Forever In My Heart

Chapter 4

CHAPTER 4
A week later….
I woke up at exactly 7 in the morning. It was Monday- my first day of school in Huntsville high. I will be the new kid. God, I hate being the new kid – not that I’ve moved to another when I was in New York before. I just hate it when everyone stares at you like you’re some kind of freak. I even hate the fact that I have to spend my final senior year here when I wish I could spend it with Eli. I groaned in my bed trying to sit up. My head hurts due to the lack of sleep. Thanks to Eli, who has been keeping me up all night trying to make sure that I have the right outfit for my first day in my new school. Oh and also to look good.
I grabbed my towel and walked out of my bedroom into the bathroom. I took off my clothes and went into the shower. I let the warm water soaked me. I washed my hair and done my needs. I walked out of the shower almost slipping on the wet tile. Luckily I grabbed the handle on the shower’s door. I wrapped the towel tightly around me and walked out of the bathroom into my bedroom. I dried my hair and applied some lip gloss – I never really wear make-up, unless there’s Eli around then I don’t have any choice – and went to the dresser to grab the clothes that Eli has suggested me to wear for my first day. By the time I was ready it was already 8:10 am. It took a lot longer than I thought it would. So I grabbed my book bag and went downstairs to the kitchen.
When I entered the kitchen, Jimmy was already sitting on his chair eating his food. Mom was busy making breakfast while dad had his head buried on the newspaper.
“Morning mom, morning dad, morning Jimmy” I kissed mom and dad on their cheeks and I kissed Jimmy on his forehead since Jimmy’s cheek was covered with chocolate syrup.
“Morning honey.” Mom and dad said together.
“Mooaaaniiiing…. Eliiiiizzz…” Jimmy said smiling. Ever since he learns to speak, he likes to stretch the words. But what I don’t get is that he likes to call me by my middle name – Eliz short for Elizabeth. I tried to force him to call me Christine but he just won’t budge.
I smiled at him and grab a bite of mom’s delicious pancake.
Mom and dad stopped what they’re doing and looked at me. They stared at me like they were shocked.
“What?” I asked with my mouth full of pancakes.
“Umm, honey. I thought you said that no one could you call that after – “
“Well Jimmy’s different.” I cut mom off before she could continue.
“Umm, okay honey.” Mom sighed.
“So are you ready honey?” Dad was trying to change the subject.
“I guess so.” I shrugged taking a gulp of the orange juice.
I really wish that Eli is here with me - then maybe she could help me go through this. Then maybe I could have a good start with my senior year.
“Come on honey, it’s time to go. You don’t want to be late on your first day, do you?” dad said, folding his newspaper. He gave mum a kiss on her lips and Jimmy on his forehead. He then went to the garage.
“Okay dad.” I finished everything on my plate and kissed mom and Jimmy goodbye.
“Good luck honey. You will do great.” Mom said smiling. I smiled back. And went to the garage where dad is waiting in the car.
I got in the car and put my seatbelt on. I set my book bag on my lap.
“Ready?” dad asked excitedly.
“Sure dad.” I hesitated.
“Okay then.” He then drives out of the garage and we were on our way to Huntsville High.
I could feel my heart thumping louder and louder as we go nearer and nearer to the school. I could feel my palm sweating. I don’t even know why I’m nervous. Maybe it’s because Eli is not here with me. I guess I never realized how much I needed her and how much I depended on her.
Okay, it’s gonna be okay. I thought. It’s just a school – where everyone will criticize your every move – okay not helping. I thought.
“Are you okay honey?” dad asked concern filled his voice. I didn’t realize I was shaking. I tried to calm myself down. I looked at the school. It was a white building. It looks new. But I’ve googled it last night and Huntsville High School does not look anything like that. Maybe they rebuild it. Huh…
That thought helped me a little. “Honey, are you okay?” Dad was shaking me now.
“Umm, yes dad. I’m fine. You can stop shaking me now.”
“Oh sorry.” Dad released me.
“I’m gonna go now.” I kissed his cheeks and got out of the car.
“Okay kiddo. Oh remember that I will pick you up at 4 o’clock today cause I have a meeting. Okay honey?”
“Okay dad.” I said through the window.
“Love you honey.”
“Love you too dad.” I said. He drove away from me leaving me alone to face this cruel fact.
So I brace myself and turned around to face my reality that Eli is not going to help me go through this. I took a deep breath and saw that a lot of people were already here. How come I didn’t notice that before, I guess I was busy being nervous that I didn’t notice anyone. Typical me.
I looked around and saw that many were already gathering with their friends that they probably haven’t seen during the holidays. The boys high fiving each other, the girls chatting like they haven’t seen each other for ages. I could also see a crowd where the guys were wearing the same jacket with the school logo on it – it’s probably the jocks – they were surrounded by pretty girls wearing skimpy outfits. They must be the ‘it’ crowd. Luckily they had their back at me, so they don’t know I was here.
I didn’t realize that someone was in front of me because I was busy looking around. So me being clumsy, I bumped into him and fell on my butt. Great, I thought. My first day here and I’ve already made a fool of myself. Now every face turned my way. I heard someone gasped but I’m not sure why.
“That must be the new kid.” I heard them say. Sheesh, I thought.
“Umm, sorry.” I muttered while trying to get up.
“Are you okay?” he asked, grabbing my arms to help me stand up.
Wow. I thought. Great voice. He helped me steady myself. When I was steady enough I looked up and saw only his broad chest. So I lift my face higher to see his face. Wow, he’s tall about 6’2 maybe and I’m only 5’7. So I really have to tilt my chin really high so that I can look at his face. I was looking straight to his eyes. His eyes seem familiar, but I don’t remember seeing him before. He was looking at me curiously.
I guess I was lifting my head to high that I almost fall backward. Fortunately he grabbed my waist before I could fall on my butt again. I blushed when I feel his arms around me.
“Are you okay?” he asked. He was leaning so close to me that I could feel his breathe on my face. I nodded hesitantly. I didn’t realize we were so close that if I just moved forward a little I would feel his lips. So I was trying to restraint my movement but at the same time trying to squirm out of his arms. He smirked at my struggle to get away from him, so he tightened his grip on me.
“Umm…” I blushed more. I can feel that he was having fun watching me struggle like this.
“Hey Alex.” Someone said.
I turned my head to see whose voice it belongs to. It was one of the girls from the ‘it’ crowd.
He let go of me, helping me steady myself. The smirk was still on his face. “Hey, Brianna.” He said coolly his eyes not leaving me.
“You two know each other?” she asked. She smiled. But I could hear the disapproving voice under the fake smile of hers. She must have a major crush on this Alex guy.
“Umm, no…. I’m just gonna go now. Nice meeting you guys.” I said. I don’t want to make enemies on my first day. So I walked away from them and into the building.
I walked inside.
“Hey you must be Christine, the new kid.” Someone said from behind me.
I jumped because I didn’t realize someone was behind me.
“Oops, sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you.” She smiled. She has a pretty face with blue eyes and long blonde hair. She looks like the girl next door.
“That’s okay.” I assured her.
“Hi, I’m Stephanie but you can call me Steph. Christine right?” she asked.
“Yeah.”
“Welcome,” she said.
“I’m from the welcoming committee, so I’ll be giving you a brief tour around school.” She continued excitedly.
“Umm, thanks.” She was walking me to the main office. On the way there she tells me everything that goes on around the school, the clubs they have here, the school functions, prom and just about everything about Huntsville High. Apparently the school was rebuild two years ago. She stopped talking for a while when we reached the main office.
I was greeted by the clerk, Mrs. White.
“Aahh, you must be Christine. Welcome to Huntsville High. I see that you’ve met Stephanie here. Well, you’ll be in good hands.” She smiled reassuringly. I smiled back.
“Here’s your class schedule and your locker’s number.” She hands me my schedule, the school map and a piece of paper.
“I want you to get all your teachers to sign that and I want it on my desk by the end of the day. Okay?”
“Umm, okay.” I replied.
We walked out of the office, and Stephanie continued on talking about the school and also the school football’s team. How the school and the entire student body worship them.
She showed me the way to my locker and every shortcut there is to get to my class. She walked to my homeroom class and we said goodbye.
I knocked on the door. “Come in.” someone said from behind the door. I entered the room and every eyes were on me.
“Aahh, we’ve been expecting you. Come in come in. You must be Christine. Hello and welcome. I’m Mr. Jonathan and I will be your homeroom teacher for the rest of the year.” He said.
“Umm, hi.” I said.
“You can take your seat now.” Thank god I don’t have to introduce myself to the whole class.
“Thank you.” I said. I looked around and saw two seats left, one behind Brianna and one at the back of the class. I took the one that is at the back of the class.
I hurried myself to my seat as everyone was staring at me. I got to my seat and they continued doing what they were doing before I entered. I just reached out for my schedule and the school map, so that I would know where I have to go next for my 1st class.
“Sorry I’m late.” Someone came barging in.
“Coach Davis needs me just now.” He explained.
I looked up and saw that it was the guy that I bumped into this morning. I blushed, thinking back about what had happened this morning so I look back down on my desk. When I was confident that my blush has gone away I looked back up. I saw that he has taken the seat behind Brianna. Brianna turned her seat to face him. She must really like this guy by the way she is acting all flirty around him, I thought.
I didn’t realize I was staring at him until he caught me and winked at me. I blushed and hurriedly looked back down. I could see him smiling from the corner of my eyes. God, what is wrong with me today.
The bell rang and it was time for my first class, sociology. I could find the way to my class easily thanks to Stephanie’s shortcut route. I was there before the teacher even came in. I entered the class and saw Stephanie waving at me gesturing at the seat next to her. I took the seat and she introduced me to some of her friends. The teacher, Ms Anne came in and starts the class.

The bell rang and it was time for my next class, trigonometry. The trig teacher was good. Unfortunately Brianna was in the same trig class as I am, so she and her friends have been giving me the cold shoulders. But other than that, everything went well so far.

The bell rang again indicating that it was time for my next class, English literature. I was looking down at the school map to find my way to my next class. So I accidentally bumped into someone again because I wasn’t looking where I was going.
“Oof.” That is a really hard chest, I thought. I bumped my head on his chest so that’s gonna leave a bump. Ouch. What is it with guys always working out? Thank goodness he caught me before I fell.
“Umm sorry about that.” I steadied myself.
“We’ve really gotta stop meeting like this.” He said releasing me from his strong grip. I looked up and saw that it was Alex. He was grinning down at me.
“I’m sorry I wasn’t looking where I –“
“Yeah I kind of get that. How’s your head?” he cut me off.
I rubbed on my forehead, “It’s gonna be okay.” I muttered. That really hurts.
“Okay, Alex. You can stop harassing the new girl now.” Someone said from behind me.
“I’m not harassing her Mr. T.” Alex said smiling.
“Go on now. Get in. It’s time for class.” The man shooed us in.
“Umm, Ms Stewart come with me to my desk and I’ll give you the books that you will be needing.” He gestures me to his desk. He gave me the books. I’ve already read most of them, so that’s good.
“You can take your sit next to Alex now.” He said after giving me all the books.
“Thanks.” I said turning myself to walk to my seat. I almost reached my seat but I stumbled forward dropping all the books in my hand. That was embarrassing, I thought. I heard some giggling and some trying to hide their laughter but it was not working. I blushed again.
“Are you okay, Ms Stewart?” Mr. T asked. I nodded and he smiled.
Alex helped me gather my books and I finally got into my seat.
“So you either bumped into someone or stumbled into things huh?” he asked sarcastically. I blushed.
“Okay class, for those of you who don’t who I am, I’m Mr. T as in Mr. T- Rex.” He gestures with his hands making everyone in the class laughed. He then goes on with his class.
“Anyway, I heard that you used to go here during the summer to – “ he stopped mid sentence when he turned to face me.
“Why are you staring at me like that?” his left eyebrow raised.
“Oh… sorry.” I looked down blushing. I didn’t realize I was staring again. There’s just something about him that looks familiar.
“That’s fine. I always have people staring at me. I mean just look at me.” He said jokingly.
I didn’t respond. I just keep looking down.
“Hey, I was just joking.” He said.
“Umm, yeah I know. Sorry I was just thinking.” I muttered.
“What were you thinking about?” Another eyebrow raised.
“Umm, this gonna sound weird, but it’s like I’ve known you from somewhere before.” I hesitated, facing him.
“Ohh, really. Hmm…” he said mocking me.
“Umm, never mind. We’ve probably never met before.” I said looking back to the book and trying to concentrate on what Mr. T is saying. I could see him smirking from the corner of my eyes.
The bell rang and it was time for lunch. I quickly got out off my seat and walked – half jogged out of the class and into the cafeteria.
As soon as I got into the cafeteria, Stephanie dragged me into a table half full.
“Here I’ve save you a seat.” She said gesturing the seat next to her.
“Thanks Stephanie.”
“Steph.” She corrected me.
“Right, Steph sorry.” I apologized.
“Apology accepted.” She said smiling.
“Now put your things down and let’s get in the line before all the good stuff is gone.” She said grabbing my hand.
“Umm, Steph… I brought lunch.” I showed her the brown paper bag.
“Ohh, well… that’s fine. Just wait here while we get our lunch.” She let go of my hand and went into the line.
There was suddenly a hand holding out a book in front of my face.
“You forgot this.” The owner of the hand said.
I looked up to whose hands was it and saw that it was Alex’s. I looked at the book again and saw that it was my book. I blushed.
“Thanks.” I said taking the book from his hand and put it inside my bag.
“You’re welcome.” He said grabbing the seat beside me. I can feel everyone eyes on us.
“So have you figured it out yet?” He asked making me confused.
He saw the confusion in my face and said, “Ohh you haven’t huh.”
“Figure out what?” I half yelled.
“You’ll see.” And with that he left leaving me more confused.
“Oh my god! You know Alex.” Steph said sitting next to me.
“Wow that was Alex sitting on our table just now.” One of Steph’s friends said.
“How did you know him?” Steph asked excitedly.
“I bumped into him this morning and he’s in my English Literature class.” I shrugged taking a sip of my water.
“We have bumped into him before and we were in some of his class but he never gives us his time of the day.” One of the girls said.
“He is not giving me his time of the day.” I disagreed. “He was just returning me the book that I had accidentally left in class” I explained.
“But even so-“
“So, what’s up with this Alex guy anyway?” I asked cutting them off before they could say anything more.
“What?!” they exclaimed.
“Well, she is new. So she is forgiven.” Steph said calmly.
“Let me tell you about him. He is hot, good looking and have a body to die for. He is the captain of the football team, a straight A’s student and also the senior student body president. He just moved here a year ago and he already has a fan club here.” Steph explained excitedly. Whoa… I thought.
“Ohh yeah and he’s single.” She added.
“Single? Is that even possible? What about Brianna? Aren’t they together or something?” I asked confused. Men like him are always taken, I thought.
“Hah. She wish.” One of Steph’s friends said.
“Brianna has been trying to make Alex fall for her, but he’s just not interested. Serve her right for being snobby all the time.” Steph said disgusted.
“Ohh...” that was all that came out from me. They were all staring at me now.
“What?” I asked. They were still staring at me. Maybe they were expecting a better respond than what I’ve given to them.
Apparently they were not staring at me but at something behind me. So I ignore them and just eat my sandwich. Then I heard someone moving the chair beside me.
“Mind if I join you girls?” he asked.
It was Alex. I recognized his voice. So I looked up to see everyone staring at Alex. Steph was nodding with her mouth half – opened.
Alex sat beside me. What is with him bugging me all the time?
I could feel his gaze on me so I looked at him.
“You want some?” I offered him my sandwich. I thought that maybe he was staring at my lunch.
“No thanks. I’m kind of full.” He laughed while shaking his head.
“Well, your loss.” I shrugged. I continued eating my sandwich. I looked at the girls and they were still looking star struck. I mean what is it with girls and hot guys? Or maybe there’s just something wrong with my brain. Eli will agree with the later.
Again I could feel his eyes on me. So I looked at him again. “Do I have something on my face?” I asked rudely.
I heard the girls gasped at my rudeness.
“No. Your face is fine. It’s perfect actually.” He said coolly.
I blushed but keep still keeping my eyes on him. I could see that he was studying my face.
“You’ve changed a lot.” He said as if he knows me.
“Sorry… what?” I almost choked on my sandwich.
He shook his head and left the table leaving me more confused than ever.
“Oh my god! Have you known Alex from somewhere before?” Steph finally spoke.
“What? No, no, I… I don’t think so.” I said trying to remember something but nothing came up.
“Then why did he say that you’ve changed.” Steph asked frustrated.
“I… I really don’t know.” I was really confused.
“Look, I’ve gotta go. I have to get to my locker before my next class starts.” I lied. I just want to get away from this. So I walked out of the cafeteria and into the empty hallway. I take my time walking to my locker. On my way there I continued eating my half eaten sandwich. By the time I got to my locker, I had finished my sandwich. I fished for the books that I’ll need for my homework today from my locker.
I then went to my next class, which is Chemistry. The chemistry lab is in the next building. It was a 10 minute walk from my locker, so I had plenty of time before class starts.
I saw that Alex has the same chemistry class with me. Ugghh, how unlucky can I get, I thought.
I sat behind him which is next to a guy because it was the only seat that was empty.
“Hi, I’m James.” The guy next to me introduced himself.
“Umm, hi. I’m Christine.” I smiled at him.
“I’ve heard people saying that you’re beautiful like a fallen angel but I didn’t believe them. I guess you proved me wrong.” He leaned closer to me. Oh oh, I’ve heard this line somewhere before. I was wishing I won’t have this guy problem here since there was a lot more beautiful girls here but they just keep coming, don’t they? Maybe he thinks that I’m a new toy that he could play with. I sighed.
I backed away from him. The bell rang but the teacher wasn’t in. So we have a free period. Alex was facing the guy on the next bench, chatting with him. James keeps on talking about him and keeps on getting closer and closer to me until there’s no more room left for me to move away from him. I could see that Alex was smirking. I guess he was having fun seeing me being tortured like this. Ugghh, I hate him.
The bell ring and it was time to go. I was about to leave but James stopped me before I could.
“Hey…” he started.
“Umm, I could show you around town if you don’t mind? And maybe we could grab something to eat after that. So what do you think?” he asked staring at me. Hope filled his eyes.
“Umm…”I was trying to think of an excuse to gently turn him down.
“Sorry James. But Christine here already has plans with me.” Alex cut in, looking at me smugly.
“Ohh, well maybe next time.” he said. Disappointment filled his eyes. He left the class without saying goodbye.
“Umm thanks.” I said to Alex.
“Anytime.” He said keeping his eyes on me. I blushed again. He stopped staring at me when someone called him from the door.
“Hey, Alex come one. Coach is waiting for you.” The guy said.
“Bye, Christine.” He winked at me.
I half smiled at him.
I walked out of the classroom and went to the main office to return the signed papers on Mrs. White’s desk. Then I walked out of the office to the waiting area. I see that the school was half empty except for the staff and the football team with their cheerleaders practicing on the field.
I took a sit on the bench. I looked at my watch and it was only half past 3. So I decided to read the book that Mr. T asked us to read while waiting for dad to pick me up.

“Good book isn’t it?” someone said from beside me. I looked to see that it was Alex, again.
“Umm yeah.” I agreed. I was on the last chapter of the book and I find it really good.
“So what are you still doing here? It’s kind of late don’t you think?” he said looking at me.
I looked at my watch and saw that it was already half past 4. I’ve been sitting here for an hour and I didn’t even realize it.
“Ohh.” That was all that came out.
“You sure that someone is picking you up? I can send you home if you want me too.” He offered.
“Umm, no that’s okay. My dad is going to pick me up. Maybe he just got delayed or something.”
“Okay then, I’ll just wait here with you until your dad comes pick you up.”
“Umm, uhh. No, that’s okay. I can take care of myself.” I said looking at him.
“I’m sure you can.” He said looking back at me.
I blushed again. I hate it when he stares at me like that. He always makes me blush for no reason and god I hate it when I blush. My face would just go crimson red like a tomato.
“You like to blush a lot.” He said stating the obvious.
“I know.” I muttered looking down. Thanks to you, I thought.
“I kind of like it. We don’t get that a lot because most of the girls here are fake. But you’re not.” He said. That made me blushes even more. He just laughed at me when I tried to hide my reddened face from him. Why couldn’t I say something? I’ve never experience tongue tied around guys.
Fortunately dad came at that moment. I got up, grabbed my things and walk towards my dad’s car without saying goodbye at him.
“Goodbye and I’ll see you later… Eliz.” He said.
I stopped dead on my track. Eliz, did he just call me Eliz. No one has ever call me that except Jimmy and – , I thought stopping at that.
I turned back to face him but he was already gone. So I continued walking until I reached dad’s car. I got in the car and dad was apologizing at me for being late.
“Sorry honey, the meeting was longer than I thought.” He apologized.
“That’s okay dad.” I told him.
“Are you okay honey? You look like you’ve just seen a ghost. He asked concerned. I must have looked like I was sick.
“Yeah dad, I’m fine.” I assured him.