Water cooler Romance

Drowning out the Gray Stained Windows

"So how much longer is the tour?" Lacey asked.

"About 9 more months til we take a 3 week break." Ray announced.

"Wow, that's a long time."

"Yeah, but it wouldn't seem so bad if you were here with me." Frank whispered to Lacey.

She laughed and leaned over and kissed Frank sweetly. "I know baby, but you know I have my career too. It's hard to get 2 weeks off!"

"I know, but wouldn't it be amazing?" he said tucking some of her hair behind her ear.

"It would. But the guys would be sick of me!"

"Hell no we wouldn't!" I blurted out rather loudly.

All heads turned to me. Everyone laughed. I looked around, feeling myself turning slightly red. Forcing out a chuckle like I meant to say my thought out loud. I cleared my throat.

"So...what is your career Lacey?"

"I'm a contemporary dancer." she said smiling at me.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I have been dancing since I was little. I love it."

"And she is good at it..really, really, really good at it. But then again she is good at everything. She can sing too." Frank bragged.

"Shut up! I cannot sing!" Lacey said giving Frank a playful shove.

"Yeah you can, and you know it." he kissed her cheek.

"Well, you may just have to sing for me Lacey." I said smiling at her, staring into her eyes, her big beautiful blue eyes.

What the fuck is wrong with me? I am flirting with my best friend's girlfriend. Someone who clearly, he is in love with, and I am flirting with her! I can't help it, I am very attracted to her. Mikey nudged me.

"Ow." I said rubbing my ribs. I looked at him and he motioned me to lean in.

"You are being odd again." Mikey whispered.

"Sorry, but I guess I am just an odd person." Straight faced I looked into Mikey's eyes.

Mikey laughed and rolled his eyes at me.

We got to the bus and Bob helped Frank get the luggage out of the back of the limo. Mikey and Ray ran in to get back to their comic reading. I started to walk inside and stopped when I felt someone grab my arm.
I turned around to see Lacey standing close to me.

"Wait, you have fuzz or something in your hair." She leaned in closer and started messing with my hair. My heart started beating faster and I felt frozen in front of the door. I stared into her eyes, feeling like a little kid who had a crush on the girl who sat next to me in class.

"There, I think it was fuzz. Sorry.." she said laughing, "it was bothering me. I had to remove it!" I am weird like that I guess.

Smiling back at her, "No, you are not weird, and thanks! I would of felt silly with that fuzz in my hair all day, usually it's Ray that has something in his hair."

"I heard that!" Ray yelled from his bunk.

We all laughed. Then, there was this awkward pause. She still stood close to me, and I still couldn't stop looking at her. She looked down at her feet, then back up at me.

"Excuse me!" Bob said loudly trying to get by with the luggage.

"Oh sorry." Lacey and I both said in unison.

I gave her a half smile and then headed inside to my bunk. Time alone would be a good thing right now. My head is a mess. I need to gather my thoughts and focus.
As I walked in I took off my coat and hung it up on the hook near my bunk. I crawled in and sprawled out on my bed. The sheets were nice and cold and crisp. I layed my head on my pillow and closed my eyes. Sounds around me started to fade and I drifted into a deep sleep.