My Knight in Shining...Ah, Screw It. He's an Egotistical Asshole.

(12) My Knight and Shining...ah, screw it. He's a

If I were to tell you that the car ride was fun, I'd be misleading you. It was pure hell, well of course. In the form of a car ride. The silence could be cut with a knife. Both of us exchanging glances, truly at a loss of words. & this ladies and gentlemen, is why enemies do not interact. To say the least.

I felt like I had been re-born when I stepped out of the car into the soft breeze of the outside world. Even better to see Blaire talking to Adam outside of the school doors. My thoughts drifted to all the lucky students that didn't have to spend ten minutes in a car with an arrogant jerk.

"Uh, thanks. For the uh, ride." I said, fidgeting with wet strands of hair. "Sure thing." Was the only words spoken as he breezed right by me. My mind went bizerck with his odd behavior. I was re-considering the option of diagnosing him with a severe bi-polar disorder.

But I’d be facetious to think that anyone would believe, or even agree with me.

Asses brainwash people into thinking that they are good citizens.

A hand grasped my arm, and sprung me from my thoughts. I turned to see Max. My heart suddenly fell right away. In the middle of his face was a giant cast. In all of the sense, that it was prettttty funny. I wouldn't laugh, knowing his nose was now broken because of me, and that jerk. It fell even farther to see the confusion and hurt in his eyes.

"Why were you riding with my cousin?" He asked, scanning my face for any detection of me lying to him.

"I missed the bus, and Jacob pulled up asking if I wanted a ride. I didn't really want one, but it was my only transportation to the school." I said. Trying to convince myself, as well as max that I hadn't gone willingly. That it was the entire bus’s fault.

"Oh. Why did you miss the bus?" His grip relaxed a little, letting me know he bought my excuse.

"My mom had another traumatic nightmare, so I came downstairs to comfort her. Forgetting to set an alarm while doing so, waking up late, and therefore...missing the bus." I said as I started to walk to the school entrance.

"You must have woken up pretty late, because I held the bus like fifteen minutes for you." Max said shyly, trying hard to laugh off his experience. But I knew better.

"Awe, Max you didn't have to do that!!" I pleaded

"Promise me you won't next time...?"

He looked up with a certain emotion in his eyes. The same emotion I had seen stir in Jacob’s ocean eyes when he punched max.

"Actually, I'm going to hold it longer next time, so you won't have to ride with him."

Max spat out his words slowly, motioning to the mass gathering of girls around a familiar blonde head.

"Max..." I said stopping him.

"Please, don't. You know I can handle myself." Max sighed heavily, and furrowed his brows. Debating within himself.

"Alright. I guess that's better for the both of us, because if I piss off the bus driver any longer, she might expel me from the bus, and I won't know a way to get to school until my parent's come back home with my car." I smiled at him. Knowing he hadn't agreed with me, when I pointed out the simple fact that I could handle myself around Jacob Naughtingham. It worried me that he hadn't. Wasn't it obvious that I hated his guts? Well...Wasn't it?

**

In math, I decided to get that question answered and be brave. Go against what I had always done.

I. DECIDED. TO. TALK. GIRLY. WITH. BLAIRE.

"Hey." I approached her struggling form, and sat next to her desk. She had her head buried in a math book.

"Oh. Hey. You wouldn't mind like, I don't know asking me something important so I don't have to confuse myself with the homework any longer would you?" I laughed.

"I can do two things to help you." I said, easing my tone down and keeping it from shaking at the suffering of what I was about to say.

"I can help you with my homework, and talk to you about something important." I almost wanted to squint one eye, wondering if I had put myself through any physical pain. But there was none, in fact I felt like a pound or two had been released from my chest. Ironically.

"Gee. Really? Thanks Toby!" Blaire said, scooting her desk closer to mine. I shook my head, and peered into the math book.

I followed my promise. Explaining certain proofs and such to her in the easiest way I could, hoping she would understand and she did. After we finished the last set, she spoke.

"So. Task numero uno is finished, but what did you want to talk about." I groaned inwardly at sharing my feelings with someone other than my mom. I didn't know if this would turn into a catastrophe or not.

"Well, Today I rode in the car with Jacob Naughtingham to school." I paused, expecting her to scream in delight at the mention of his name, like any other girl would. But she didn't. She just stared blankly at me, motioning me to continue.

"Alright, and when I got out, I found Max."

"He was pretty upset that I had rode with him." I said.

"Yeah, well Jacob did punch him in the face." Blaire said, almost laughing. She was probably looking at Max with his cast plastered in the center of his face.

"Yes, but he was my ONLY ride to school, and I told Max that I hadn't even wanted to go with him. That I can handle myself around him. But...Max didn't seem like he believed me." I said, letting all my confusion be read on my face.

Blaire let out a single HA. "Well I mean, the whole school's talking about it Toby."

I gave her a stare, like what on EARTH are you talking about.

"Jacob Naughtingham doesn't date. We don't think he's ever dated. Well, he had a fling with Bridgette for a while, and she said they were dating, but Jacob neither agreed, nor disagreed. Until she started doing his best friend, then he had nothing to do with her. " She paused, raising an eyebrow at my face. Which no doubt was shocked. EW. Jacob and Bitch-ette had a fling??

"Jacob and Bitch-ette had a fling?" I repeated the words in my head out loud. Blaire cracked up into laughter. Max gave us a weird look, and I just gave him a 'you don't want to ask' look. He nodded in understanding, and went back to talking to Adam.

"I LOVE THAT NAME YOU GAVE HER!" Blaire said between laughs, and I laughed with her. Well I mean, it was pretty creative.

After she calmed down, she continued.

"Anyways, so yatta, yatta. Bottom line is- Jacob's always been a flirt, he's never once challenged a girl or picked on her like he does you." She said, and it reminded me of when Max and I had the same discussion. I took it as a joke; not knowing it had symbolism.

"It just makes the school wonder, if you guys's constant bickering means more than both of you realize." She said, and I was about to protest, but the bell rang, and our odd-smelling math teacher walked in. So I let the protest play out in my head.

WHAT THE HELL!? OF COURSE IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. MAYBE UNLIKE THE OTHER GIRLS I DON'T FALL TO HIS EVERY NEED, AND IT PISSES THE MAN OFF!! HAD THEY EVER EVEN CONSIDERED THAT POSSIBILITY!?

BUT NO, THOSE EFFING ADOLESCENT TEENAGERS DIDN'T, THEY HAD TO GO ASSUME WE SECRETELY LIKED EACHOTHER. WHERE THEY OUT OF THEIR MINDS!? BECAUSE WE DIDN'T! DID WE??????

NO...I MEAN I'VE NEVER FELT ANYTHING CLOSE TO LOVE OUTSIDE OF FAMILY LOVE, SO I WOULDN'T KNOW. BUT AREN'T YOU SUPPOSED TO FIND THEM PERFECT, AND HAVE THEM MEAN EVERYTHING TO YOU? IF THAT WAS THE CASE, THEN WE DEFINITELY DIDN'T LIKE EACHOTHER.

BUT... IT DID I GUESS SEEM POSSIBLE THAT I WAS DENYING LIKING HIM, BUT LAST TIME I CHECKED I WASN'T. SHOULD I CHECK AGAIN??

I gasped for breath in my head. When it suddenly pounded with too many thoughts. I took a deep breath, and let my argument rest, that we didn't like each other, and that was final.

Classes were the same. Math was boring, because I found it so easy.

Theater was the same as usual. Jacob and I would taunt, and fight each other, he would laugh, and I’d hate him more. We had to do more on-stage performing. Mr. M. Decided because he was “such a fan of Romeo & Juliet” that we were going to completely finish the story, before moving on. Which I found to be absurdly stupid since I practically already new the play by heart (The free handouts he gave us became quite useful, when bored in math.). But easy classes meant easy A’s. So I didn’t complain much.

History was the same; except for the fact that I talked to Blaire more, and found out she was a lot sportier than I had thought. I first mistook her for a preppy, annoying girly-girl. But she had a good taste in music. Not the same as me, but some bands I was familiar with, and enjoyed listening to every now and then. She was really funny, and was good on advice, so we exchanged numbers. I felt it would take some pressure off of my mom, if I didn’t come to her with every tiny problem.

It was surprisingly easy to talk to Blaire. Not at all, like I had expected it to be. I didn’t know if that was called friendship or not? But it didn’t intimidate me like it had.

The tension between Jacob and Max almost killed me though. It was times like these, when I was glad I didn’t have testosterone. Jacob did get Demetri to hand out invitations to a party he was supposedly having Friday. I just threw mine in the trash on the way out of class. Earning myself a glare from Jacob. It didn’t really bother me though.

It was fourth period, that Adam went home early, that was an issue for me.

“Where’s your protector?” Cody said, his breath tickling my eardrums. I shivered out of discomfort, and tried to ignore the fact that he was now petting my hair.

“He went home early, now lay off Cody.” I said, annoyed. Thankfully, the teacher interrupted.

“Cody, that is enough. Leave Ms. Montgomery alone.” Cody reluctantly agreed, and sat back in his seat, away from my eardrum and my hair. I sighed relieved. There was something about his desperation to get my attention, and flirt with me that border-lined frightening.

I gulped when the teacher said she’d be back in a few minutes, because as soon as she left, Cody kicked the kid next to me out of his seat and sat down nearest me.

He stood there, staring at me.

“Tell me love, do you believe in love at first sight?” It was such an odd question. But nevertheless, I don’t think it had ever crossed my mind to debate that subject.

“I don’t know. Haven’t really….” I paused feeling him pet my hair again. He had scooted his chair closer to me. I gulped, and held my breath.

“Thought… about it.” I managed to finish my sentence. I felt nauseous with every collision his fingers had on my dark hair.

“You’re really pretty.” He stated simply.

He inhaled deeply. “Mhmmm and you smell REALLY good.”

By now other students were looking at us.

“Cody, you’re kind of freaking me out.” I warned.

“Am I?” He asked, trailing his hand down the side of my arm, still smelling me.

“I’m serious. STOP IT!” I whisper-shouted. Earning more looks from people who were talking, and had now stopped to look at us. He just gripped my arm tight, and didn’t move.

“WHAT THE HELL, GET OFF OF ME!” I finally shouted, and he stood, and kicked the chair away. Staring at me fuming. It crashed loudly into a neighboring chair. I cringed at the scary scene laid out before me. Scratch the borderline frightening. This shit was freaking me out!!

“Hey. Buddy, the chick said to leave her alone.” One of the football players said, standing up. I looked at him with my eyes wide. I almost smacked myself. WAS I SERIOUSLY AT THE CENTER OF ANOTHER FIGHT!?? I stood up after that.

“LOOK CREEP! DON’T TOUCH ME EVER AGAIN, OR I’M GOING TO HIT YOU NEXT TIME. OK?” I said, standing up for myself. I began to feel proud.

The football player looked at me with humorous eyes.

“I was going to help you, but looks like you don’t need it.” He smiled and sat back down. Right as the teacher re-entered the room. She gave me and Cody and the a-stray chair a warning-full glare before she rounded the shocked class back up. Cody grabbed the chair, and put in back in place before he went back to the seat behind me. Not once did my nerves relax though. Something about him was just, not right.

“I’ll see you at the party, love.” Cody whispered in my ear, with such a hidden emotion, chills ran all down my spine. I shook off the scared feeling I had. It reminded me too much of my young childhood when I was scared of my dad. I was sure I could handle Cody. Even if he was some-what a muscular soccer player. I was kidding myself to be scared over him. He was no big deal.

The bell rang and the teacher called me over to her desk.

“Tabitha is it?” She asked, putting papers into certain piles.

“Uhm, yes. But I go by Toby.” I said, trying to be polite. Annoyed that all the teachers called me Tabitha.

“Alright, Toby. Do you want to tell me what happened while I was gone?” She asked, setting the papers down and looking up at me. I was use to this. I was very used to teachers asking me about my bruises and absences. I was a good teacher-liar.

“Oh, yeah. You came in at the wrong moment, I promise. I was just telling Cody how he couldn’t look scary if he tried. So him being him and all, had to try and prove me wrong.”

She gave me an odd stare, but I knew she believed me, just because of the certainty in my voice I had required over the years.

“He’s silly.” I finished, and she nodded.

“Alright, but you can come to me if you need me, you know that right?” She said, like they always do.

“Yes Maim.” I smiled, and she excused me. I rode the bus home with Max, deciding not to talk about anything that had to do with Jacob Naughtingham. It was quite pleasant to. We laughed a lot. But one thing that didn’t pass by me, was the Cody now rode the afternoon bus, and sat in the corner of the bus, staring at me.

**************
oooh, creepy. I know. Sorry If it bored you guys, the next couple of chapters things should heat up. SORRY! =)

thank you to all the faithful readers, means a lot to me!! <33