Heart-Shaped Box

Help is Here

You stood frozen with irritation.

… “What the fuck is this girl doing here?”..., you thought.

“Gerard… I did not know you were here… if not for…” Nikki started, though you did not hear what she said next. Nikki started walking toward you and Gerard.

She looked at you sternly as she passed. Then, shockingly… (well, you were shocked)… she hugged Gerard.

“Nikki, what are you doing here?” Gerard asked, smiling to her. It looks like he’s excited to see her, because he’s also stroking her hair and around her waist is his arm.

“Umm don’t you reMember?” she looked at him hopefully.

“Yes, of course I reMember… but Nikki—”

“But what?”

“Look… I’ve been preparing a lot for our day… but not now…”

“What do you mean ‘not now’? Don’t tell me she’s more—oh umm… what do you mean?”

“Nikki…” Gerard hugged her tighter, and just seeing this scene through the corner of your eyes, you went away, and both Mikey and Matt, who were behind Gerard, followed you too.

You could hear the noise, you assume Frank and Ray are making, from the kitchen.

You, Matt and Mikey entered the kitchen and the two of them sat. Now, all of the chairs are being occupied by the guys except for one. And much to your despair, as you sat on the only seat available, the seat is just a couple of feet away from the open kitchen door and you can still clearly see the image of the “couple” even through your peripheral vision.

You did not hear their next Word to change tos but you know what it was about. You can say that it’s been one week since they’ve been together.

You sighed, eyes on the floor. You don’t know what feelings are present to you now except for extreme irritation and sleepiness.

“Hey what’s the matter? Still sleepy, eh?”

You looked up, it’s Ray.

“Hey Ray…” you greeted back.

“Cheer up. It’s your birthday!”

“Yeah, it is…” you looked sideway to Gerard and Nikki, just in time to see him kiss her on the forehead. Ray looked too then you saw him frown.

“Don’t worry, I don’t think Gerard will let her ruin your day” he said.

“Well that’s what you think”… Ray and the others still don’t know about Nikki and Gerard…

“Ahreya, I think it’s better if you prepare yourself. I don’t think your friends will want to wait for hours.” your mom entered the kitchen and pat your shoulder.

You were about to prepare yourself a while ago and maybe by now you’re already in the shower if not for that whore Nikki. Now you aren’t in the mood to even think it is your birthday.

You laid your arms on the table and rested your head on your arms.

You looked sideways again and you saw Gerard wave Nikki goodbye. You stared at him with your sleepy eyes as he walks toward you. You weren’t relieved that she left without Gerard coming with her. You stared at him blankly. (me: I’m starting to realize that 99% of my sentences start with the Word to change to “you”)

He was smiling when he stopped in front of you.

“Since I wasn’t able to be the first one to greet you…” he started, you groaned.

“I hate it when people make some sort of excuses or reasons why they should do something really good to me” you spat, though it sounded rather harshly than you intended it to be.

“Are you angry?” he knelt beside you and held your chin up softly.

“Why would I?”

“Ahreya…”

“No, I’m not angry, sorry…” you said and smiled sincerely and then sighed… you realized that he’s not ditching your birthday and he made Nikki leave… just like what Ray assured you earlier. Although you know there’s a reason why Nikki just let Gerard stay with you rather than spending the day with her since it’s… umm… been seven days since they’ve been together.

“Get prepared…” he smiled as he stood, rubbing your head—more like messing your hair—the usual thing he does. You nodded.

“At last Ahreya! After 5 hours… umm I mean ‘years’… after 5 years, at last, at last… phew! You decided to get out of the shower!” Mikey yelled when you opened the restroom door.

“I like your shirt” Frank commented as he walked passed you, a soft drink can on his hands. You jokingly rolled your eyes and smiled. You wore the pretty black shirt your mom brought you home a while ago (me: She works at weeknights, I just realized I forgot to mention that when I was supposed to). The bath lifted your mood a bit.

“Alright, I guess we’re ready to go.” Gerard stood.

“Hey what about mom?” you asked.

“No, I’m not going dear, nobody will be left here to take care of the house” your mom smiled.

“But mom… it has always been left with nobody…”

“Oh… yeah… but… no, no. You just go… it’s not like you’re going to be out very late, am I right Gerard?”

“Yes, Ahreya… we’re going home pretty early anyway”

“You’re gonna eat dinner here, sweetheart,” your mom kissed you on the cheek

“Um oh well if that’s what you want…” you sighed.

“Alright, come on let’s go then” Frank pulled your right arm, “The mall will open in a few minutes”

“The mall?” you asked.

“Yes, the mall.” Mikey answered, coming to help Frank on pulling you, then he pulled your left arm.

“Why the mall?”

“It’s the only place we could buy stuff.” Gerard said coolly.

“Buy stuff?”

“Stuff… more like gifts…”

“Huh? You’re gonna spend money on me?” you asked, surprised. The two guys that were pulling you were so damn strong than even when you pulled back and stretched your legs to try to stop yourself from being pulled, they were able to drag you without stopping.

“No. We’re gonna buy you some gifts.”

“Whatever. It’s the same thing! You guys don’t have to spend on me!!!!!!!” you yelled as Mikey and Frank pulled you harder.

“Stop insisting that we don’t have to spend on you… we want to. That’s all, besides… you’ve done a lot for us” Gerard grinned, walking backwards so that he faces you.

“What the heck? Done a lot for you?” you asked, one eyebrow raised.

“Yeah tell me how many times have you been in the principal’s office?” Frank laughed.

“What?! Oh I get it… you’re paying me back for having to sit my ass inside that principal’s office hundreds of times for something you guys did! Look, don’t think like I wanted or was willing to do that for you, ‘cause I really wouldn’t!!! You just made it look like everything was my fault!” you yelled, you’re not angry though, as a matter of fact, you’re laughing.

“Uh just shut the hell up.” Mikey laughed as they pushed you to the bed of Matt’s rusty pick-up truck.

“Hey why am I sitting on here?” you yelled, as you realized the five of them climbing ‘inside’ the truck.

“You’re special. Don’t you see it as an honor to be sitting there alone?!” Frank joked and all of them laughed.

“WHAT THE—?!”

“Nah alright… I’m sitting with you…” Frank went out of the truck to join you at the back.

“Whatever! WHATEVER!!! I don’t want to sit here!”

“I’m sitting with you two then if you still won’t shut up!” Mikey laughed as he joined the both of you too.

“NO!! Not with the both of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!” you yelled (once again), and the five of them started laughing even harder.

“Alright… welcome to my baby…” Matt said just as if he’s a proud father of his son, then he started his truck.

Just as he turned the corner and passed a hotel parking lot, you felt something odd as you looked around you, the place was very familiar, then your heart started beating faster. You looked around hysterically… then it struck you… on this road… this is where it all happened… your dream last night… that nightmare happened in this very fucking place…