Sequel: Into My Arms

Turn Right

First Christmas

My POV

First Christmas:


I woke up this morning to a lot of frost on my window. I got up slowly and looked out my window as I saw it was snowing…I immediately thought of Rachael. Then I ran out of my room and as if on cue, Joe and Kevin came running along with little Frankie and we all ran downstairs as Kevin picked Frankie up quickly and continued running. Mom and dad came down and we all saw the presents under the tree and it looked perfect. Rachael helped us pick it out.

It was snowing when we all went to go pick out a tree, Rachael and I went off in a different direction and I noticed her hands were a little cold so I grabbed her hands with mine and rubbed them together. She giggled and I smiled at her. Then her head snapped in a direction.

“That one,” was all she said and I looked in the direction she was looking in.

There it stood. The perfect tree. We called Joe and Kevin over and the four of us stared at it in awe. Then Frankie, mom and dad all came over as well and we all just stood there for a moment and we bought it.

Now, all that would make it the perfect morning, is if Rachael was here. We all began to open presents as we sat around the tree. After a while, pretty much all of the presents were opened when mom got up to get the ringing phone in the kitchen. I saw it was 10:00 and Rachael was supposed to be here by now. She said she would be here by 10 and Rachael hated it when she was late for anything.

“Hello?…oh my god, is she okay?" I heard her say and we all got quiet as my head snapped toward her.

She sighed a sigh of relief but I couldn’t help but feel tense. “No, no it’s not a problem, I’m sure Nicholas would want to see her…alright, we’ll see you soon,” she said and hung up. She walked back over to us.

“Is everything okay?" dad asked as he stood up but her gaze stayed on me.

“Tara and Rachael were in a car accident last night around 10:00, coming home from visiting a relative, in New York…Tara’s okay and so is Rachael but she has a sprained wrist, she has to wear a cast for a while,” mom said and I felt my body freeze in time. “If you want Nick, we can go see her”

“Yea,” I said fast as I stood up.

“Okay go change real quick and we’ll go,” she said and I raced up the stairs with Kevin and Joe on my tail.
----------------
Soon enough we got to the hospital and asked for Rachael Lewis. The receptionist told us the room last but I was thinking about Rachael too much to even hear her say the number. I looked at my watch and it said 10:32. I wanted to go faster but mom kept saying she’ll still be there when we get there but that wasn’t good enough. Eventually we got to the second floor and to Rachael’s room.

I grabbed the handle but hesitated before opening the door slowly. Ms. Lewis turned in her chair and smiled weakly at all of us and she waved us in as she stood up and mom gave her a hug. I walked to the side of Rachael’s bed and just starred at her. She was asleep…but she also looked vulnerable…and I hated to see her like that. I saw her eyes begin to flutter open and she just stared at me for a few seconds and then she looked around.

“Honey, how are you feeling?" Ms. Lewis asked, as she jumped to Rachael’s side.

“I’m fine…what are you doing here? You should be at home…opening presents…and having a Christmas breakfast,” she said as she looked at me.

“Yea right, like I was going to spend Christmas away from my best friend," I said.

“I’ll be right back, I’m going to go find a nurse so she can check you,” Ms. Lewis said and she walked out as mom and dad took Frankie with all of them.

“So what’s the damage chief?" Joe asked, using his nickname for her.

He started calling her that because she always knew how to keep him in line…she knew how to keep us all in line. She smiled lightly.

“I think I heard the doctor saying it’s just a sprain…I’ll have to wear the cast for a week or two I think…not that bad,” she said.

“How’d it happen…do you know?" Kevin asked.

“Well last night I was pretty wiped but I think i heard something about a drunk driver…sliding on the snow…he hit us and we started spinning…the seat belt wasn't working properly, so instead of holding me back when mom stepped on the brakes, I flew forward and my wrist bent the wrong way when I hit the dash board,” she explained and I winced, just at the thought.

“Stupid snow,” I muttered.

“Don’t blame the snow…it’s not responsible for hitting us,” she said with a smile and all I could do was smile and nod.

Soon, the doctor came in and checked on Rachael as we all had to wait outside the room but I found out she’d be able to come home with us. Since it all happened last night, the doctors have been making sure she could come home today for Christmas and I was really grateful for that. She got a purple cast around her wrist and the lower part of her arm and we all left the hospital. We all got home and my family faced Rachael and her mom.

“Are you sure you still want to come over sweetie, you should be exhausted,” mom said.

“No I still want to, I’m fine, really…if the invitation is still available”

“Of course it is,” dad said happily and Rachael and her mom smiled.

“Alright, just give us a half hour and we’ll be over,” she said and we all nodded and I watched them both walk off to their house.
----------------------
While Rachael was at home, I took a shower and dressed nicely and soon enough Rachael was here with her mom and they had presents with them. I quickly took the bag of presents, Rachael was holding with her non-broken hand and led her inside. Soon, some of my family was here and so was Maya and her mom. Pictures were taken, gifts were exchanged, laughs were heard. I really enjoyed Christmas so much more now and I think it’s because Rachael is sharing it with me. Ever since she came along, it’s all been so much better. After a while, I noticed she was dozing off on the couch and I saw it was already 9:00 at night. I glanced over at Maya and saw she was already sleeping and I took Rachael’s hand and led her upstairs to my room. I had her lay down on my bed.

“I want to sing something to you,” I whispered and she smiled as she placed her casted wrist across her stomach.

I brought my keyboard over and set it on my lap as I faced her and I began to play. Then I started to sing.

I can see it in your eyes
Tell me what's on your mind
Don't keep it all inside
I am here for you
Did somebody bring you down
Turn your smile into a frown
I'll help you work it out
When the answer's hard to find
I will give you peace of mind

When you need a friend to call
I'll be right there beside you
To shelter you and guide you
I'll miss you candle light
When your tear drops start to fall
I will be there to dry them
Before you can cry them
On the darkest night
I will be the light
I will be the light

You can share your secrets here
There's no need to be afraid
My love will never change
It's unconditional

Knock the door to your heart
Knocked down and torn apart
I'll help you make a start
And build it up again
Help you shine a light within

When you need a friend to call
I'll be right there beside you
To shelter you and guide you
I'll miss you candle light

When your tear drops start to fall
I will be there to dry them
Before you can cry them
On the darkest night
I will be the light
I will be the light

I stopped and by now I saw a small tear slide down her face but she quickly wiped it away. “Nick…I love it,” she whispered.

“I’m glad,” I whispered back and then she was out like a light, breathing evenly…her stomach and chest rose up and down as I watched her sleep peacefully.

I’ll never forget that Christmas.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments

<<333