Forever In My Heart

Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5
The ride home was silent. That was very unusual. We always talk about our day in the car. But I guess dad was just giving me some space.
We were already parked in the garage when dad asked me, “Are you sure you’re okay honey?”
“Yes dad. I’m fine. I’m just a little tired.” I smiled reassuringly. I kissed him on his cheeks and got out of the car. I went straight upstairs to my bedroom.
I dumped my book bag on the floor and lay on my bed.
It can’t be him. Their names are the same but it could probably be just a coincidence because the Alex I knew is nothing like that Alex. It couldn’t be. I thought. But he called me Eliz. No, that’s not him. He probably knew my middle name from the record book and decided to call me that. What is his last name anyway? Ugghh, why didn’t I asked Steph what his last name is? No, that’s not him… is it? He just couldn’t be.
A knocked on the door pulled me from my trance.
“Come in.” I said sitting up.
“Hey, honey. Are you okay? You’re dad said you look like you’ve seen a ghost when he went to pick you up.” She said walking in and sitting on my bed next to me.
“I’m fine mum. Don’t worry about it. I’m just feeling tired that’s all.”
“Are you sure honey? Because your color is a bit off.” She said feeling my forehead.
“I’m fine mum. I just need some rest.” I assured her pulling her hands away from my forehead and holding it in my hand.
“Okay honey. I’m gonna let you have your rest now. I’ll be downstairs if you need me.” She kissed me on my forehead and walked towards the door.
“Umm, honey….” She said looking at me before she leaves the room, “We’ll be having some old friends over for dinner, so if you be a dear and come have dinner with us, I’ll really appreciate it.”
“Okay mom, I’ll be there.” I said smiling at her.
“Thank you honey.” And with that she left me alone in my bedroom.
I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling. I closed my eyes trying to forget everything that just happened today. But I couldn’t. The moment Alex called me Eliz, it’s like everything just spins around making me confuse. Every memories, every emotions that I have buried deep down in my heart 2 years ago was suddenly flooding my brain. Every moments that I have shared with him – my Alex – came flashing back in front of my eyes.
Alex – my Alex, not the Alex that I’ve met today - was my best friend. He called me by my middle name rather than my first. He said that calling me by my first name, Christine is a mouth full. That’s when he decided to call me Eliz – short for Elizabeth. He also said that Eliz suits me better than Christine. So I called him Taylor (his middle name), instead of Alex (his first name). Everyone knows that only Taylor can call me Eliz and since he left 3 years ago, no one dares to bring that name up again. But Jimmy was an exception.
The tears are trying to force themselves to get out. So I got up, and pull out my homework from my book bag. I was trying to get my mind off of Taylor.
I decided to take a hot bath when I was done with my homework. I grabbed my towel and went to the bathroom. I washed my hair and let the warm water soak my whole body. When I had done my needs, I wrapped the towel around me and went to the bathroom. I dried my hair and comb it. I decided not to wear any make up tonight even though there are guests coming. I put on a pair of black jeans and a white t-shirt.
I went downstairs to help mum.
“Oh, hi honey. How are you feeling?” she asked as I entered the kitchen
“I’m okay now. Need any help?”
“Oh, sure honey. Why don’t you help me set up the table and I check on the chicken.” She said handing me the plates and the cutleries.
I went to the dining room and set up the table. When I was done, dad came in holding Jimmy in his arm and a phone on his hand.
“Christine, it’s for you. It’s Eli.” he said holding the phone out to me.
I was half jumping excitedly. I couldn’t erase the smile on my face. I really missed Eli even though we have talked last night.
Dad laughed at my silliness. I took the phone and went to the back porch. I was acting like a girl who had just received a phone call from her crush but I’m not. I was just happy that I could hear her voice again after what I’ve been through today. I mean I could share everything with her, and she is a good listener too. She is like a sister that I never have. She has helped me through a lot especially with my grandma’s death and everything.
“Hi Eli.” I was trying to sound not too excited. I was facing the sunflower field. It looks beautiful under the moonlight.
“Oh my god, Christine! Oh thank god. I thought you’d be dead by now.” She said sarcastically.
“Haha.” I said.
“Sooooooo….. How was school?” she asked trying to sound innocent. In her language that means any cute guys.
“It was…. fine, I guess.”
“Oh…oh. I know that tone. Someone’s been bothering you, isn’t it?” she said. How well does she know me? I thought.
“What tone? I’m not using any tone.” I said innocently.
“There’s a hot guy isn’t it?” It was a rhetorical question.
“More like annoying.” I corrected her.
“Oh my god! I knew it. Is he that hot?” she asked excitedly.
“I just said he’s annoying not hot.”
“Yeah, I heard you. In your language that means he’s hot. So what’s he like?” she asked more excitedly. Again, how well does she know me?
“Ugghh, not now please…” I pleaded
“So, how did he annoy you?” she said ignoring my pleas. I noticed the sarcastic tone in her voice. I imagine her doing the open and close inverted coma with her hands in the air now on the word annoy.
“Can we just talk about – “ I stopped mid sentence because when I turned around there was Alex standing in front me. I was startled so I dropped the phone and jumped backward almost falling down the steps. Luckily Alex grabbed my waist before I could fall off the porch.
“Hi, nice to see you again… Eliz.” He said with a big grin on his face. He pulled closer me to him that I could smell his sweet cologne.
“Stop… stop call… calling me that.” I stuttered trying to get out of his grip. But instead of letting me go, he tightened his grip on me. He was obviously teasing me.
He was leaning closer and closer. I tried to back away from him but one of his hands was now on my back that I couldn’t move away. He was close to my face now staring into my eyes. I wanted to look away from it but I just couldn’t. There’s just something about his eyes that just draws me back to it.
He was close enough that I could feel his breath on my face. My heart was beating so hard that I’m afraid that he could hear it. Oh god. I thought. Why couldn’t I say anything? But instead of aiming for my lips he was whispering to my ears.
“You’re friend is still waiting for you.” He whispered.
Oh my god, Eli. I thought. He let go of me and I went down the steps to search for the phone that I had dropped. I could hear her voice screaming my name through the phone. When I found it, I put it back on my ear.
“Christine! Christine, are you okay?” she shouted.
“Sorry Eli. I accidentally dropped the phone.” I said apologetically. I saw Alex smirking.
“I’m gonna kill him.” I muttered under my breathe.
“What do you mean you’re gonna kill him?” Eli asked confused. Oops, she heard it.
“Nothing.” I said too quickly.
“You’re lying. Come on. What is it?” she demanded. I looked at Alex like I was gonna kill him.
“What?” he said innocently with a triumphant smile on his face.
“OH MY GOD!” Eli shrieked. “WHO is THAT? He sound so sexy.” She was shrieking so loudly that I have to pull the phone away from my ear.
He must have heard it too since his grin was getting bigger.
“Come on, tell me what’s his name.” she demanded.
“Oh my god.” She exclaimed as if she just realized something important.
“Is he the reason why you have rejected all the guys here? Is he really that hot that you don’t want to tell me about him because you’re afraid that I might take him away from you? Is he? Is he really that hot?” she asked excitedly without stopping to breathe.
I could see that Alex’s grin was getting bigger.
“NO!” I half yelled. “You know what Eli, I’m gonna… hang up… now… okay?”
“Wait, no don’t hang up on me, I’m sorry – “ I didn’t get to hear her finish her sentence since I hang up the phone.
“That was kind of… fun to watch.” Ale x said smirking.
I looked at him in the eyes. I walked towards him keeping my eyes on his.
“What are you doing here?” I asked rudely.
“You’re parents invited us here. Didn’t you know about that?”
“Us?” I asked confused.
“Yeah. My parents and me.” He explained.
I sighed. So they’re the guests that my mom is talking about. I walked inside to the dining room. He followed me.
“You really haven’t figured it out have you?” he said. I could hear the disappointment in his voice.
“Figure out what?” I stopped dead on my track when I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith in my dining room talking to my parents.
“That.” He simply said.
They stopped talking when they heard me and Alex enter the room.
“There you are honey. They’ve been waiting for you. Where have you been?” mom said pulling me towards Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I was clutching on my phone tightly that my knuckles went white. I can’t believe it’s them, I thought. The two people that I haven’t seen after my grandma’s death. They just disappeared into the thin air without any news or anything. And now they’re in my dining room talking with my parents.
“Oh, Christine. We’ve missed you so much.” Mrs. Smith said pulling me into a hug.
“And look at you. You’ve grown up into a beautiful young lady.” Mr. Smith said standing beside his wife.
Mrs. Smith finally released me and kissed my forehead. “You were like a second child to us.” She said her arms still on me. “Alex here just can’t stop talking about you when he met you at school today.”
“Alex?” I asked confused. So that’s why he was disappointed when haven’t figure out that he’s Alex, that he’s Taylor my best friend.
“Why yes Christine. Alex, our one and only child. Don’t tell me you’ve forgotten about him?” she asked disappointedly.
“No, no I haven’t forgotten about him. I just didn’t realize that he was Alex. He looks different that’s all.” I hesitated.
“Oh yes. Haha. He does, doesn’t he? Well he is a grown man.” Mr. Smith said proudly patting on his son’s back.
Ding. It was the oven indicating that the chicken is ready.
“Oohh… The chicken’s ready. Why don’t you all just sit down and I’ll get the chicken out.” Mom said excitedly.
“Mom, I’ll get it.” I offered.
“Thank you honey.” She said grabbing the seat next to Mrs. Smith.
I just want to get away from them for a while and just take in everything slowly. I went to the kitchen and walked toward the oven. I opened it. I burned my fingers when I tried to get the chicken out. I forgot to wear the mittens.
“Ouch…” I yelled sucking on my fingers.
“Here let me help you with that.” Alex said taking my hand and leading me to the sink. I didn’t even notice he was following me to the kitchen.
He opened the tap and let the cold water run on my burned fingers. His hand was holding mine the entire time. The cold water stings my burning fingers so I tried to pull my hands away from it but Alex just held it still under the cold water.
“Just hold still for a while.” He said. I just give in to him.
After a while it doesn’t sting anymore.
“I’m fine now.” I said pulling my hands away from him. He just let me go.
I put on the mittens and pull the chicken out of the oven. I put it on top of the counter and transfer it to another bigger and nicer looking plate.
“Are you mad at me Eliz, for not telling you about it earlier before?”
“Stop calling me that Taylor.”
“Did you just call me Taylor?” he said a smile on his face.
“Just don’t call me Eliz again okay?” I pleaded sighing not looking at him.
“I won’t stop calling you Eliz, not until you tell me why I couldn’t. You’ve never objected that before.”
“That was then… now it’s… different.” My back was on him.
“Different?” he asked clearly confused.
I just kept quiet.
“Eliz – “
“Alex, don’t” I cut him off.
“Alex…” he sound disappointed.
I hurried back to the dining room carrying the chicken. I couldn’t stand the tension between Taylor and me.
I placed the chicken in the center of the table and took my seat next to mum.
“Everything okay, honey?” mom whispered.
“Yeah, mom. Everything’s fine.” I lied.
Alex took his seat in front of me.
“Okay then, let’s eat.” Dad said.
Everyone was enjoying their meal talking to each other. I just kept quiet only answering when someone asks me questions. Other than that I was silent as a dead goose. I could feel Taylor’s gaze on me. When I looked up to him, he didn’t even try to look away. So I just looked back down on my food.
When we finished dinner, Taylor helped me with the dishes. Mom was putting Jimmy to sleep while the others were already in the living room continuing on talking about what they have missed all this years we were apart.
Taylor and I were washing the dishes in silence.
“Are you mad at me because I’ve left you 3 years ago when you needed me the most?” he asked breaking the silence. I could hear them laughing in the living room.
I just kept quiet concentrating on the dishes.
“Eliz, I’m sorry okay.” He stopped doing the dishes and looked at me. But I didn’t look back at him.
“Eliz, could you please look at me.” He pleaded when I didn’t say anything. I just went on finishing washing the dishes while he just keeps on staring at me.
I walked out of the kitchen and into the living room when I was done with the dishes. He followed behind.
Everyone was looking at us when we enter the room.
“Come here honey.” Mom said smiling gesturing me to sit next to her. Alex sits beside his mom.
“Christine, we have something to tell you.” Dad said seriously.
“It’s about your grandma and her last wish.” He continued. Everyone was staring at me seriously at me now, half smiling. Alex just looked serious like he was hiding something big from me.
“What about grandma?” I asked.
“Well, you’re gonna be 17 in a few weeks. So I guess it’s best if we tell you now.” Mom said. I just remembered mom saying about them waiting for me to turn 17 to move here. What’s that got to do with grandma’s last wish? I thought.
“Tell me what?” I said. I just can’t stand the suspense now. I could feel my heart beating really hard against my ribs.
“Your grandma… “Dad hesitated. “She wants you to marry Alex when you turn 17.” He continued.
I just look at him like I couldn’t believe what he is saying. I look at mom, then Mr. and Mrs. Smith. They all look serious. I then look at Taylor, searching his face that maybe this was just a joke. But I couldn’t find anything.
“We’re not pulling any type of joke on you Christine.” Mrs. Smith finally said.
“Ohh…” that was all that came out from me. I looked down on my lap.
I couldn’t think straight now. I just want to get out of here.
“Umm… could you excuse me for a while? I’m just gonna take some fresh air.” I said getting up from my seat and walked out the room without even looking up at them. I went to the back porch and just sit on the steps.
I stared down on my lap. I was biting on my lip trying to fight back the tears. I could feel Taylor sitting beside me.
“You knew about this?” I asked still looking down.
“Yeah.” He simply said.
“When?” I asked again. Tears were starting to roll down on my cheeks.
“The day when your grandma died.” He answered softly.
“Then why did you leave me?” I was trying to control my voice because I don’t want him to know that I was crying.
“When I found out that I have to marry you, I was just mad. I was mostly mad at you. So my parents decided that moving was the best way for you and me because if I just stay here I will only get mad even more at you and that will only make it worse for you. I was just glad that I can go away from here that I had forgotten how much you’ll be needing me. And when I remembered, I just thought that it would be a good punishment for you, for letting your grandma forcing me into this. I was selfish and I’m sorry about that.” He blurted everything out.
I just kept looking down crying. I was afraid that my voice would break if I say something so I just kept quiet.
“Eliz… look at me. Please just look at me.”
I wanted too but I couldn’t let him see me crying.
“Eliz… I’m sorry.” He gives up when I didn’t look at him. He kissed the top of my head and with that he left me alone. When I was sure he was nowhere in sight, I ran upstairs to my bedroom. I locked the door and lay on my bed. I cried myself to sleep.