’ll either try to be your best friend or kill you,” Eric shrugged.

Emily laughed before they stepped up to the counter and ordered a bucket of popcorn, a box of chocolate covered raisins, and two Dr. Pepper’s.

&&&

“Jack, come to the movies with me,” Alex ordered to his best friend over the receiver as he walked towards his car.

“But I want to play video games!” Jack whined.

“I’ll be at your house in five minutes,” Alex disregarded his friend’s statement.

“Fine,” Jack groaned.

Five minutes later the lanky guitarist was sitting in the passenger seat of Alex’s Audi pestering the driver about why he suddenly wanted to go to the movies.

“I want to see a movie dickhead,” Alex retorted.

Jack snorted. “And I have a vagina.”

Alex glanced at Jack and smirked.

“What? No dude I have a dick!” Jack yelped. “It’s huge, dude, you know it’s huge.”

Alex laughed and shook his head.

“But seriously, my dick is huge,” Jack was still trying to convince the singer about his masculinity as they arrived at the theater.

“Dude shut up,” Alex said trying to quiet him as Emily and Eric came into view playing rock, paper, scissors. He watched as Emily won and smirked.

“What movie are we seeing?” Jack asked.

“I don’t know yet, come on and be quiet,” Alex said pulling his hoodie over his hat.

He heard Eric say Cars from a few people up before muttering to Jack, who was texting someone, “Cars.”

“Okay, whatever,” Jack replied still looking down at his phone.

Alex watched as the girl talked animatedly to Emily who was on the verge of rolling her eyes. He caught snippets of the conversation, even hearing his own name being thrown in by the blond at the window and Emily’s denial. If only she knew, he thought. She’d cut your balls off, he reminded himself with a grimace, pulling the hood down a little more.

They reached the window a couple minutes later and asked for the same movie, handing over the money and he threw the girl a smirk in which she squealed and said some things so quickly he didn’t catch before the two boys walked away with a number.

“Hey, look it’s Emi,” Jack said pointing to the brunette. “Emi—“

Alex covered his friend’s mouth before pulling him over to the side out of sight of the couple. “Dude, shut up.”

Jack furrowed his eyebrows before mouthing an “o” and replying, “So that’s why we’re here. You want to spy on their date.”

Alex rubbed the back of his neck before replying, “I don’t know what you’re talking about. I just wanted to see a movie.”

Jack snorted again. “You’re so full of it. But whatever. Can we do a Charlie’s Angels thing?” he asked excitedly.

Alex laughed, “Yeah sure, whatever makes us stay unnoticed.”

“I’m the blond, she was the hot one,” Jack noted as they walked into the snack line.

Alex rolled his eyes before watching as Emily and Eric laughed and walked down the hallway towards the theater. He gritted his teeth as Eric’s hand wound around her waist and kissed her head.

The two boys bought popcorn and drinks, Alex denying Jack candy, knowing what the outcome would be if he allowed the guitarist to get any. They traveled down the hallway, slowly, due to Jack finding the need to hide behind every corner and even tumbling at one point.

“Dude, come on,” Alex urged his friend on. They walked into the theater and quickly searched the theater for the couple before finding seats a couple rows behind them.

During the entire movie Alex felt the urge to throw the bucket of popcorn at the back of Eric’s head, but refrained, knowing Emily would find him and he was not ready to be dismembered.

“Dude this movie is so awesome,” Jack whispered stuffing a handful of popcorn into his mouth.

“Yeah,” Alex agreed not really paying attention. Eric was whispering something into Emily’s ear causing her to turn her head and smile up at him. They leaned in before Alex grabbed a handful of popcorn and threw it at the couple, hitting Eric in the head.

Alex quickly grabbed Jack, making him duck as the couple turned to look for the culprit. Alex watched through the crack in the seats as they shrugged and turned back to the movie.

“Dude let me up,” Jack hissed after a second.

Alex released him and they sat back up, a triumphant smirk playing on Alex’s lips as no lip action occurred two rows below.

&&&

After the movie, Alex and Jack waited until Eric and Emily left the theater before leaving themselves. They walked into the lobby and saw Emily standing near the restrooms waiting.

“Shit,” Alex muttered stepping behind a pillar. “Jack come—“

“Jack?” Emily asked nearby.

“Lie, dude, lie,” Alex hissed as he heard footsteps coming closer.

“What are you doing here?” Emily asked curiously eyeing Jack.

“Movie?” Jack said more like a question.

“Who are you—are you here with Alex?” she asked putting her hands on her hips.

Jack shook his head slowly. “I’m on a date,” he coughed.

“Really?” Emily asked sarcastically.

“Really Emi, is it that hard to believe that I can be on a date?” Jack asked offended.

“Then where is she?” Emily asked tilting her head with a satisfied smirk.

“Bathroom,” Jack replied as Eric walked up and slinging his arm around Emily’s shoulder.

“Oh well then we can wait and see your date, surely,” Emily replied crossing her arms.

“Nah, you two go have fun,” Jack replied stealing a glance back at the pillar Alex was hiding behind.

“Alex, come out,” Emily ordered catching the glance and staring at the pillar.

“Emi, Alex isn’t here?” Jack hesitated.

“You suck at lying Barakitty,” Emily laughed, ruffling his hair before stepping forward towards the pillar. “Give me a second Eric.”

“Don’t kill him,” Jack mumbled as she walked past him and stepping behind the pillar.

“Ow, ow, ow,” Alex muttered as he was being dragged out from behind the pillar by his ear.

Eric laughed. Jack threw a sorrowful look towards Alex before Emily pulled his face down level to hers.

“Hi Alex,” she said with a menacing smirk.

“Oh hey Em, hey Eric, nice night for a movie, yeah?” he tried to play off.

“Stop spying on my dates like we’re thirteen again dickwads,” Emily flicking Alex and Jack in the nose.

“Oww,” they replied rubbing their noses.

“Geez Em, why do you even think we were spying, maybe we just wanted to enjoy a movie tonight,” Alex said trying to pry her fingers off his ear.

Emily snorted before pinching his arm and letting go of his ear. “I’m so not stupid, I know you threw popcorn at us during the movie,” she said pointing her finger at him. “Now go and leave us alone.”

“Fine,” Alex and Jack mumbled walking away defeated.

“Way to go dumbass,” Alex scolded.

“What? I didn’t do anything!” Jack complained.

“You got caught,” Alex replied hitting his friend upside the head.

Jack rubbed the back of his head before replying childishly, “You and mommy are so abusive.”

Alex hit him again before muttering, “I knew I should have brought Zack instead.”

&&&

“Sorry about that,” Emily apologized as they walked towards the car.

Eric chuckled and waved it off. “No big deal.”

They drove to Rita’s having a small chat with Rian as they ate their ice cream before heading back to her house. Eric walked her up to the front door before kissing her and leaving.

“Where’d you go after the movies?”

Emily sighed as she closed her bedroom door and slipped off her shoes. “Non-ya,” she replied with a smirk walking over to her dresser.

“Oh come on, tell, tell, tell,” Alex asked from his spot on her bed.

“Uh no,” Emily refused, setting her purse down.

“Pleeeeeeease,” Alex begged.

“Nope, not after that little stunt you pulled,” Emily said giving him a glare.

Alex rolled his eyes before replying, “Oh come off it.”

Emily shook her head before turning to him and saying, “Now leave, I’m changing and going to bed.”

“I want to stay,” Alex replied.

Emily rolled her eyes before grabbing her pajamas and walking into the bathroom.

“Like I haven’t seen anything before,” Alex called through the closed door.

Emily bit her lip and shook her head as she changed and brushed her teeth.

She walked back out to find Alex in only his boxers and already lying under the covers.

“Don’t get too comfortable,” Emily mumbled slipping under the covers and turning off the lamp.

“Did you have fun?” Alex asked. She was still his best friend; he did still care whether she had a good time or not, despite his resentment.

“Yeah,” Emily grinned.

Alex nodded before yawning.

“Goodnight Alex,” Emily mumbled turning her back to him.

“Night Em,” he mumbled slinging his arm around her waist and lying next to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
long update (:

feedback?