Sequel: Into My Arms

Turn Right

Snow

December 16th

Time with Rachael has gone by so fast. We still hung out every day, before school, after school, on weekends and I just cant seem to get tired of her. Even when we aren’t doing anything, I still love her company. We could just be sitting on my bed, starring at the ceiling and I love her presence. It’s a Saturday now and I woke up to see frost forming on my window. It’s cold but there’s no snow yet. It felt like I was forgetting something but I couldn’t place my finger on it. I turned and picked up the house phone that was lying on the floor because I must of dropped it after I finished talking to Rachael last night and I dialed her number.

“Hello?" her voice sang.

“Hey, want to hang out today?" I questioned.

“Of course, make sure you dress warmly though, it’s going to snow,” she said with excitement.

“How do you know?" I smiled.

She has always been a good guesser but now she’s guessing the weather? “Open your window, you can smell it coming, I’m outside right now,” she said and I jumped up and over to my window.

I opened it and felt the cold chill and then I saw her outside, laying down on her lawn.

“Rachael, you’re going to catch a cold, you should go back inside and get ready, then I’ll come by and we’ll hang out,” I said.

“A few more minutes?" she questioned.

“A few more,” I sighed and just watched as she laid there.

Then like she promised, I watched her get up. I told her I would pick her up in an hour and we hung up. I showered and got dressed for the day and when I walked out, Joe walked by.

“Mom I’m hanging out with Rachael today!" I called.

“Isn’t today Rachael’s birthday?" Joe questioned before mom could respond and I felt a lump in my throat.

“Today’s her birthday?!" I shouted.

“Yea, I over heard mom talking about it to Ms. Lewis…you’re her best friend, you didn’t know?" he asked as Kevin came over to us.

“You didn’t know?" he asked in shock.

“Yes, I didn’t know!" I shouted in annoyance. “And I just got off the phone with her and mentioned nothing about it, but she didn’t either…and after what she did for me for my birthday,” I said.

I was so disappointed in myself. “Oh yea, that was really nice of her…and you didn’t even remember her birthday,” Joe said and smacked the back of my head.

“She never told me!" I defended.

“I heard she doesn’t like telling people about her birthday,” Joe said.

“You should call her back…or get her something really nice at least,” Kevin suggested.

I ran back into my room and dialed her number and she picked up right away. “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry…” I started to say fast.

“Nick what are you sorry about?" she laughed.

“Cant tell you, it’s a surprise, change of plans though, I’ll pick you up in two hours now, so be ready,” I said and hung up quickly. “Kevin, I need a ride to the mall!" I yelled as I raced out of my room.

Joe and Kevin came with me as Kevin drove us to the mall near by. He’s only fifteen but he’s an excellent driver and he’s getting his permit/license soon. The goal was to find Rachael something for her birthday and to help me plan out the day with her. We got in there and began to walk around.

“So what exactly do we buy a girl for her birthday?" I asked.

“It isn’t any different than getting Maya something for her birthday,” Joe stated.

“But Rachael is different,” I said and they both smirked so I knew they knew what I meant.

“Well it depends on what you want it to say…” Joe said.

“Do you want to get her something that says ‘I like you’ or something that says ‘you’re an awesome friend'?" Kevin asked.

“Well I don’t want her to know I like her yet but I want to get her something that she’ll like and appreciate”

“I’m sure she’ll appreciate anything get her Nick,” Kevin said and then I saw something shine and it caught my eye.

I walked over to the display case and starred at the silver ring which said ‘Forever’ on it. “Nick I don’t think you want to go there,” Joe said.

“Why not”?

“If you don’t want her to know you like her, you cant get her a ring like that,” Kevin said.

“Well maybe…we can get it for the future then,” I said with hope and they both nodded.

It was cutting it close but between Joe and Kevin’s baby-sitting money, they helped me pay for it and I had just enough to buy something else for her.

We kept looking around and I saw a light brown teddy bear in the glass window.

“I’ve never had a real teddy bear, all these other girls have grown up with a teddy bear or something but I haven’t,” she said with a small laugh.

“Then I’ll get you one, I promise”


Our conversation rang in my head and suddenly I got and idea for what I wanted to get her.
------------------------
Rachael’s POV

Once I saw Nick leave with Joe and Kevin to go somewhere, I went back outside and laid on the grass. I knew Nick wouldn’t approve but I couldn’t help it. I wanted to be outside when the first snow of the season fell…and plus it gave me time to think. Mom loved to move around a lot because she felt there was no need to get too attached to many things because most of the time they broke your heart. Yea, that’s what I’ve learned from my mother. But I cant help but get attached to Nick. He seems like he’ll always be there for me if I needed him to be. Usually I meet a few friends and I move on…but with him it’s different….his whole family is different…they’re all so welcoming. I’ve had a few guy friends in the past but Nick is completely unique and he stands out from the rest of them. I really like him but I don’t think I’d be able to handle the pain and heart break if we drift apart. What if I leave again? What if he leaves?…not likely but it’s an option. I don’t want to hurt him by getting into a relationship with him and then just letting it fall…but am I even strong enough to not fall even harder for him? Because as of right now, I fell…and I fell pretty hard.

Something made me want to lift my head, so I did and saw the boys coming back, so I shot up and ran inside. “What’s the rush Rach?" mom asked.

“Nick…he told this morning I shouldn’t be outside but I went outside anyway and now he’s home,” I said and she nodded as she smirked and I rolled my eyes. “He doesn’t like me that way,” I said. Even though I wish he did.

“I didn’t say anything,” she defended.

“No but you were thinking it”

“Yea, yea…hey does he know it’s your birthday today?"

“Umm I don’t think so, he didn’t mention anything about it on the phone…maybe he found out”

“You should’ve told him, I’m sure he went crazy just because he didn’t know”

“Most likely not,” I said as their was a knock at the door.

“I’ll be in the shower, have fun with Nick,” she sang and ran up the stairs as I answered the door.

“Hey th…” I was cut short as I saw what he was holding.

He was holding a small bouquet of flowers and on the front, it had a sign that said ‘Sorry’ on it.

“I’m really sorry, I didn’t know it was your birthday, Joe told me, but I really wish you did” he said as I took the flowers from him.

“I’m sorry, I don’t like advertising it much”

“I know, it’s okay”

“Thank you for the flowers though, they’re really nice,” I said and gently smelled one.

“Well it’s only part of it,” he said and grabbed my hand.

“You were outside, weren’t you,” he stated.

“Umm no,” I said and snapped my hand back but he just chuckled.

“You cant lie to me,” he said and made a face which made me laugh.

“Worth a try”

“Well you said you wanted to be outside when it first snows right? Well go grab a light jacket and then we’ll go outside,” he said and my face lit up.

I quickly put my flowers in a vase, ran upstairs, grabbed a light jacket and I ran back downstairs and out to my porch. I looked to my left and saw him standing there with a small table cloth over the foot stool in front of the seat swing. There was hot chocolate and a container of chocolate covered strawberries. I starred at him in awe.

“Are you serious?" I asked.

He just waved me over and we both sat down on the seat swing as he covered our legs with a blanket. He handed me a cup of hot chocolate and he opened the container and handed me one as he took one for himself. Then he pulled out a cute, little, light brown teddy bear and sat him on my lap.

“I know it’s a little childish but I remembered how you said you never had a teddy bear before so now you can’t say that”

“Nick…” I was speechless.

He is definitely nothing like any other eleven year old boy and I‘m finally happy to find a boy who can match my level. All the others have been arrogant and mean and self centered…but not Nick, he’s everything but those things.

“Now we’re all set for watching the first snow fall,” he said.

“Nick…thank you,” I said gently, looking down at my new teddy bear.

“Consider yourself special miss Lewis, I would’ve done this for a date with someone...and I had Kevin and Joe’s help, but it’s just for you,” he said.

“It means a lot…no one would have ever done this for me…thank you,” I said and then kissed his cheek.

I hadn’t meant to but it was a natural reaction. I saw him blush a little and then he cleared his throat. “So…what are you going to name him?" he questioned.

“Hmm I’m going to name him…Jerry,” I said and he laughed, causing me to smile at him.

“Why?"

“Because it’s your middle name and you bought him for me so I want you to have some part of the name,” I replied and he just smiled gently.

Then something else caught my attention. “It’s snowing,” I squealed and sat forward.

I watched as the first snow flakes fell to the ground but I could tell Nick’s eyes were watching me cautiously. “Why do you love the snow so much?" he asked.

No one has ever asked me. “Because…when it falls on the ground, it’s beautiful…it gives an amazing shine and it glitters in the sun light…and it’s a sign of happiness…plus it’s lucky”

“How is it lucky?"

So I began to tell him happy stories about when I was younger on the days that it first snowed during the season. He listened so intently to me and my words. I held Jerry close to me. He fit perfectly in my arms. Not only was the snow lucky. I was lucky…it was probably because of the snow…it made me lucky. But I know I was lucky…and I didn’t need anyone telling me that.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333