Fuss

1/1

It was a sopping wet August afternoon, with the birds all burrowed inside their nests and the sun was hiding wistfully underneath the ugly grey coloured clouds. A pair of curious, fifteen and seventeen year-old teenagers were inside and rummaging through Bert’s sister’s room, trying to find something worth of want. Or at least, something they could use as blackmail to make her give them a ride to the mall.

It wasn’t until Bert found a glass vial of nail varnish inside of one of his sister’s numerous make up cases, that the boy had found a bright and cheery alternative to the dreary day. A wicked grin set itself upon his face and he slowly put the object he had found in the palm of his hand. He walked up to the older, black haired boy and stared at the back of his head. Bert then, stepped backwards, preparing himself for the impact and gave a running launch at Jeph’s back.

The other boy squealed and doubled backwards as he felt a sudden weight on top of his spine. He leaned forwards, trying to support it; Jeph was used to this, seeing as he was always the horse whenever his little cousins came around to play. He didn’t think anything of it, until he saw a black glass bottle in one of Bert’s hands. His mouth dropped open in silent terror and he quickly leaned backwards, making the younger boy slide off of his bones. Bert landed with a big ‘ompfh!’ as Jeph darted out of the room, down the stairs and into the McCrackens’ downstairs den.

Bert could only shake his head and roll his eyes. What a puss, he thought as he got up and brushed the lint fibers on his oversized, blue jean shorts. He proceeded out of his sister’s room, down the stairs, into the upstairs kitchen and down the stairs leading to the basement. Following the exact path that his friend had took, he found Jeph in his family’s rec room and furrowed his bushy brows before once again, launching himself to the other boy and wrapping an arm around his spine, giving an unbreakable arm lock around his neck.

“Just... hold still!” Bert shouted, trying to wrestle a surprised and squirming Jeph into submission. He held the small glass bottle in front of his face, seeing the no named brand label and began to take the top off. He dabbed the excess liquid on the tip of the bottle and brought the brush square into his face. The way he figured, he was just having more fun taking a piss out of his friend anyway.

“Ew! What are you doing? Get off me!” the older boy squealed, trying to wriggle his hand out of Bert's grasp as the he held a varnish covered brush out in front of him. “I don't want that shit on my hands!”

The other sighed. “Okay one,” he placed the nail polish neatly next to him, “it goes on your nails, not hands.” Bert took a hold of Jeph's wrists and splayed them out on the carpet they were laying on.

“And two,” he started, grabbing the bottle again and this time, managing to get one line of black coloured goop onto one of Jeph’s fingertips. Jeph struggled underneath the younger boy’s weight and managed to get a hand free before it was seized again and slammed back to the ground. Bert roughly grabbed his hips and flipped him around, so he was now on his back and sat on his waist, legs on either side.

And two,” he began again, grabbing the top cap with two fingers and delicately swishing it around the tube. “I wear it, so shut the fuck up.”

Jeph’s eye began to twitch as the other boy brought the now dark coloured brush closer and closer to his hand, which was now trapped underneath the unforgiving grasp of what was Bert.

“Fuck—fuck it! Stop!” he yelled, eyes going wide with fear as the thing edged closer to his nails. “I’m fucking serious!” Jeph took his free hand and grabbed the bottle out of Bert’s, “this nail polish is disgusting! Why would anyone wear it?”

Bert’s eyes went hollow and his eyebrows lost their usual perk. His entire face had flat lined and he stared at the older boy underneath him straight in the eyes.

“You will be quiet. You will co-operate,” the younger boy growled, shifting his place on Jeph’s hips so his face was now lined directly atop of his, “I am going to give you a manicure. And you will like it.”

Jeph blinked, raising a brow at the other’s new position and nonchalant tone, “and what if I don't?”

Bert narrowed his eyes. “Then... I'll kiss you.”

He smirked and let out a short laugh. “As I—“ But before he could finish that sentence, a pair of softly chapped lips quickly gave a peck onto the other boy’s upper lip of his moving mouth. Jeph only blinked. Again.

“I can't believe you just kissed me.”

Bert gave out a small, short laugh and chucked the bottle of varnish aside. He grabbed the underside of Jeph’s jaw, leaned down and took a deep and loving glance into the other's eyes, doing it again. And he did it all while giving a sort of soft, in love look back into the older boy’s eyes. He couldn't help but to smile at the confused face of Jeph and gently tapped a finger at his nose, giving a toothy grin.

“Believe it.”