Status: COMPLETE

The King

Sixteen Years Later

Years came and passed in the kingdom. Everyone watched as the prince grew and grew, becoming quite the young man. He was strong, and he was charming, and he was smart. But Prince Brian still had many things to learn.

The teenaged prince hurried down the hall lined with grand tapestries, his footsteps echoing on the hard stone floor, hurrying up the steps to the floor above him. Though the castle was large, he had a knack for remembering exactly where every room was. Which was why it took him no time at all to find the king and queen's chamber.

The room was still dark, the sun not quite risen, when Brian made his way to the side of the large, plush bed.

"Father?" he whispered excitedly. He'd been looking forward to this day for quite some time, for today was Brian's birthday, and his father had made a promise with him.

Slowly waking, the king opened his eyes. "What is it?"

"Don't you remember what day it is?" Brian asked excitedly just as dawn broke on the horizon. Yawning, the king sat upright. "It's my birthday, father..."

"Yes, I know."

"And you promised."

Brian waited expectantly, arms folded across his chest as he stood. Being that he was indeed the prince, he was used to getting his way most all of the time. The prince was spoiled--there was nothing his parents wouldn't give him if he asked for it.

Which was why, a short while later, Brian and the king were waiting as their horses were saddled and made ready to go. Mounting the two white steeds, they began their journey. For today was the day Brian was going to be shown the whole kingdom.

"All of this," the king explained as he led Brian through all of the main shops and streets surrounding the castle, "is where the economy of the kingdom is created. If it weren't for the hard work our subjects performed every day, the kingdom would rely solely on me. By working with them to achieve the success of these small businesses, the townspeople can feel a sense of independence. Though if they ever need something to fall back on, they know we're willing and waiting to help."

Brian smiled as this all was explained to him, eyes widening as they made their way down the cobblestone streets. He tried to take in as much as he could in a short amount of time, but sometimes found himself becoming distracted. Every now and then some of the villagers would gaze up at the king and his prince as they passed, wanting to get a good look at the charming Prince Brian. Girls smiled up at him, and Brian couldn't help but smirk down at them in return, sometimes breaking into a true grin.

As the morning slowly faded into midday, the king and Brian had traveled quite a distance at their slow pace. They'd gone out as far as the plantations.

"This is where all of the food in the kingdom comes from; all of these many plantations have dedicated workers running them, ensuring a good yield is produced of each crop and that the livestock are all alive and well. If it weren't for them, no one would have food," the king explained as he and his son looked over the fields.

"You see, Brian," the king said once they had turned around to head back toward the castle, "everyone here in the kingdom matters, no matter how small. They all work together, all rely on each other to get by. And we depend on them the way they depend on us to make sure they are ruled fairly. It's a great circle that keeps revolving. If one thing goes wrong, everything else will soon follow."

Brian smiled. It was amazing how it all seemed to work together. He'd never really understood why he and the others of royal blood depended so heavily on the peasants. Now, it was all starting to make sense.

"And one day, when the time comes, all of this land and its people will be yours," the king finished. The prince sure liked the sounds of that.

Sometime that afternoon, Brian and the king returned to the village surrounding the castle, coming through a part that had not yet been reached that morning. Brian tried to pay attention as his father explained many things to him, but just the thought of being king and getting to have things his way was causing him to daydream most of the time

And then something caught his eye as they slowly passed. It was a dark alley, seemingly impenetrable by the sunlight. The walls were high and dingy, and Brian could tell it led further in than just what he could see. Brow furrowing when his father said nothing of the place, Brian spoke up.

"What about that?" he asked, causing the king to pull the reigns of his steed, coming to a stop like Brian had.

"That is the only part of the kingdom I have no control of. Technically, it's out of our borders. You must never go there; we're not welcome."

"But...I thought the king could do whatever he wanted?" Brian asked, pushing his horse to move once the king continued forward, back toward the castle. The king just laughed.

"Son, there's more to being king than just...getting your way all the time," he said, and Brian's eyes widened, brow raising. Sure he had turned sixteen that day, but he still carried some of the qualities of an unsure, naïve boy.

"There is?" he asked.

"Of course there is," the king answered. "The king is the head of the political state, and thus is responsible for making many decisions, especially when dealing with war with enemy kingdoms. As king, you must always put the safety and well being of the kingdom and its people first. You must keep in mind that every person needs to be respected, or else they will lose faith in your rule, and could lead a revolt. I've done a rather good job of preventing that in all my years as king, and I hope that once the throne is yours, you have the mind to do the same," the king said.

Brian just nodded his head, taking it all in as they passed through the gates of the castle.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this was going to be out tomorrow, as I'm making Saturdays part of the updating cycle, cuz I get way too antsy over the weekends waiting to update again on Monday lol
But, as tomorrow is going to be uber packed with taking stuff outta my aunt's place cuz she just died (if the way this is worded sounds...cruel or twisted...trust me when I say she wasn't really around much at all for our family), and then going to a family reunion on my dad's side (99% of which I've never met before), and THEN going to my cousin's going away party as he is going into the Coast Guard for the next 6 years, and MAYBE seeing Bruno after that...
well...there really won' t be much time at all for updating :P
So...early update. Woot woot.

And now I gotta really get crackin' on writing. I kinda figured out I wanna add in 1-3 more chapters of Soul Salvation like...in the middle of everything I've already written, or at least add in a handful more scenes of stuff...so I gotta work on that pronto as well lol

Comments??
I dig this story like you wouldn't believe lol
<3